Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-15-2012, 11:34 PM   #1
dnh
Registered Users

to formula from ebf for a day

i will be away from my baby for about 22 hours. i do not have enough stored breast milk to last him the entire day and will need to supplement formula. He has always been ebf but does take a bottle fine.. of bm anyway.

I am so lost about where to even start. how much does a typical 5 month old take in one sitting? how do i start introducing it to make sure it agrees with him and that he will actually drink it? i only have 3 days.. kinda freaking out!

anyone done this before? things to consider? recommendations? i would appreciate any and all advice, thanks!

Advertisement

dnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:44 AM   #2
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: to formula from ebf for a day

When I had to switch to formula--low suppy while working. I just started mixing 1/2 formula and 1/2 BM in the bottle.

For the one day you are gone that is what I would do. Has he taken a bottle yet? If not I would definatly have someone give him a bottle at least once.

At 5 months my boys took between 4 and 4.5 ouces per bottle.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:07 AM   #3
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

You might also buy those foil one serving pouches. That way, you'll have more on hand in case you need it at another time.

I think 5 0z at a time should be enough, and plan on every 3 hours.. he probably won't need it every 3 hours, but you just never know.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:40 PM   #4
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree. Mix for the transition. And the single serve packets are great. Once you open a can you have to use it pretty quickly, so it might go bad. But singles will keep because they stay sealed. Good luck.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:14 PM   #5
dnh
Registered Users

thank you all for your input!

i just gave him 2 ounces of formula after he nursed on just one side and he drank it right up at lighening speed! even cried after he finished.. but i am thinking it was a wanting to suck issue. if he shows hunger signs soon i will nurse him some more but it seems it will work out just fine after all

single serve packets are not avail where i live.. i just got the smallest pot i could find.

now just looking out for any bad reactions.. thanks again everyone!
dnh is offline   Reply With Quote