Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-15-2012, 12:02 AM   #11
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Cloth on a newborn

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...hlight=newborn

Is this what you're looking for?

Advertisement

mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:11 AM   #12
starbeam
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

if the covers you made are pull-ons, you'll need to fasten your prefolds with a snappi or pins, and you should be able to reuse them until they get poo on them, which unfortunately does happen pretty frequently with NBs because the poo so often and it's so runny.

as someone mentioned, if you're having a hospital birth, they'll send you home with some disposables. you can even express your financial concerns to the nurses and you might be able to get three or four packs of disposable dipes. we did. then you can use them when you go out of the house or when you know your baby is going to have a BM if he/she poops on a schedule.

i think the washcloth idea is so amazing. if i ever have another, i'm going to do that!
starbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:13 AM   #13
starbeam
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

also, prowraps (maybe spelled proraps? can't remember) maker super cheap and adorable covers in all sizes, including NB. you can get seconds quality ones REALLY cheap and they are seriously the most effective covers in the world. i really like regular old PUL covers on NBs so you can wipe off the inside and reuse them if they get just a little poop on them.
starbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:18 AM   #14
Katiebug_1976
Registered Users
seller

Infant prefolds will work if that is what you have. They may be a little bulky at first, but that doesn't seem to bother some (dh didn't like the bulk on ds when he was a newbie, so we used the sposies that we got from the hospital & friends for the first couple weeks to give him time to "grow into" the cloth). If you think they will be too bulky, you could always buy some flour sack towels (from Walmart or Target etc) and use them as flats. They are cheap and fold down really great. I haven't used mine yet, but have them folded two different ways (pad folded & kite folded for snappi's) and waiting in the drawer for ds to arrive. I have tried them on dd's doll with the covers I have and they are a lot less bulky than the prefolds. Good luck...I hope you find what works for you.
Katiebug_1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:20 AM   #15
lucysgreenmomma
Registered Users
seller

Thanks so much mommas!! You've given me a ton of options I'm going to try. I have infant sized prefolds, flour sacks, and wash cloths. The covers I made are hook and loop. I have four but I might make a few more just to have, they are so tiny I think they could be cute doll diapers

I'm not super concerned about bulk, I'm just worried about the umbilical cord since I didn't have to mess with that with my first. But I guess it will just be trial and error.