Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-13-2007, 09:26 AM   #1
rebeccah5
Behold: The Official Thread-Killer
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy I hated leaving DD at school this morning...

I thought we had it made when we started our 4 y.o. in Preschool this year. She was so excited to be going and didn't even look back to tell me goodbye when I walked her in those first few days. She's been so bored at home and loves playing with other kids, and she's always really liked Sunday School and dance classes, so she was really excited about starting school.

At the school she's going to (we have a big preschool program at the local public school) they go part time for the first 5 days, then it's full time, 5 days a week. the first few days she went full time, she was still loving it, but towards the end of last week, she started telling me she didn't want to go to school anymore. I think a big part of the problem is that she pretty much hasn't napped since she was 3 or so, and they have naptime at school. Every time she mentions that she doesn't want to go to school (we heard it all weekend), she brings up naptime. I've told her she doesn't have to sleep, that she can just rest and try thinking of a funny book she's read or show she's watched or something, but she still keeps telling me she hates it. This morning was the first time she's really been on the verge of tears when I walked her in. I hated leaving her when I did, although we'd gotten over the real teary stuff and she was just sort of standing there in a daze. I hate this! I feel so bad for her, plus it makes me feel really guilty because if I hadn't signed her up for preschool in the first place, she could be at home with me.

*sigh* Please tell me it gets better...

Advertisement

Check out my knitting projects here and my stash here
rebeccah5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:33 AM   #2
granolapunk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I hated leaving DD at school this morning...

oh poor thing! i wonder what it is about nap time that is so bad? sorry you guys struggling, hope things improve
Old 08-13-2007, 09:35 AM   #3
rebeccah5
seller

My Mood:

DD can be pretty timid sometimes, and I know she told me that her teacher told them they can't sit up once they're on their cots. I don't know if she's, like, scared to move during naptime, or what!
Old 08-13-2007, 10:45 AM   #4
Bella Catalina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh mama, that must be so hard Is there another option that is part time? I think most kids have days they love and days they hate it. Give it some time, see if she starts to look forward to it again. Can you look into letting her have other options for nap time - even to lie quietly looking at books or something?
Old 08-13-2007, 10:47 AM   #5
granolapunk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

hmmmm. maybe you can talk to her teacher about it figure out what the source of the problem is. maybe you can think of a game or something to do while shes laying down, like spot things that begin with a certain letter or something? just quietly to herself. i dunno, good luck!
Old 08-13-2007, 12:26 PM   #6
Kanga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I don't know if she's, like, scared to move during naptime, or what!
That could be. I remember being scared to move too much in daycare at about that age. We had to lay down on the cots w/ our eyes closed the entire time. I don't remember what the teacher said to us to make me so scared, but it was only that one teacher who was the naptime nazi, the others I don't remember feeling loike that (although it's totally possible i did) I was also emotionally abused and probably physically as well at a different daycare before that one so that could have played into my feelings about it too (not saying this is the case AT ALL for your dd, just telling you where my feelings stemmed from)
Can you observe during naptime w/out her knowing your there to see what's going on?

[COLOR="Red"]ISO: Girly Alva or Sunbaby OS for a mama on a budget.
Kanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:19 AM   #7
rebeccah5
seller

My Mood:

Well, I think we've found another problem. Apparently someone was making fun of her for wearing white socks ( don't most kids?) and someone was making fun of her new funky tennis shoes that she was super excited about at the store. it totally stinks IMO that kids are already that mean in pre-K.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:22 AM   #8
rebeccah5
seller

My Mood:

Also wanted to add that I volunteered yesterday to be the class mother, which means I am have a good excuse to visit her class at least once a month, although the classroom is supposed to be open to any parent at any time. I am just trying to give her some time to adjust on her own before I start poking my nose in, KWIM?
Old 08-14-2007, 10:24 AM   #9
Rachaelbee
Registered Users

My Mood:

hmm I'd talk to the teacher at least, then if you can you might want to sit in for part of the day, or make a suprise visit to the classroom to see what is going on for real kwim? Hopefully the teacher knows that something is going on...
Old 08-14-2007, 10:27 AM   #10
yellowcampcat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd talk to the teacher about naptime and see what the format is. Maybe your dd could take some books to look at during that time?
yellowcampcat is offline   Reply With Quote