Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-14-2012, 06:08 PM   #21
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Kids at u/s

With my first OB I'm sure we could have brought an older child - but it was our pregnancy for DD, so there were no other kids. *sigh* I loved that OB.

At the hospital here, you are not allowed to have anyone in the room with you. You are not allowed to see the screen. The tech rarely speaks or says anything (even just small talk, bedside manner stuff). They tell you nothing, don't check for gender. They will show you baby for a couple minutes at the end of the scan, if they decided there is time.
At that point, if your partner is there they would be allowed in. No children are welcome under any circumstances.

I freaking HATE that u/s dept.
I have had some rude and disgusting comments made by various techs there.

It's because of their "rules" and the fact that they will not change/bend them under any circumstances that I refuse to go there this time.
I can't face an u/s without DH there beside me. And I can't lay there for over an hour before I even see this baby. I need to see Hiccup moving and kicking, then the tech can take the screen and do whatever needs to be done. But I NEED that reassurance first, I need to know I'm not laying there with another dying or all ready dead baby inside me.

(sorry. I have a lot of anxiety about this. )

Advertisement

canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:45 PM   #22
Christylkeller
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have never had a problem having my children with me for U/S, but you should definitely check as I did go to one office prior to children that wouldn't let the spouse even come back for regular visits much less U/S... I quickly found a different provider that was family friendly!

Homeschooling mom to A- '01, M- '05, E- '08 and G born 3/5/13 VBA3C

Always missing my 17 weeker E 7/25/11
Christylkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:37 PM   #23
EmsMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have an u/s Monday and they will not be coming I would be so upset if there was no heartbeat and don't want the kids to see that....plus they don't know I'm pg yet lol. We're only at 13wks right now. I just started thinking about how neat it would be for them to see. I will definitely inquire about this on Monday! I never brought DD with me to any of the appt's or u/s I had with ds. She was only 1 at the time.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:53 PM   #24
jenbengtson
Registered Users

My Mood:

i have been taking my kids to all of my US appts. I have my Big scan next week and my Dr office has there own tech and they said my kids could come.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:11 PM   #25
essential1892
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbakers View Post
With my first OB I'm sure we could have brought an older child - but it was our pregnancy for DD, so there were no other kids. *sigh* I loved that OB.

At the hospital here, you are not allowed to have anyone in the room with you. You are not allowed to see the screen. The tech rarely speaks or says anything (even just small talk, bedside manner stuff). They tell you nothing, don't check for gender. They will show you baby for a couple minutes at the end of the scan, if they decided there is time.
At that point, if your partner is there they would be allowed in. No children are welcome under any circumstances.

It's because of their "rules" and the fact that they will not change/bend them under any circumstances that I refuse to go there this time.
I can't face an u/s without DH there beside me. And I can't lay there for over an hour before I even see this baby. I need to see Hiccup moving and kicking, then the tech can take the screen and do whatever needs to be done. But I NEED that reassurance first, I need to know I'm not laying there with another dying or all ready dead baby inside me.

I can't even imagine not being reassured at the beginning of the ultrasound that the baby had a heartbeat- especially if you have had previous losses.

I have usually had very good experiences with u/s techs and even took my kids to one before (I didn't mean to- I thought I was just having a normal quickie appointment). There was one time though that really got me upset- I was pregnant and went in for my first ultrasound and the tech asked me if I was sure I was pregnant because she didn't see anything. It was the tome of her voice that got me- it sounded like she thought I was crazy and wasting her time. I ended up having a miscarriage : ( It's okay though because my next pregnancy when I took my kids to the u/s my son knocked the same tech's water over by accident and it got all over her cell phone
Old 11-14-2012, 09:16 PM   #26
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbakers

Wow that is horrible! I have been in the hospital for almost 2 weeks now for ruptured membranes. We do twice weekly u/s BPP's and they are wonderful. I go to the radiology dept for them. They show us everything, explain it all to us. The tech scans us first then the perinatologist comes in and scans again. Both are wonderful and explain and show us everything. Nothing is hidden at all. Dh goes down with me everyone and nothing is said about it.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
7 for now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:22 PM   #27
mumtothem
Registered Users
seller
seller

My OB does the u/s himself and he lets kids and as many people as I want in there.Very family friendly.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:39 PM   #28
rverrone11
Registered Users
seller
seller

With my first, the 20 week ultrasound was in the hospital. They said no one else was allowed other than me and one person. That didn't bother us because we didn't have any kids and no family around.

With my second DD, the 20 week ultrasound was at a stand alone ultrasound center. Anyone was allowed in. They had about 6 chairs set up in the room and a TV screen on the wall so everyone could watch. My DH and then 2 year old DD were in the room.

I just had my 20 week ultrasound on Monday for this baby. It was at a hospital (different hospital than I went to with DD1), and the tech asked DH and the girls to wait in the waiting room while he did the important measurements, and then once he got everything he needed, he brought them in and showed them the baby. The room wasn't set up at all for people to watch (there was one chair), and he said it just made it easier for him to focus on what he needed to do and then he can do the fun stuff when the family comes in and not have to worry about getting the measurements.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:57 PM   #29
HugeBabyBoy
Registered Users
seller

I had DH, DD and both my parents. I called ahead to make sure it was okay.
HugeBabyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:32 PM   #30
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

For me and my hospital, it really depends on what tech you get. I've sometimes got really nice ones that welcomed my kids, but I've gotten some that wouldn't even let my mom in!
trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote