Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-13-2012, 11:45 PM   #21
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: A note from your child's teacher...

When I save contacts I just press the contact button and it saves it for me. I don't think it is creepy that someone saved a teachers number thinking they might have to reach them in the future. I also don't think 7:30 is an unreasonable hour. I never know the right way to contact a teacher so I go by what information I have. My husband gets calls from work on off hours sometimes on his cell. I can get being annoyed that someone called the home number but I wouldn't be livid or postal about it.

Advertisement

nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:20 AM   #22
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by *KaiMom*
I honestly don't see the issue. You called from that number (if you don't want people to have it you should block it) what if 730 was the only time she could call? What if she doesn't have email? 730 is a reasonable time IMHO...between dinner and bedtime.
I feel the same way. Personally I'd never call a teacher outside of school hours but that's just me.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:26 AM   #23
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

I totally agree, OP. DP never, ever gives her cell number to parents, & thankfully we haven't had any problems. She has had to, by necessity, give her number to a handful of students she has charge of on an overnight school trip (the kids are free to roam the amusement park, aquarium, or whatever & it's customary to give the kids her number).

There are a couple of well-known stalker-y parents in the school, though...as in, will look up the teacher's home address on the property tax website, then drive by, just so they know where to find the teacher. We live in the same neighborhood as a couple of these types of parents & DP teaches their kids. I know they know where we live, b/c the kids ride their bikes or walk by frequently. Fortunately, the parents have not overstepped that boundary, but I've already let DP know that I'll handle it if either of those parents shows up at the door.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:36 AM   #24
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, I don't call any professional at home- during their off time. I have permission to call dd's teacher but i don't. I email her and she can email me back or call me when she wants to. I would probably be mad if a parent called me on a personal phone line after hours. There are parents who feel they need to talk every single day. When I was a preschool teacher our director had to change her phone number because a parent called her every day at home to ask non-important stuff. Things that could have waited until morning drop-off when she makes her self available to speak with parents, or at any other time during the day.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:59 AM   #25
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by *KaiMom* View Post
I honestly don't see the issue. You called from that number (if you don't want people to have it you should block it) what if 730 was the only time she could call? What if she doesn't have email? 730 is a reasonable time IMHO...between dinner and bedtime.

Would you call your doctor at home? Your vet? Your plumber? Your child's teacher is no different.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 11-14-2012 at 07:01 AM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:14 AM   #26
doulamomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola

Would you call your doctor at home? Your vet? Your plumber? Your child's teacher is no different.
But a vet, dr and plumber all have emergency after hour numbers. I think the reason op was called didn't warrant a call to home, but I don't think it was wierd that she saved the contact info, and I agree that it's very possible she didn't know it was a home number and was expecting to leave a voice mail. I also don't think 7:30 is a crazy time to call. She very well could work somewhere she is unable to call during the day. But my dh gets calls regularly as late as 10 and as early as 7, so maybe my view is a little skewed

Sent from my droid
Old 11-14-2012, 07:22 AM   #27
sojomisa
Registered Users
seller

I would never call a teacher at home, that's absurd. Note to school, email, school voicemail would be the only way I would contact teachers. I think it does cross a boundary that shouldn't be crossed unless instructed to do so.

To the doctor/vet analogy - They deal with life or death/illness situations of course they have emergency numbers and that's what they're used for. That doesn't apply to teachers.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain. - Vivian Greene
sojomisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:34 AM   #28
doulamomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojomisa
To the doctor/vet analogy - They deal with life or death/illness situations of course they have emergency numbers and that's what they're used for. That doesn't apply to teachers.
I agree with you, but I would bet money that most of the calls they get aren't actual emergencies either

Sent from my droid
Old 11-14-2012, 07:57 AM   #29
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think you are over reacting. Sorry, but I do. Unless you have specific reasons to believe this person was trying to wreck your life, I'm sure they had no idea they were bothering you. Do you get calls all the time or just the one since school started? If the parent repeats the offense, you can direct her to more appropriate ways to contact you. And of course now you know what needs updating in your newsletter for next year.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:15 AM   #30
sojomisa
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulamomma View Post
I agree with you, but I would bet money that most of the calls they get aren't actual emergencies either

Sent from my droid
Sure but that's kind of irrelevant. Those offices provided that number for their patients to call so they do, kwim?

I believe you should call people (especially those you don't know personally!) at the numbers they've provided and given "permission" to use - phone lists, written on paper, emailed to you.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain. - Vivian Greene
sojomisa is offline   Reply With Quote