Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-19-2012, 07:15 AM   #11
Our5boys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Does anyone have painted cabinets with wood colored trim?

I am toying with the idea of painting my cupboards and my wood ceiling/walls as well. We have a wood ceiling and two walls, wood cabinets and wood flooring. They are all different shades of wood though and it drives me batty. I know so many people are against painting wood but I just think it is overkill of wood in my kitchen.

I love the blue you have picked out for the lower cabinets. I think that with the layout with the kitchen being so open that it wouldn't really matter that it wasn't the same color of wood as the rest of the trim. I spend a lot of time in the kitchen and I think it is important that you do what you like. I would love to see the finished product and hear about the process.

Advertisement

Our5boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:11 AM   #12
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Love those colors!

I'd probably do the blue on bottom cabinets and tape on uppers. I'd probably add a pencil thin trim of the blue to the small trim area by bead board. I would have to try just one to see how it looked though...

I'd do the blue on the island OR go a shade or two darker (same family of blue grey,just a deeper variation)

I actually have been looking at a glass back splash type tile at Lowes that would look great with those colors. I knew I wanted stainless counter tops paired with the tile but was stuck on cabinet colors. These pictures helped!

That said, I have painted cabinets and it is A LOT of work. A whole lot of work. It isn't cheap either for a good quality paint.

~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:50 AM   #13
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by somo_chickenlady View Post
So I was talking to DH, and I mentioned blue cabinets, and he didn't immediately scoff at the idea, but asked for pictures to get an idea of what I was talking about.

I was thinking this blue on the bottom cabinets:

...and a taupe color like this on the upper cabinets:

I think those two colors would look good with the trim and the existing paint color (in the above photos I posted), as well as the cream counters which we can't afford to replace. I was also thinking of putting up a beadboard back splash, b/c that is something I could easily do myself, and it would go with the beadboard in the cabinet doors. Also, I LOVE open shelving, so I was thinking of taking the doors off of the two cabinet between the corner cabinet and the refrigerator, and if I put beadboard up inside the back of them and painted it, that it would look really cool.

What do you think? Should I still paint the island darker, or do you think the blue would look okay on it? I think the blue and the color of our trim would match well, but I'm not sure if that is too much. Kwim?
I recognize that top photo! It's in my houzz ideabook, too.

How much contrast is there in the taupe and your cream countertops? That would be my determining factor as to what to paint where. I think that you could get away with doing the top and bottom that blue since your kitchen is so open and the countertops are cream. Do the island taupe to help transition into the great room and do the inside of the open uppers taupe to bring it together.

Take my thoughts with a grain of salt as I lust after this kitchen here:
http://www.houzz.com/photos/188997/C...spaceQuestions
Old 11-19-2012, 10:54 AM   #14
Done at 3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I don't think that would look odd at all. It sounds really pretty!
Old 11-19-2012, 05:24 PM   #15
jam's mum
Registered Users
seller
seller

So it took me forever and I took a terrible phone picture because I couldn't wrangle the battery into the camera, and my kitchen is a complete mess but anyway:

I realise this photo isn't the best ambassador for an attractive kitchen, but I promise it looks much better both in real life and than it was and I'm sure yours will look beautiful too.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:30 PM   #16
somo_chickenlady
Registered Users

My Mood:

That looks really nice, thanks! Your trim is very similar in color to ours. Thanks for sharing that pic, I really appreciate it!

After 12 years of TTC #2, multiple miscarriages, failed infertility treatments, and two failed (not on our end) attempts at becoming foster/adopt parents in two states...we gave up. I stick around for the awesome conversation.
somo_chickenlady is offline   Reply With Quote