Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-14-2012, 08:33 AM   #31
NYCVeg
Registered Users
seller

Re: A note from your child's teacher...

I wouldn't call a teacher at home, and I can tell the difference between an urgent issue and a non-urgent issue, but there are plenty of people that lack common sense. OP, if you don't want people to call you at home, then you should either 1) not make calls from your home number or 2) make sure that your home number simply appears as "Blocked" on people's caller ID.

My father is physician and sometimes he needs to return patient calls from home. BUT he always makes sure his number is blocked/unlisted, so that patients can't save it and call him at home directly.

Advertisement

NYCVeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:40 AM   #32
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola

Would you call your doctor at home? Your vet? Your plumber? Your child's teacher is no different.
I have home numbers for our doctor, vet and plumber I do not have a home number for my kids teachers this year, but I had cell phones last year and we texted regularly about school stuff as well as me receiving pics of ds2 during the day as proof of him smiling (if it had been a rough morning). Maybe it's because of the townsize I live in.

I guess I feel that if the teacher gives out the number it's fair to use. Calling from a number doesn't mean you have given it out, so I don't think you should have been called at home.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:42 AM   #33
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojomisa

Sure but that's kind of irrelevant. Those offices provided that number for their patients to call so they do, kwim?

I believe you should call people (especially those you don't know personally!) at the numbers they've provided and given "permission" to use - phone lists, written on paper, emailed to you.
I agree...and I'm still trying to figure out what would be such an educational "emergency" that it would be appropriate to call a teacher at home after hours In a true emergency, DP's administrator might call her, but that's about it. Oh, and if DP gets a message that Student X's mom needs to talk to her, but doesn't get home until 6 or 7, DP would call the parent at that time from home, but that wouldn't make it okay to call DP back at that number at 7pm the next time mom has a question. Teachers are mostly willing to accommodate an odd schedule to facilitate communication...don't abuse or take advantage of it; they're not on call 24hrs a day.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:48 AM   #34
myoo
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think it crosses the line, since you did not specifically give that info out to parents as a contact number that they could use. My friend just had the parent of one of her students call her on her cell phone at 8 p.m. recently to say, "My son left his football jersey in the classroom, can you come to the school right now and let us in the classroom to get it? Mr. XX (former principal) gave me this number and said you wouldn't mind." My friend was steaming mad. Since the former principal apparently seemed to think it was appropriate, she felt like she couldn't say no. So she had to leave her own 1 yr old to drive in to the school and meet the mom there to look for a jersey that ended up not even being in the classroom at all.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:40 AM   #35
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriek38 View Post
I agree...and I'm still trying to figure out what would be such an educational "emergency" that it would be appropriate to call a teacher at home after hours In a true emergency, DP's administrator might call her, but that's about it. Oh, and if DP gets a message that Student X's mom needs to talk to her, but doesn't get home until 6 or 7, DP would call the parent at that time from home, but that wouldn't make it okay to call DP back at that number at 7pm the next time mom has a question. Teachers are mostly willing to accommodate an odd schedule to facilitate communication...don't abuse or take advantage of it; they're not on call 24hrs a day.
Yep. I can't think of a single "emergency" that would warrant calling a teacher at home after hours. Teachers are suppose to communicate with parents but that does not mean any parent should be contacting them during off hours without permission.

And I don't call back numbers that show up on my phone- I return calls based on the number that they left for me to call them back.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:59 AM   #36
I_run_with_scissors
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think that unless the teacher gives out their phone number and says its ok for you to call me at home, then its not acceptable. I would not be impressed either.
TTC #4
I_run_with_scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:03 PM   #37
MIpiccolo44
Registered Users
seller
seller

As a teacher (although not teaching right now) and wife to a HS band director, I totally agree with the OP. My DH uses his cell for band stuff all the time, so most of the parents have his number. BUT The other week my DH got a call on his cell but it was 9:30 pm - and she was calling to complain because she had ordered the wrong size warm up outfit for her son! The warm-ups are expensive, but SHE ordered it, it didn't fit, and she was trying to demand that the band refund her money or get her a new one. They are customized things that can't be returned, and to order singles separately costs more. There was no way for my DH to fix it for her, other than contacting the company and seeing if they would replace it at their cost - she reamed him out for 45 minutes!!!!! I was sooo mad. She could have talked to him anytime at school (he's there a lot), or e-mailed or texted, but mostly I was mad because she was yelling at him for something that wasn't his fault, for a long time. Luckily for her, the company did agree to replace them, but did my DH call them after hours? NO - he called the next day.

The most ironic part is that most of the parents have his number and a lot of his student leaders and college age employees are much more respectful of personal time than the parents! When the students or employees call at off-times, it's for something really important (or they text) but when it's a parent it's usually not something that needs immediate attention.
MIpiccolo44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:34 PM   #38
CASMama711
Registered Users
Formerly: chmom77
seller

It's not ok to call any professional at home or on their personal cell for a non-emergency unless you have specifically been told that it's ok to call that number. Many teachers make phone calls to parents from their cell phones because they often don't have any other phone in their classrooms to call from. In this case, OP called from home during the summer, when she may not have had access to her classroom and/or a school phone. The fact that she used the phone that was available at the time doesn't make it ok for parents to interrupt the teachers' personal time for a non-emergency... and there are VERY few things that could actually be legitimate after-hours emergencies for a teacher.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:59 PM   #39
Hope4More
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by carriek38

As a teacher of middle school, any serious confrontation between students that went unreported due to peer pressure, suicidal behavior, or any physical confrontation would be fair game for a parent to call me at home immediately. I don't post my number, but I don't block it when I call either. I have Emails come in immediately to my phone where there are responded to from 6 am to 9 pm. I think it's a courtesy not everyone can afford, but with just one child, I still can.
I have given my cross to Jesus, who has a special talent for overcoming them, even if it means giving His own life...
Hope4More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:48 PM   #40
debmom2boyz
Registered Users
Formerly: n***_n_b**
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had a parent call me about rounding homework. She didn't understand how the child got it wrong. Still not sure how she had my number...she was PTA president at the time. She called me at 10pm last school year...I was asleep. This summer she called my home number about a transportation change. My dh called me and I was in panic as he rarely calls e at work. Really??

If I don't give you my number, do not call me at home.

I have ad to use my personal phone and after hours to call parents...only so any hours in the day and some can't be reached during the day.
debmom2boyz is offline   Reply With Quote