Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-14-2007, 08:59 AM   #1
excitednewIM
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How to find a sitter??

How do you guys find responsible sitters that you trust your LOs with?? DH and I would love to get out maybe 2xs a month or so for dinner or a movie but don't know where to start as far as finding someone to watch the girls. We don't have any family in TX and don't think our friends would be comfortable with watching 2 babies (friends are a bit younger than us). I found some posts on craigslist of local college students looking to sit but what do you think??

Advertisement

www.littleacornchildcare.net
excitednewIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:17 AM   #2
flobee76
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How to find a sitter??

Do you attend a church? How about MOPs or another mom's group? Those would be my first places to check.

You could always interview those college students that posted on Craigslist, but make sure that you have your DH there with you, just to play it safe. See how they interact with you and your children.

Or, you could go to the park where other moms hang out and ask around there!!
Mom to DD (5/04), DS (8/07), DD (2/09)DD (5/13), Blessing #4 in the arms of Jesus 11/2011

Jesus-follower, Traditional Foodie, Homeschooler, frugal-er
flobee76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:34 AM   #3
purplesue
Registered Users

We have hired the woman who our church hired to work in the nursery since DD knows her. If you go to church, ask other parents about the youth at the church. I got lots of jobs that way when I babysat. The university near us keeps a list of college students who want babysitting jobs. Also, if you know other parents, ask them what they do and if you can "borrow" their sitters.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:45 AM   #4
yellowcampcat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My friend just told me about sittercity.com. I was pretty skeptical, but she is a person I trust, and she said they started using them after having no luck finding anyone (they have 3 kids under 5 and no family in the area, didn't want to burden friends from church with their own kids at home). She said you advertise a job and people respond who'd like it and tell you their rates. THey all have background checks and references listed that you can contact. You can also have them come over for an interview before you allow them to be alone w/ your kids. I haven't tried them yet personally, but it might be an option if you are really stuck. I feel for you, we are in the same boat.
yellowcampcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:56 AM   #5
orangemnms
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

At first we started by posting a "job" on the job board at my old high school. I was still friends with the counselors there and was able to call and check on the students who called We had a great high school student that came over twice a week for a year plus till she went to college.

Then we evolved to asking the preschool teachers (the younger ones without kids of their own) if they were interested. Most were, as lets face it, all teachers are underpaid! We used one of them for an overnight trip, and very rarely for date night type sitting.

Now, we are in the same boat with you again. We've waited so long in between sitter uses, LOL, that we have lost touch with the ones we used to know (I'm talking 2 years LOL.)

I would definitely check out the ones on CL. Start with the ads that sound the most articulate and child friendly, and send them an email letting them know a little bit about your family. When they respond, you have an opportunity to gauge them further. And this part sounds sneaky, but google their email address. Usually, you can learn a LOT about a person, what kinds of activities they are insterested in, what kind of communities they belong to, by doing that. Use your own as an example, I think you will be shocked by what you see!

Lastly, NEVER feel funny asking for and then really checking on the references. I've actually had references tell me no, they wouldnt leave their DC with an individual again, with valid reasons, and that sealed the deal on that one!

orangemnms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:31 AM   #6
jandc_hammond
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Once school starts, you could drop by a local high school or college and ask the teacher of a child devolpment class for a recommendation (or leave your name and number for the teacher to pass along to students). That's how I found a family that I sat for a lot throughout high school/college.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:37 AM   #7
mom2katie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcampcat View Post
My friend just told me about sittercity.com. I was pretty skeptical, but she is a person I trust, and she said they started using them after having no luck finding anyone (they have 3 kids under 5 and no family in the area, didn't want to burden friends from church with their own kids at home). She said you advertise a job and people respond who'd like it and tell you their rates. THey all have background checks and references listed that you can contact. You can also have them come over for an interview before you allow them to be alone w/ your kids. I haven't tried them yet personally, but it might be an option if you are really stuck. I feel for you, we are in the same boat.
I used sittercity.com and found the best sitter for dd! She is in school getting her elementary ed degree and wanted to make some money to help out with expenses. She has been watching dd for about 4 months now. She had references and a background check. I also had her come over for an interview before I left her with dd.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:49 AM   #8
excitednewIM
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks so much ladies!!

www.littleacornchildcare.net
excitednewIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 11:35 AM   #9
JnSAlger
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Moore, OK/Chesapeake, VA/Lynbrook, NY/Huntsville, AL/Augusta, GA
My Mood:

We will be using kids from our church and the girls catholic school...