Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-14-2012, 03:44 PM   #1
Oufelicia
Registered Users

Is it a yeast rash? Help!

I need some experienced advice. My son is almost 7 weeks old. He went into the hospital at 9 days old with a UTI and was on antibiotics for his 10 days there. While we were there he got a rash that wouldn't clear. They assumed a yeast rash and we used some nystatin. It cleared within a day or two so we stopped using (they never told me to continue using). When we got home we started back up with the CDs. Since then the rash has come back, we bleached the CDs, used sposies for almost 2 weeks with the nystatin and over a week after the rash was gone. This week we started CDing again and using coconut oil and it seems like it might be back. On a side note, he is EBF and started having some crazy green poop this weekend. Any ideas? What would be safe to do and still use the cloth?

Advertisement

Oufelicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:54 PM   #2
jalbrecht89
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is it a yeast rash? Help!

If it's raised and red it could be yeast. Maybe it's the bleach making him break out. What kind of detergent do you use? Also, you may need to strip your diapers so you can start fresh. Annnd...lol...it could be the material your diapers are made of. Are they natural or synthetic? Some babies are sensitive to the different types of inner parts of the diaper, like suede cloth.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:06 PM   #3
Oufelicia
Registered Users

I'm using GMD Prefolds and sbish multifitteds. We use Charlie's soap. The rash is a little bumpy and raised, just doesn't seem to be as bad.
I'm just overwhelmed because it COULD be so many things lol
Old 11-14-2012, 07:49 PM   #4
Besty
Registered Users
seller

Don't forget that you also have to bleach/treat diaper pail liners, wet bags, cloth wipes, etc...

Good luck!
Besty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:22 PM   #5
alaskamum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I found on my newbie (8 weeks old) that cornstarch powder w/zinc oxide (just the Johnson's brand, there are other brands as well) at every change cleared up her diaper rash. I treated for yeast, tried different diapers, tried at least 5 different creams, nothing helped until I started using the powder.
Good luck, I hope you can clear it up soon.
and M
alaskamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:25 PM   #6
Oufelicia
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskamum
I found on my newbie (8 weeks old) that cornstarch powder w/zinc oxide (just the Johnson's brand, there are other brands as well) at every change cleared up her diaper rash. I treated for yeast, tried different diapers, tried at least 5 different creams, nothing helped until I started using the powder.
Good luck, I hope you can clear it up soon.
Is that still safe with cloth diapers?
Old 11-15-2012, 01:03 AM   #7
OrchidMama
Registered Users
seller

Well, I believe cornstarch shouldn't be used with a yeast infection, it feeds it. My DD had a terrible rash that started out raised and bumpy and turned into open sores. Her pediatrician suggested a .5% Hydrocortisone cream twice a day until it got better. He said it was a contact dermatitis rash, which is basically an irritation. it only took a couple of days to clear up. She also had green, funny smelling, mucous poop. I did a ton of research and figured out it was a fore milk/hindmilk imbalance making her poop like that and acidic, and burning her bum. I also switched detergents, cause I was using Purex F & C, which works for many, but the brighteners caused her little bum irritation. It really could be any number of things. Good luck! Here's something explaining the imbalance and how it can cause diaper rash due to acidic stools.

http://www.breastfeeding-problems.co...imbalance.html
OrchidMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:06 AM   #8
alaskamum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

PP is correct, cornstarch should not be used on yeast. If the baby is having wacky poops, it might not be yeast, it could just be irritated skin (which can lead to yeast, but doesn't always mean yeast).

Powder is fine on diapers, it washes right off. It keeps the bottom drier, which would help after a yeast infection is cleared. It's not an "only" solution, but part of a multi-part solution to keep yeast away.

I know coconut oil is supposed to be magical, and lots of people love it, but it has never done a thing for any of my kids--I've tried it on rashes and eczema. I think that using something that adds moisture is also not good for yeast.

Good luck!
and M
alaskamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:59 AM   #9
kbevie
Registered Users
seller

You could try stripping with tea tree oil (very very little), lemon juice, and grapefruit seed extract (GFSE). They sell a first aid spray at places like Whole Foods that has all these things in it. GFSE naturally gets rid of yeast without needing to use bleach. If it's larger spots that slough off, it could be a strep rash. You might also ask the doc about staph as people can pick that up from hospitals.

I'm owner and operator of 3 Sweet Peas, cloth diaper WAHM shop on Etsy. Hand dyed bamboo fitted diapers and wool interlock covers, and more.
3SP Etsy
3SP Facebook
kbevie is offline   Reply With Quote