Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-14-2012, 10:24 AM   #31
ColbyCreations
Registered Users
Formerly: naperica
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Your least favorite cliche said to parents?

"ohhhh, you just wait!" that boils my blood!

Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 10:41 AM   #32
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

This is kinda the opposite, but I find it funny when parents are expecting their first baby say, "We're not going to let it change our lives, we're still going to do all the things we used to". Ha ha. Sure you will.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:36 AM   #33
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki
My mom frequently says "HAHAHA! And just wait, pretty soon you'll have THREE in school! Think your busy now?!!!? BAHAHAHA!!!"

..she hates that we homeschool. And I shouldn't ever act stressed out around her, b/c this is her response.

She also likes to remind me, "You play, you pay!" because we have *FOUR* kids (well, one still growing in utero) and apparently that was a mistake in her eyes, or is way too many kids or something...
Omg I can just hear my mom saying that in my head, def sounds like one of those nails on chalkboard kinda things she'd say. I think I'd lose my mind on someone who squawked that at me, bless your heart.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:42 AM   #34
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancermommy1
I hate the "just wait" too.

First it was "just wait until he's born"
Then "just wait until he starts walking"
Then "just wait until the terrible twos"
Now "threes are always worse than twos"
And the big "wait until he's a teenager and you all hate each other"
And finally "wait until he marries someone you can't stand"

Awesome. Thanks.
Lmbo yep, amazing. I usually respond to the just waits with something terribly cynical and snarky. I frequently tell people I'm going to sell him on Craigslist if it gets worse. I can't believe no one has called CPS on me yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friesjm
Here is a good one (a pregnancy one).... I am almost 38 weeks pregnant with my first and planning on having a natural birth (if possible). My mother, who had an epidural for all three kids, keeps telling me... "Oh you think you are going to go all natural, just you wait!" or "I am going to be so worried for you when you go into labor!" or "It hurts so much" or "Labor is called labor for a reason, you are going to want that epidural" etc.... etc...

Like no crap... I know it is going to hurt. Telling me that over and over really helps me sleep at night.

sheesh!
"You'll change your mind! Get the drugs." People suck. I get a kick out of telling those same people now, "it wasn't bad at all. I don't know what women make all that fuss about." And I totally mean it. I guess I have a very high pain tolerance or something.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:42 AM   #35
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: danner
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandni3
This is kinda the opposite, but I find it funny when parents are expecting their first baby say, "We're not going to let it change our lives, we're still going to do all the things we used to". Ha ha. Sure you will.
Yes, one of my husband's cousins pretty much claimed that one. Everyone who had kids either felt sorry for him, rolled their eyes or both.

Then again, I've heard tell of men who really do try to do all of the things they used to when they become fathers. Some of their exasperated overworked wives have posted asking advice about it right here on DS.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:12 PM   #36
Miss squish
Registered Users
seller

"Babies cry a lot, that's just what they do"

Heard this eleventy hundred times when ds was absolutely impossible to deal with before getting him on reflux meds. He cried all the time and everyone, including his doctor, acted like I was an over reacting first time mom who just had unrealistic expectations about babies. Yes babies cry, but they don't cry like *that* all day. Poor ds. he's the busiest most smiley baby now on meds.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:57 PM   #37
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
My favorite: in grocery store w 3 week old. I was very proud of myself to get out even though I was sweaty, hot, covered in spit up and breast milk, still bleeding and wearing dirty sweats. DD was a pretty typical 3 weeker and I was having typical new mommy issues - bf'ing issues, cracked nipples, no sleep, ppd etc. So in a nut shell I was pretty shocked at how bad being a brand new mama could be.

Some lady walked up to me and exclaimed her delight at seeing a little sweet baby. She says, "cherish this time! It's the best part of being a mom" With this huge smile.

I'm remember thinking "f***! If this is the best, what else is in store for me?!?!"

So when I tell new mamas that it will get better, it's because i want to give them hope. I needed all the lies/encouragement I could hear to get me through those first hard months. And at first it didn't get better, it just got different but eventually it did

Also when my sister (who had babies 10 yrs ago) asked me when I was having another, I reminded her of her answer when I had asked her the very same thing. At the time she yelled "never again!" and went on to have another 2 yrs later. So I guess people forget what it felt like to be a new parent.

Last edited by AniMommy; 11-14-2012 at 09:00 PM.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:59 PM   #38
loveramongstars
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimon
It's related to pregnancy but it really annoys me when a pregnant woman complain about something regarding her pregnancy (anything) and someone gets on her case about being greatful fo rthe miracle because so many women cannot get pregnant and would love to be in her shoes.

I get that. It's a horrible thing that wonderful people can have difficulty with TTC but that doesn't mean you have to enjoy every single moment of pregnancy. Pregnancy can be really really tough, and even if you are thankful to be pregnant and not want to change it for the world, there are bad moments. And it's perfectly ok not to be happy 100% of the time.
I tell people that I only want one because this pregnancy has been so hard on me (emotional and mentally) . I am single and this one person said "but when you meet the right person." Doesn't matter who it is. I do not want to do this again.
Btw, i do love my son. Just not what he's done to my body. And he's not done cooking!

Sent from my Inspire. Hope everything makes sense!

Lover Among Stars, a blog about my journey as a single mom with my little one.
loveramongstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:21 AM   #39
O'sMommy:)
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaGM View Post
Oh mama you sound just like me. The worst part is if I had listened to all those "experienced" moms DS would never have been diagnosed with silent reflux AND dairy sensitivities. He's a lot better now but still very high maintenance. Dh and I still don't know if we can ever do this again.

I do totally know how you feel though. When we've told in-laws he may be an only they get all offended. The same people that refuse to babysit for even an hour so we can have a break because they can't handle him. Yep.

Google the fussy baby site, it made such a huge difference in making me feel not so alone or like a terrible parent.
Aw. Thanks momma! Glad to know I'm not in this alone. Mine has reflux and is on Zantac for it but it seems to be getting worse over the past few days.

People will tell me, "you just need to let him cry it out." Or blahblahblah. I can only listen to a crying baby for so long. I feel horrible enough if I'm holding him and he's crying much less just letting him sit there and cry. I can't do it.

I think I'm going to take him to the dr again today or so bc this is crazy.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:31 AM   #40
O'sMommy:)
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by L J View Post
Oh mama! You sound like me 5 years ago. My oldest was a horrible baby; never happy, no matter what! He's almost 6 now. At least now I can send him to his room.

I swore off more for a long time, too. (Not suggesting that you will change your mind.) When I did decide I was brave enough to try for another, my family loved to remind me of what a hard baby #1 was.

Even when I was already pregnant, and very pregnant, they would ask me if I knew what I was getting into. Really? Like there is anything I could do about it then.
Haha. I'm sure if we do ever decide we want another that we'll be reminded ever time possible of how horrible my son is. Your son sounds EXACTLY like mine. Don't get me wrong, there are moments when you'd swear he's the happiest baby in the world: all smiles, giggling and all but most of the time, he's so unhappy. His dr told us that he's most likely just high maintenance and knows exactly what he wants and he isn't going to be happy until we figure it out. To some degree, I agree. Example: last night we were at my in laws and he was in his rocker (he's 5 months) (he had been satisfied in it for 15 minutes or so) and he started getting a little fussy so I went ahead and picked him up. He was happy until I sat back on the couch at which time he IMMEDIATELY started SCREAMING(and yes, I do mean very litterally screaming). I got up and tried walking around the house and bouncing him to no avail. I walked out on the porch and immediately, he stops crying and is looking around smiling. He can be so difficult.