Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-15-2012, 06:38 PM   #11
mommy24babes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Just another horrible but worth it.

Advertisement

mommy24babes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:43 PM   #12
Sarai*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone had their tonsils removed?

Had it done at 40 -- with the pain meds, it was not as bad as the years of strep throat, and everyone was a LOT more sympathetic about letting me rest, and I don't think I've had to take pain killers or antibiotics for a throat infection since.

It is really nice not to be sick all the time, and for me totally worth it.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:46 PM   #13
madebymommy
Banned - User Requested
seller

My Mood:

I've had 3 c sections... two emergency, one planned, all had complications. I would rather go through another 100 c sections before I EVER have my tonsils out, again. It was HORRIBLE!!!! I spent the whole next day throwing up and crying because of the pain and ended up in the hospital on zofran and pain killers. Oh, and one of my tonsils is now growing back, and it can freaking stay in there!!!
madebymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:51 PM   #14
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ok, well that isn't very encouraging...

I saw an ENT today because one of my tonsils is significantly larger than the other (he thought the larger of the two was almost golfball sized), BUT - other than the feeling of having something stuck in my throat/clearing my throat all the time I don't have any major symptoms...no snoring, no strep. The problem is that it is apparently unusual to have such drastically asymmetrical tonsils, so if they took them out they would biopsy them too. Considering I am so healthy otherwise, its pretty unlikely that its anything "scary", but he said if I don't chose surgery he will want to see me every three months to keep an eye on them.

I can easily see why some of you opted for tonsillectomy, I just can't decide if in my case the benefits would outweigh the torturous recovery? And man, it sounds absolutely miserable...
Old 11-15-2012, 06:58 PM   #15
3girlsallnaughty
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Having them out isn't a sure promise of not getting streptococcus again.. yup had em out at 10 and I still get strept a few times a year and I'll be 28 in a few days. I don't remember much except that it hurt like hell.

It's a Boy!! Due April 30th!!
3girlsallnaughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:09 PM   #16
Bella Catalina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was 20, and yes, it was painful for the first 5-7 days, but I lived on ice cream and sorbet while I recovered, lost 15 lbs, and hey, they give you percocet--it's not like you're stuck taking tylenol. It completely changed my life--since I'd moved after high school, I'd had recurring tonsillitis every 2-3 months. That was 12 years ago, and I haven't taken abx since. I'm honestly more scared of the pain of having my wisdom teeth removed.

If I did it now, I'd want to make sure someone was there for my kids 24/7 the first week so I could sleep/rest and recover. I'm not a very gracious mama if I'm in pain.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:25 PM   #17
somo_chickenlady
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981 View Post
Looks like those of use with embedded or pitted were the ones who needed the surgery!?? I wonder if that the majority of adults needing it? Idk. But let's say, I lost 15 pounds, couldn't OPEN my mouth for a week and in order to eat had to suck on cheese. LOL! And my breath wasps horrible no one would stay in my room with me. Hahaha!! I couldn't do 'soft' food. Even that required swallowing. And after surgery even water felt like glass going down. But it's like my water birth. It was so painful- indescribable.. But worth it. And at least you get meds for tonsils, lol
Yep, that described me to a T. I basically just doped myself up on painkiller and slept for a week, b/c I couldn't do anything else. I could only suck on ice, but not swallow...it just dribbled down my throat. I ended up back in the hospital due to dehydration b/c I was vomiting, and like you I lost around 15lbs. Sometimes I want to punch my mother b/c she refused to get it done when I was younger (my tonsils had been that way as long as I can remember), and I think that made the recovery so much worse. My son had his tonsils removed at 3, and he bounced back like nothing happened.

After 12 years of TTC #2, multiple miscarriages, failed infertility treatments, and two failed (not on our end) attempts at becoming foster/adopt parents in two states...we gave up. I stick around for the awesome conversation.
somo_chickenlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:22 PM   #18
mommypockets
Registered Users
seller

I had it done nearly a year ago at almost 32. I had pitted tonsils. I woke up ON the operating table DURING the last part of the surgery. Lol. Recovery was horrible with a newborn and 4-yr-old to care for. I still managed to read stories and cook dinner after surgery, but I dropped a cool 20-lb in a couple weeks. Devil's cough syrup was fun. Had pain on one side for about 6-mos post-op, but now it's great and would do it all again in a heartbeat!
mommypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:23 PM   #19
mommypockets
Registered Users
seller

Oh. And chloroseptic spray was my best friend during recovery!
mommypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:36 PM   #20
Hi-Dog
Registered Users
seller
seller

I tried to get my tonsils out a few years ago, but thanks to the ENT not ordering my pre-surgery physical and my primary doc refusing to do it on short notice, I never got my surgery (already had PTO planned and everything)

Here I am years later, still with severely pitted tonsils, regular tonsil stones and woke up with a wicked sore throat this morning.

Hopefully DH will get a good job soon with amazing insurance so I can try again to get my tonsils out. From what I have gathered in this thread (from most), it sucks, you lose weight 'cause you can't eat, but it's worth it.