Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-17-2012, 10:38 PM   #11
ashley84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: What do I do with all our milk? I'm really confused.

Thanks for all of your responses! I decided to send my LC a message on FB about this. She put me in touch with a local mama who is looking for donor milk for her baby. I'm planning on sending my whole freezer stash her way very soon.

I'm not going to stop pumping anytime soon though. I'm going to do the paperwork so I can become a donor for the milkbank that supplies the NICU at the hospital I gave birth to both of my kiddos at. I want my milk to go to NICU babies too.

Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 11:09 PM   #12
strongwoman
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm glad to read that there are many different options when having so much extra milk. I planned on donating to the milk bank but didn't get that far because I needed to save milk for when I went back to work. Anyway, you're an awesome mom for pumping and saving for others in need! Really encouraging to read these posts!
strongwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:24 PM   #13
me_just_me
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley84 View Post
Thanks for all of your responses! I decided to send my LC a message on FB about this. She put me in touch with a local mama who is looking for donor milk for her baby. I'm planning on sending my whole freezer stash her way very soon.

I'm not going to stop pumping anytime soon though. I'm going to do the paperwork so I can become a donor for the milkbank that supplies the NICU at the hospital I gave birth to both of my kiddos at. I want my milk to go to NICU babies too.
A few months ago I donated my freezer stash of over 1,000 oz to the milk bank. When the lady who came to pick it up was walking out the door she said, "Thank you so much! You are saving little lives today!" It made me feel like all my milk was going some place that could help the neediest babies. And she said that they were running low on milk and had only enough to get by each day. She also let me know that just a 1/4 of an ounce can be a meal for a super tiny baby, so every bit is needed!
Old 11-17-2012, 11:37 PM   #14
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

I think it's awesome for you to donate, I am donating to a mama local I met through fb via another friend and then through human milk for human babies, and it is a great feeling. She provides the freezer bags, and it works out great.
All your fears make me worry about what some may be doing with donated milk, I am glad I met the mama I am helping and she is known by another friend of mine so I feel safe.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:56 AM   #15
dudleypippen
Registered Users
seller
seller

I just donated 300+ ounces to a local mama yesterday and am awaiting bloodwork to donate another 800+ to a milk bank. It was hard to let it go and there is always that fear that I might not produce enough later, but I just can't justify holding on to all of it when I've never had to use any of my freezer stash at 7 months. I figure I need to trust that my body will meet my baby's need as it has so far. I will add an extra pumping session later if my supply dips. You are doing a wonderful thing mama! I'm so encouraged that there are so many milk donors here!
Old 11-18-2012, 06:50 AM   #16
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's awesome mama! I hate looking at the ridiculous amounts of milk I have and not being able to donate it. It breaks my heart. I think mamas who do donate are so wonderful.

I have to ask, when do you find time to pump? I was an EP'er making almost 40oz extra a day and now DS is nursing exclusively, hasn't had a bottle in 5 days now. The LC originally told me to pump 3-4 times a day and slowly wean but I just can't, it makes the engorgment and oversupply so much worse. Plus Idon't know when I could pump, he doesn't have any sort of schedule so what if I pump and he gets hungry 5 minutes later? ahhh I almost envy you for being able to pump so much without pain!

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:21 PM   #17
CASMama711
Registered Users
Formerly: chmom77
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley84 View Post

Yay! From a mama whose babies have received both milk bank milk and private donations- THANK YOU!

Last edited by CASMama711; 11-18-2012 at 01:23 PM.
CASMama711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:43 PM   #18
Sarahknavy
Registered Users
seller

I just wanted to say ... That was a GREAT idea?? Not sure I would have thought of it. I donated a very small amount when I was about to move from Florida to Washington ... The lady probably spent more in gas to drive to my house than if she sold the stuff.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:50 PM   #19
PurpleDaffodil
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Wow I'm in awe of the amount you ladies can pump. Where do you find the time, I feel like everytime i pump, my LO wakes up and wants to nurse.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:21 PM   #20
ashley84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I felt kind of silly reading all these praises. It's not a big deal for me to pump at all. I didn't realize how big of a deal it is for those on the other end of things.

I just got back from donating. The baby that got my milk really needs it. She's 7 months old and she's only 14lbs. (My 7 week old is 14lbs!) She's in the 3rd percentile. Her mom has PCOS. She's tried everything she can to get her supply up. She's taking the maximum dose of Domperidone, drinking Mother's Milk tea, etc. She still isn't making enough. Her daughter has tried a bunch of different kinds of formula and had bad reactions to everything. Her doctor is super concerned because she keeps dropping percentiles. Her mom said she's up every hour all night long. They've gotten other donor milk but were running low and were having to ration out what was left. The baby wasn't really taking solids well. She just wants milk. Mom said she cries all the time because she just can't make the milk her daughter needs. Dad was there too. One or both of them is/are an EMT. They were so friendly and incredibly grateful.

I could not possibly feel better about myself right now. I'm on top of the world. I'm going to keep supplying them with as much as they need. I'm still going to register as a donor with the milk bank that supplies our hospital. The family that took my milk today doesn't need as much as I pump.

Thank you everyone for your praises. I get it now. I really get it now. If anyone is reading this and thinking about donating, PLEASE DO IT. It's an amazing gift.