Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-15-2012, 03:34 PM   #11
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

We don't have restrictions. They just dress appropriately. They all have waterproof insulated snow boots, waterproof insulated gloves, waterproof insulated snowbibs, waterproof insulated snow parkas. Plus they have nice hats, thermal underwear, wool socks, and scarves. We have a mud room off the back of the house so the cold air doesn't come in too much.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Advertisement

7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:43 PM   #12
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:
Re: Weather and sending the kids outside to play

In the summer we don't go out if there is a high level of humidity (asthma). In the winter we don't go out much below zero. We will go out and play in a warm rain, but not cold. Mud, who cares?
Old 11-15-2012, 05:23 PM   #13
Christylkeller
Registered Users

My Mood:

My kiddies go out in all sorts of weather. The only things I keep them in for is lightening and hail, otherwise it is all good. Even the really, really cold days, it is good for them to go out for even 5 mins. It is such an attitude adjuster! Outdoor=happy children!!

Homeschooling mom to A- '01, M- '05, E- '08 and G born 3/5/13 VBA3C

Always missing my 17 weeker E 7/25/11
Christylkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:54 PM   #14
cdeweese
Registered Users
Formerly: New cloth lover
seller
seller

My Mood:

In Texas is gets up to 115 in the summer and my babies don't go out in that heat. 5 minutes outside and they look like lobsters (not from being burnt, just hot). That's too much. Not to mention, my daughter's eczema flares and the rash inside her elbows and behind her knees bleeds. Anything above 95 we pretty much stay indoors and play outdoors early while its a little cooler. They're still little and don't drink as much as they should and everything (sidewalk included) is so hot it burns them. It only gets down to around 30 in the winter, so that's completely fair game. And I totally allow playing in the rain as long as its not too cold
Old 11-15-2012, 06:27 PM   #15
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

thunderstorms, hurricanes, hail- no. i personally don't go out when the mosquitoes are being particularly nasty. if it's super windy or rainy and bitter, i don't go out, so the little ones are out of luck then. we have 4 seasons here from 100 degrees down to below zero at times.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:52 PM   #16
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We play outside every day. DS has sensory and agression issues. If it is really cold, he puts on boots, hat, gloves, snowpants, etc. and goes out. In the summer, I fill up the kiddie pool.

My kids school goes outside until it is 20 degrees. We are told to send snow pants and boots.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:13 PM   #17
Celeste
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
The only time we don't play outside is during an electrical storm or hurricane. If it's hot, we are in the pool. Our yard is fairly breezy and shady in the evenings, so it's rare for us to be inside. It never really gets too cold here. We play in the rain - in swimsuits if it's warm. I kinda avoid mud. It's too much of a hassle. But then again, it's warm enough here that our rain evaporates quickly, so it's not really an issue.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:29 PM   #18
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
I don't think there's a 'too hot' to be outdoors. Appropriate dress, sunscreen and lots of water. In fact, I'd opt for water play and stuff in the shade. There have been times when it's been flat out too hot to play on the playground because all the equipment was hot.. but we just got out the sidewalk chalk and did that instead. (unless of course, you live in an area that is seriously too hot, like Death Valley, and then okay).

as far as cold.. I don't really think there's a 'too cold' that I've encountered. We just bundle up. But, like today and yesterday, we didn't go outside because I didn't feel like bundling up, but that's more mom's laziness it's not quite as damp today, so maybe I'll bundle her up after naptime.

wet and such.. depends on if I have good shoes and if it's cold or hot. I am better with wet and hot than I am with cold and wet. I don't want her getting sick.. but if it's cold enough to bundle her, then it'll be okay. snow is just as wet as rain in a way.

Muddy? I'm pretty okay with mud. I've let her cover herself in mud just after a graduation ceremony when she was wearing a nice dress. It probably depends on HOW nice of a dress... but I'm fairly flexible as long as I have a change of clothes within a short distance.
This pretty much sums us up. We do stay inside if it is bitter cold combined with wind except for morning chores. We also try to time it so we're outside during the best weather for the season....In summer we spend a lot of the morning and evenings outside, but not midday unless we're in the pool. In winter we usually don't go out to play until it's warmed up a bit.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:14 PM   #19
rverrone11
Registered Users
seller
seller

They can go out in any weather except thunderstorms. It usually doesn't get below 20 or above 105. I think playing in rain and snow is fun, and my girls do too!
Old 11-15-2012, 11:24 PM   #20
swismiself
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here in WI they keep the kids in when it's less than 15 degrees outside for the littlier kids. I think they go colder with the older kids, but as my son is just 4 I don't have any experience with that yet.

At my home, we go out in pretty much all weather, if only to turn right back inside when it's too miserable out :-). I always try to give it a shot. I mean, sometimes 20 degrees is really wet, windy, and cold. Other times, -10 really doesn't feel so bad, especially when it's dry with no wind.

Wet and windy always get me, personally.
swismiself is offline   Reply With Quote