Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-14-2012, 09:38 PM   #11
juliasmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
For me, the best way to curb laundering costs and reduce wear and tear (not to mention make life easier) was to buy a big enough stash to go 3-4 days between washes. Honestly, larger loads wash clean just the same and dry faster. Washing half as often cuts the cost in half.

Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 10:01 PM   #12
cajsmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I realize not all of us cloth diaper purely for economical reasons, but I found t

Yes, the water/sewer costs add up too unfortunately. We have a gas hot water heater and in our area, it is cheaper to heat water with gas over electricity so that helps our costs out a bit, but when I did our laundry calculations with that factored in recently, I'm still paying a minimum of $25 dollars a month to wash and dry our diaper loads. Before detergent costs. I find this stuff very interesting as well. (as I sit here and listen to my teenage daughter take a 15+min shower.) Sigh...
Old 11-14-2012, 10:56 PM   #13
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: I realize not all of us cloth diaper purely for economical reasons, but I found t

Since figuring out our washing costs I thought to figure out our laundry water cost. To the best of my ability I have come up with $5.09 for the month. So with my estimates from my previous post we spend not including detergent $17.69 a month for our total washing costs. With detergent, fabric softener, oxyclean, borax, and washing soda I estimate between $5-$7 more a month. Making my laundering costs between $23-$25 a month everything included.

Now that can be counted against cloth but this is assuming we wouldn't have had any leaky diaper laundry to do with sposies. This along with the cost of gas to get the sposies to me at least in part cancel each other out. Any leaky diapers we have now just go on his woolies which I of course hand wash requiring only a few gallons of water.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:17 PM   #14
kannondicarpo
seller
seller

My Mood:

Electricity in West Hawaii is INSANE. We pay about 40 per KWH which means I am so NOT breaking even with CDing (but for the fact that I am using most of the same diapers for #4 that I used for #1). I have no idea the cost of paper diapers but we are spending about $72/month just to wash diapers and I hang dry EVERYTHING. If I was drying those loads I'd be looking at adding an additional $36/month.

***I knew our energy was high but after looking at this I am wondering if I could get away with washing in cold (or even warm). Wonder if it's worth messing with my wash routine. Hmmmmmmmm...

Charlene Keala || 9.27.10, Zakary Michael || 10.25.12 & Baby "Momomi" || October 2014 ~

Loving life on the Big Island!
kannondicarpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:42 AM   #15
tjs77tsa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have been washing in warm for almost a year and have never had any problems with my dipes.
tjs77tsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:03 AM   #16
Katiebug_1976
Registered Users
seller

Wow, what a neat site! I calculated my cost: I wash every 3 days and if dipes are not completely dry with one dryer cycle, I just hang them to air dry, or throw them in with the next dryer load, so I'm only calculating 1 dryer cycle for my dipes, 1 cold wah/cold rinse, and 1 hot wash/warm rinse. My total came out to $10.02 per month. I know this doesn't include the cost of the diapers or the water used to wash, but I would have easily spend more than twice that on sposies every month! Also, even if I'm not saving a ton of $$ using cloth, I still LOVE the convenience of not having to run to the store at 3am 'cause nobody noticed that they used the last diaper at bedtime!UGH!! (I so don't miss those days!LOL) I also like the thought that I'm not contributing to landfill pile's, and the thought that there are no chemicals touching my babies sensitive skin is also nice. I know everyone has their own reasons for using/not using cloth and I am totally happy with mine and what it is costing me.
Katiebug_1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:40 AM   #17
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
I haven't seen my energy bill change when we take "time off" compared to when we are using cloth, and we line dried all summer, and now that I'm drying in the dryer for the winter, I'm still not seeing a change... so as cool as that calculator is, it hasn't been my experience.
this except I always use the dryer and stil no change same with our water bill the difference in our bills has been just a few dollars and even that isn't consistant. We even have an old top loader I double wash when I do diapers plus often do a prerinse every 3 days..

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:53 AM   #18
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
I can buy a months worth of disposable diapers (Target brand) for about $24-$25.
I went to sposies for about this long for a spell over the summer and them again when my DD was reacting poorly to some detergent and we were problem solving.. my cost was closer to $50 for the month.. I bought a case that was just under 60 it had like 320ish diapers and that lasted me around 5-6 weeks.. (around 7 diapers a day) When she was younger I would have needed a full case to last the month something needing more.

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:38 AM   #19
cajsmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZmommy View Post
I went to sposies for about this long for a spell over the summer and them again when my DD was reacting poorly to some detergent and we were problem solving.. my cost was closer to $50 for the month.. I bought a case that was just under 60 it had like 320ish diapers and that lasted me around 5-6 weeks.. (around 7 diapers a day) When she was younger I would have needed a full case to last the month something needing more.
Yes, my cost for disposables per month are a little higher as well.(Canada), of course everyone's changing patterns and child's needs vary, but based on 7.5 changes a day (toddler), including wipes are $50 for store brand, $60 for name brand, and $70 for premium brands.

Costs are based on buying the biggest cases available in both diapers and wipes, when they are on sale (which is often), for both diapers and wipes. Size 5 diapers.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:59 AM   #20
lalaith
Registered Users
seller

We used sposies part time and still easily spend $50 a month on them. People always say they can get sposies for $25 a month, and I have no idea how they do it!!!

We'll do cloth from the beginning next time, too, as I easily spent $400 on sposies in the first couple of months, and that's plenty for a nb diaper rental...

That being said, water is crazy expensive here (electricity not so much), so I use flats and do a hot rinse, hot wash. I managed to cut off the final rinse, and I'm thinking of trying to cut off the first one as well, and just do a hot wash.
and the joy my children bring!
lalaith is offline   Reply With Quote