Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-13-2012, 03:48 PM   #1
coffeegirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
SNS? + How to boost a low supply?

[re-posting from FF supoort forum]

I have a starter SNS system (Medela, $15 off Amazon) and I'm trying to reach my goal of using it 3-4 times daily at the least. My life is hectic (two-year old, 6 week underweight newborn, and some other stuff). If this works I'd like to increase the frequency of use.

My issue is low supply. Had it with DD1mnd now again with the new baby. So we mostly formula feed, but my ideal would be mixed feeding- both formula and nursing, at least until my newborn is 6ish months or so.

Anyhow....question is, does this thing work? Now I have a very simple, small, basic one and we've got it to work.

But can this actually help increase my supply? Anyone here ever used it for that purpose? Any tips or help at all would be appreciated!!

Advertisement

Last edited by coffeegirl; 11-13-2012 at 05:56 PM.
coffeegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:51 PM   #2
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.
Re: SNS (Supplemental Nursing System)?

I used one with my son, it allows you to nurse and suppliment at the same time th esuckling will help with building milk supply, but for me ultimately fenugreek made the biggest difference in building back up my milk supply. I found the sns tedious and hard to use, even harder to clean, and not doabel outside the home for me.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:55 PM   #3
coffeegirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: SNS (Supplemental Nursing System)?

Thanks for the reply! I used fenugreek with my last DD and it did seem to work.
I'll pick some more up. I'm only going to use the SNS at home- no way am I draggoing that PITA out in public. LOL

Any other supply-boosting tips?

Old 11-13-2012, 06:12 PM   #4
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Fenugreek works best if taken with blessed thistle. 3-4 capsules of each 3-4x a day. Breast massage before nursing, massage/compressions while nursing. Are you pumping at all. If baby is nursing well, the best thing is to nurse, nurse, nurse. Lots of bare skin to skin contact and frequent feedings.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:26 PM   #5
coffeegirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: SNS? + How to boost a low supply?

Blessed thistle....I haven't heard of that one before. I'll have to look into it, thank you!

No, not pumping at all this time. Should I be? (we don't have a pump but I can look into renting one if necessary....)

Old 11-14-2012, 07:52 PM   #6
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: SNS? + How to boost a low supply?

If you could rent a pump, I think it would help. What I recomend is power pumping. That's pumping for 5 minutes, resting for 1, pump 5, rest 1, pump 5 more. You can do this as often as you can and it tells your body 3 times make more milk, make more milk, make more milk.

If you get WIC, most WIC offices rent out pumps for a very reasonable rate.

My Avon Earn giftcards with Swagbucks My Blog - Change Jar Blog
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote