Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 11-12-2012, 07:43 PM   #11
Registered Users
Re: Nursing when baby has a cold

I also use the nose frieda, with saline drops if she's especially congested.

ETA to answer your question... I just let her nurse as much as she wanted, and offered a lot more than usual even if she didn't seem to want to nurse. She'd get a little bit here and there, and it added up in the end. We'd also hang out in the bathroom with a hot shower running, and nurse in there. And pumped several times during the day because I was paranoid of my supply being affected. I tried to keep to only one sippy a day, because, again, I was always paranoid about my supply.

Hope she's feeling better soon. There is nothing sadder than a sick baby

Last edited by Teexie; 11-12-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:56 AM   #12
Registered Users

Originally Posted by Liadan23 View Post
this. the nose frida is AWESOME. the bulb syringes we've had have always been useless. i've never been able to really suck anything out with them. i usually do the nose frida just a couple times a day, the first few nursing sessions, and she breathes better the whole rest of the day! sometimes if she's having trouble later on, i'll do it again, but i usually don't need to.

with ds, we didn't have one. i tried the bulb syringe, but literally nothing came out, ever. we just sort of had to muddle through. do the usual things, humidifier, steamy shower, etc. it helps to get things flowing and they'll breath easier. best is a steamy shower, followed by the nose frida. oh my word. so much snot in one tiny baby. but she was so happy afterwards and you could barely tell she had a cold the rest of that day it cleared her out so well
ITA! The nosefrieda, and saline, will clear it right out!
I'm blessed to be a preacher's wife and the mama of a happy boy (8/2011)
sweetpeapumpkinbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:59 PM   #13
Registered Users

Agree with mom's above, suck her nose out with bulb syringe before each feed. At 9 months old she might really fight you but if you swaddle her arms super tight with a receiving blanket before it will help you be able to really get lots of junk out, and put a few drops of saline drops in her nose first to break up the boogers.
ClothAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:36 PM   #14
Registered Users
Thanks so much for all the advice. We got through it. She's probably 70% better but is able to nurse like normal. She's breathing through her nose so much better. I'm relieved.
Thanks again!
yogamama28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:36 PM   #15
Registered Users
My Mood:

DD has a cold/yuckiness right now. She can do a sippy but she wants the comfort of her momma. I am putting the humidifier next to us when I nurse her. (i'm adding salt to it so it puts out lots of steam) I syringe her nose (with a hospital bulb syringe not the ones I bought at a store. I purchased some pink ones that suck... er rather don't suck. Thankfully her pediatrician's office sells the hospital ones) Although the latching & delatching is not fun, She really wants to nurse. I sit her up as much as I can. It's hard to watch them struggle and not feel good. I'm also offering her warm liquids in her sippy (not hot but warmer than room temp mint tea... it helps settle a yucky stomach as it might get upset from swallowing mucus)
Sahm married to a wonderful man who does the dishes with DS 11/18/02 and DD 7/11/11

My Come Swag with me!
Rdesonia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:25 AM   #16
Registered Users
My Mood:

Originally Posted by KelseyH View Post
Do you have a bulb syringe? We ran into this with DS (although it wasn't as bad as your LO sounds) and I would suction out his nose, flush it with aerosolized saline spray, then suction it out again. Repeat the last two if necessary. I'd also prop him up with my knee so he would be a little more upright while nursing. HTH!
I agree with this but also be careful in suctioning because baby's nose is sensitive. I also agree bulb syringe does "sucks" in sucking the liquid/mucous. I hate it too when my DD has colds because she is having so much difficulty in BF at this time,. before I also use the bulb syringe/saline solution but it won't work much when the cold is too much plus dr said that it should not be taken too much if only needed.
Humidier is great. Change in position might also help, when DD has cold I make her sleep/BF on top of me. An upright position when BF might also work. Hope this help!
sweetDD is offline   Reply With Quote