Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-15-2012, 04:50 PM   #11
MrsStripe
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Daycare positives

We were at a daycare that we left because there were a lot of things that didn't make us happy there. DS has been there for almost a month now and we are loving the new place. He comes home happy and worn out every day. Meaning they play with him and keep him very occupied and entertained. And, his talking has picked up tremendously since starting there. Now, if only they would get him potty trained. Kidding, a little.

Advertisement

MrsStripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:49 PM   #12
c&w's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

school can be fun. My DD loves her lessons (they have tons of free time but learning some structure) and can play every day with her friends. DS is just old enough to really see what he thinks and he loves playing there-- still lights up when he sees his baby teachers. the only part that makes me a tiny bit sad is that I don' t think I could do as good a job 5x a week, 50 ish weeks a year-- between lesson plans and playdates and the lunches (great social time where the kids work on conversational skills, table manners, serving each other, etc). I make sure I'm at the top of my game every night and all weekend- no slacking She, and he, can practice everything in two settings. DD is the one who decided she needed chores at home. I miss them like crazy when I'm at work but know they're having fun and working on becoming big kids so they can be well adjusted adults. Does it make our art projects, games, playground, farmers market, ice skating, you name it time better at home? I have no idea- and although most of the time I do think I'd rather stay home- I think this is working for us.
c&w's mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:32 AM   #13
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DD is at a daycare center.
The flexibility is fabulous (for an arm and a leg, it better be) which is good b/c DH's schedule is kinda weird.
The teachers are awesome. DD has nothing but smiles for them and they clearly relate to her on a personal level (they notice very individual things that make it clear they are paying close, loving attention).
They got her sleeping in a crib waaaay before we did, and now she naps on a mat. On the floor. Without getting up. I have no idea HOW they are doing this?! They are magical.
She is very "socialized" although I hate that term - she loves her little friends, she knows all the babys' names even though they are in a different room, and she goes around hugging everyone before she leaves. Seeing her interact with her friends is so. freaking. adorable.
She has an immune system like a tank. In two years of daycare she had one ear infection and one case of croup. She is tough!
I think that she is (a tiny bit) less attached-at-the-hip bc of daycare. She is used to spending a portion of her day without me or DH... so leaving her occasionally in the care of nana, auntie, cousin, etc - no biggie. She might protest a bit, but she knows we're coming back.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:50 AM   #14
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I liked that it because it gave her spomething to look forward to although it was a home daycare. Her age kid involvement & getting her to play with others besides me & independence. I totally understand the daycare thing & don't bash but at the same time it seems here that those that do stay at home here get bashed by working & the 2 don't help each other. Sahm sometimes are looking to help working parents as a way to help pay bills but working have this huge launbdry listg of stuff like being bonded & stuff.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:39 PM   #15
amb2j
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thats great! My DS loves his daycare. When he started there, his vocab exploded, they taught him baby sign language (which he LOVED), they taught him how to drink out of a cup, feed himself etc. They even helped with potty training. I can tell he is absolutely loved there and very well taken care of. They play outside multiple times a day and do arts/crafts and educational lessons daily too. He loves it so much, there are even days that he cries when we pick him up b/c he wants to stay and play with his teachers and friends :-). Its great reassurance to know you have such a good, nurturing place for your child when you cant be there.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #16
mommmy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I am a SAHM and I plan on sending each of my kids to day care for at least half days once they are 2.5. My daughter was there last year (now started primary school) and my oldest son is there now for half the week. Its great for their social development and to let them experience something new than being stuck with mommy 24/7. He loves daycare so much i would never judge you for sending your kids there!
Emily , SAHM to Ava (08/08), Connor (01/10), Adrian (01/11), Logan (12/11) , Hannah and Olivia (12/12) , and expecting #100
mommmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:33 PM   #17
Shimpie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DD loves her school. She knows the teacher's names all her friends names too. At 20 months, DD started going to a Montessori school/daycare (school in the morning and daycare after her afternoon nap). It is wonderful and worth every penny that I spend on tuition. Soon after enrolling, the school saw signs of DD being ready to potty train, and encouraged that we start training. With their help, DD was out of diapers by 24 months.

DD's vocabulary is through the roof and she's always finding more ways to express herself. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this school with benefit DD leading up to kindergarten.

Last edited by Shimpie; 12-03-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Shimpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:44 PM   #18
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I love that my daycare (grandma) does things with my kids that I would never think to do. We kinda get in a rut of games to play/things around the house. She does crafts with them that I am too lazy to make that big of a mess. She picks different books to read off the shelf than I do. She takes them places. They get loved on by someone else. A couple of times a year, she takes my older DD camping in her RV.

Starting at 18 months, I do MDO in addition. I think being with friends in a school setting is good for kids. They love it!

My kids are better because of their daycare provider.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:50 PM   #19
cdeweese
Registered Users
Formerly: New cloth lover
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've seen some crazy shy or obnoxious children totally change into amazing kids after going to daycare. Also, children who were labeled as "behind" developmentally improve drastically when placed in the right daycare. There are positives AND negatives to being with one's parents all of the time.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:24 PM   #20
kaimon
Registered Users
seller

My kids love their daycare. Often times when I go to pick them up they want to stay a little longer. (Though it's nice on the weekend when they're happy to stay home too).

I under estimate my kids abilities on a regular basis. They learn stuff at daycare that I never would have considered teaching at home. Then they blow my mind and I think they're geniuses

The socialization is fantastic. And yes I know socialization can come in other forms but it's wonderful. They have fantastic friends and both Dh and I have made friends among the parents.