Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-13-2012, 11:23 PM   #151
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Re: November Chicken Chat Thread~~~Join in!~~~

Probably the stress of what happened last night and that cat stalking your hens.

Something was bothering mine last night. Heard Fred crowing at 1 am, over and over. When he'd been doing it for 10 min straight I went out and checked. Didn't see anything but he stopped after that. If something was around it may have spooked them enough to cause the drop in production I saw today. 6 hens not laying is pretty significant. Oh and the non-layer isn't Hazel! I saw her in the nest box today.

Advertisement

3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:02 AM   #152
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That makes sense.

I have a cpl new babies. Cute little buggers. All perfect little cochins. Can't wait for the others!!!!! The one with the owie seems all better.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:17 PM   #153
Bumstoppers
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Do you sell your eggs? I mean 13 a day
Bumstoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:58 PM   #154
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Well I would if my family would stop asking for them. So far my mom has been pretty fair. She traded me a loaf of banana bread for eggs last time. Which brings up something I've been thinking about... how do you politely decline giving eggs away? Esp. where family is concerned? I mean, that's not a cheap "gift".

oh and it's 14 now. Everyone is laying now!

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 11-14-2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:54 PM   #155
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
Well I would if my family would stop asking for them. So far my mom has been pretty fair. She traded me a loaf of banana bread for eggs last time. Which brings up something I've been thinking about... how do you politely decline giving eggs away? Esp. where family is concerned? I mean, that's not a cheap "gift".

oh and it's 14 now. Everyone is laying now!
My friend and I have this conversation all the time. She doesn't like to sell her eggs, as she likes to have them as "Thank you" gifts for people who drive her kids places or what have you. We sell a lot of eggs here (DH sells 6+ dozen a week, I often sell 2+ to my clients, neighbours buy) and she wonders how I deter people who ask for eggs. I don't have actual eggs left in my house at the end of the day to give to anyone so it is easy to say, "No, sorry...." because I simply don't have a dozen to give. When we first started, I gave some to friends, but I don't anymore. Well, I do, but as hostess gifts... What hostess doesn't appreciate a dozen, fresh, gorgeous eggs?

Now, we do give MIL eggs when she wants,which is about once every two weeks or more. We fill our water jugs at will at her house because our well is contaminated, so I don't mind giving her eggs. But, she also doesn't put a big demand on us for too many eggs.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:22 PM   #156
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I finally found a way. I had a conversation and it ended perfectly, no more asking for eggs. I simply said do you know anyone interested in buying eggs? We have a little extra, more than we eat. With the price of corn going up we could really use the extra income to put towards feed, even someone that could trade dried corn or grain we could feed them? I don't get the asking for eggs all the time now. I have my first "real" sale tomorrow! I gave them a doz free thank you eggs. It's MIL's neighbors. They gave us a bed!! She's even bringing me some cartons! I listed them online for $2.50, but we will only be selling them to this cpl for $1.50. They helped us and we will help them save on eggs forever, lol. We desperately need the money for I would give them all to them as a thank you.

How's the eggs Liz?

How's your girls Becky?
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 11-14-2012, 08:01 PM   #157
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Bator is going great, has been stable. I think I finally got the right plugs open that the humidity's been a stable 36% for two days now and the temp has been exact.

I'll chat more in a couple days. It's been really hard here. Our dog Daisy, has gone down hill fast in the last 24 hours. If she does not pass on her own we'll be putting her down this week end. My head hurts from worry and crying. I don't know what is going to happen to her sister when she's gone. They are litter-mates and have never been apart. So hard.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:38 PM   #158
Happy Mommax4
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
so sorry Liz, I'll be thinking of you guys

Chloe
Old 11-14-2012, 08:43 PM   #159
Bumstoppers
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Girls are okay. We have mostly low egg days now, and that's because of the light thing. When we turn one on for them, that's when the real bullying starts. Can't wait until the peppers are here.
Bumstoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:06 PM   #160
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh no Liz, sweetie all my prayers are with you and your family. That's so very hard loosing a long time companion. Huggs hun!!! Take all the time you need to your self, or with your baby. Just love her.

Becky-Did you every read my post about the 2 lamps we had to set up? I mounted them back from the roosts so the heat radiated to the whole area. Helped tons with the bickering over the warm spot.