Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-19-2012, 12:34 PM   #1
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
WHY are MILs so terrible?

Or in-laws period.

Why is it that I can get along civilly with 99% of people I come into contact with but 2 minutes with my mil turns me into the hulk?

I tried to Google up factual, scientific reasons for why so many wives and mils hate each other but it was mostly just "mothers still trying to mother blah blah."

Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 12:36 PM   #2
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: WHY are MILs so terrible?

Haha. Please vent some more! I wish sometimes I could put a plug in her mouth. She saw my son's amber teething necklace and the first thing she said was "all I'm going to do is make fun of him until you take that off...." What?!?!?! You are ACTUALLY going to make fun of a 9 month old. What a monster!
Old 11-19-2012, 12:36 PM   #3
ARogers
Registered Users
seller
seller

Lol. I feel the same way. Not all my IL's but definitely MIL and BIL and SIL. They make me want to
Old 11-19-2012, 12:40 PM   #4
AleahDeann
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

YES!!! I have no idea why, I get along with 99% of people, but my MIL, NO WAY. I think it is the mother bear in me!! Something about wanting to raise my children how I want to. I dont care how she would do it, or her opinions. I know what I want and that is how it is to be done! LOL Oh I could really write a book about her.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:47 PM   #5
delicatefade
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I absolutely love my MIL. And FIL isn't so bad either! I consider myself to be incredibly blessed.

Holland Grace is here! (14/4/2013)
delicatefade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:51 PM   #6
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

My MIL and I don't see eye to eye at ALL on anything. DH agrees that we would never, ever choose her as a friend, given the choice. But, because she is all we have in the grandparent department we take what we can get and we try to be there for her.

What I often wonder is how can someone with whom I have so little in common, who I think is incredibly immature and self-centred have raised the person I am choosing as my life partner and who I love? How is that possible?

Last edited by Geckmumto3; 11-19-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Geckmumto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:57 PM   #7
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:

DH has a big exended family and the only ones I don't particularly like are the ones he admits are pretty screwed up. I loved my MIL. I think a lot of it has to do with DH. They were on rocky ground to begin with, so when MIL came around to be with us, she knew she had to play nice with us or he'd send her away like he'd done in the past. But she and I developed a steady friendship outside of DH, I didn't mind her company at all.

Now, DH and MY mom... not so hot. He gets on pretty well with everyone else, but not my mom. It's ok, I wouldn't pick my mom to be friends either, and I know she's got her quirks lol.
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:58 PM   #8
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

I tried to Google up factual, scientific reasons for why so many wives and mils hate each other

LOL!

I get along well enough with my MIL, but I turn into a giant B* when I'm pregnant and I went a little too far a few times. I handwrote her an apology, which she never acknowledged, after our last baby was born. She hasn't called me or emailed me since, though she acts very civilly when we're together. I hope she doesn't hate me.

She's just soooooo.....I don't know. She's not that great a cook (nor am I, apparently), she doesn't provide the best care for the kids (barely meeting minimum requirements for basic care and mostly just lets them watch TV ALL day), she seems irritated when I have nothing for her to do around the house but she physically can't do most of the work that needs doing so I don't even ask. She stays for 3-7 days at a time a few times over the summer. Hubby does not support me in my feelings about her, so I'm about ready to crawl out of my skin after a day or two. I suffer in silence. I think my blood pressure just went up a couple notches just thinking about her.

I actually get along pretty well with almost every single other in-law, though.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:05 PM   #9
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am sorry for all those that have horrible IL's

I have to say I am very blessed. I love my MIL and FIL and my 3 SIL's and thier DH's. We get along great. My MIL went with me to the hospital when she was here for a weekend (for another cousins wedding along with DH's sisters and FIL) when I thought there was somehting wrong with DD. DH was at work. She sat with me for 3 hours in the little triage room while I was hooked up to monitors. FIL and SIL's boyfriend kept the boys all morning and took them for lunch including moving carseats around between cars.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:12 PM   #10
hac1224
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My relationship with my ILs has varied over the years. Things are good now, but we've had our major spats. Fortunately, none of them lasted long.