Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-17-2012, 12:27 PM   #11
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
We have the same "birthday in Jan, too small house" situation. We gad dd's first birthday "celebration" at the local aquarium (she loves fish).
We said, this is what we are doing, this date, would love for you to join us. Some came, sone didnt - totally cool. Everyone paid for their own tix although i get a disc through work so most were discounted. We also had the issue of not really being able to afford much.
We then took everyone out to lunch. We actually found a place nearby that was not too spendy, casual enough for a bunch of crazy kids, and accommodating of multiple food allergies.
The cost of the tix combined with our insistence that gifts were not necessary did persuade some (mostly families with younger kids, money's tighter, etc) to follow the no gifts rule. They got a thank you card for "celebrating my birthday with me, so glad you could join us."
Other ppl said phbbbbbbbt to the no gifts but were sensitive to the fact that not everyone brought one. We were quietly handed gifts, quietly thanked them, and opened them at home. They got thank yous as well.
It was low stress, low key, and more about having fun together, less about the gift avalanche.

Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 01:48 PM   #12
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: s/o: You got me excited to skip the birthday party

We don't do a big party for first birthdays, but we do do a party. It's just grandparents, and aunts/uncles. Presents are in bags and my boys at 1 loved taking the paper off the top and looking inside. Neither one of them were intersted in the cake, but wasn't a big deal. Take a few pics and then everyone else starts eating cake. I do think, for my family atleast, it's nice to celebrate the birth day no matter what age the child is. We do do bigger parties as they age because they have friends and family is still invited.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:00 PM   #13
cdeweese
Registered Users
Formerly: New cloth lover
seller
seller

My Mood:

We never deny extended family the chance to celebrate a milestone with our children (we are military and NEVER see them, so we probably are a little biased). I say, have the party at the relative's house and say on the invite "all gifts will be donated to such and such charity". If someone really wants to provide something special ie a savings bond or the like, just accept it. I realize this means relinquishing a little control on your part but ask yourself if its really worth it. This is about your child, not you (I really hope I'm not sounding harsh ). Although I don't remember my first birthday party, I LOVE looking at the pictures of my family celebrating my first year of life.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:06 PM   #14
kaia.aline
Registered Users
seller
seller

I started planning DDs 1st bday party the day she was born she's only 4 months old and I've already done a lot so I can see why someone would want skip all of that for a first birthday!

Maybe you could do some kind of small get together/restaurant type thing? It's only $20/hr to rent a panera party room and you could bring your own cake! Maybe buy a party tray of their sandwiches and if people want something else they can buy their own. Make the party more about celebrating your child and surviving the first year, if people bring presents open them at home, donate some to a local charity if you get to many

Ask me how to earn FREE jewelry and other amazing deals from Lia Sophia!
kaia.aline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:12 PM   #15
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:
Yeah... so we are not really "kid party" people. a party at a kid's pizza place or something is just not our thing. No offense. and we don't live in the type of apartment building that has a club house. It's more urban (read: ghetto). : giggle:

I think we decided what we want though: a loft + beer + music + balloons . For cheap. It's a tall order.

Last edited by Palooka; 11-17-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:21 PM   #16
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

We kinda skipped DDs birthday this year (she's 18m). I had similar reasons. It doesn't need to be big, we don't need anything, it's really for the adults anyways. I've been a nanny for a long time and I've seen lots of overwhelming over the top parties and it just never appealed to me. When she's older and appreciates it, I don't mind her having a few friends over and a few games and a cake/presents etc.

We decided to do a family day / beach trip for her first birthday. Just a fun day all around with us and SIL and her son. We did do a little cake with the great grandparents and a few aunts/uncles but it wasn't really a party.
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:06 PM   #17
cbreeding
Registered Users

We do a big party for 1yr, 5yr, etc. Mostly because it is a Big birthday to us and a great chance to see family - we don't see them often.

Otherwise we do just a small thing with us. Occasionally we've had family members ask if they could come up around XX birthday which we are always open to but don't specifically plan a party.
cbreeding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:31 PM   #18
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

No parties here. We didn't take any opinions.

Now we do celebrate, but it is just the four of us having cake, presents, pics, etc.

We do send an 'announcement' after each birthday with pics to the family.
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:41 PM   #19
Marbie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
We haven't ever done a first birthday party. I'm pretty sure that my extended family doesn't do them. To me, birthday parties for 1 year olds are a little odd. I felt like it would just look like I was asking for gifts, since obviously the baby wouldn't be wanting the party. I know that's not the case with most people, but that's just what it felt like for me.
Marbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:41 PM   #20
Marbie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooke789
No parties here. We didn't take any opinions.

Now we do celebrate, but it is just the four of us having cake, presents, pics, etc.

We do send an 'announcement' after each birthday with pics to the family.
Wanted to add that this is us, exactly.
Marbie is offline   Reply With Quote