Closed Thread Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 09:03 PM   #51
March's Avatar
March
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 2,535
Re: Alva stealing prints?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinLou View Post
Kawaii stole the Mod Flower, Alva has stollen Owls and Nature (wich they are calling Blue Owls and Tiny Trees)

the impact these companies are having on the US based manufacturers is awful, supporting them is bad for every small business in the US that is following rules, playing fair, and employing Americans, the whole thing makes me so sad
Agreed, 100%. And then they cover their tracks on all their ebay/alibaba listings, denoting which copyrights and patents anybody who ships them to the US will be breaking, so they get off scott-free. I wish everyone who ordered a stolen print had the package seized at customs.

Advertisement

March is offline  
Old 11-19-2012, 09:03 PM   #52
Skybaby712's Avatar
Skybaby712
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,865
Omg.... This really urks me. I've seen Kawaii newborn diapers with the stolen Grovia prints too. I normally don't get too bothered by the knock offs copying, I just never buy any of their diapers, ever. This Lovelace stolen print is just WRONG though!! BG products were what I initally started my stash with and I hate to see their prints stolen. And there are people that are buying these too, which I feel is just as bad
__________________
WOHM to my sweet bean married to my best friend
Skybaby712 is offline  
Old 11-19-2012, 09:09 PM   #53
lrgs's Avatar
lrgs
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,159
My Mood:
Re: Alva stealing prints?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinLou View Post
Kawaii stole the Mod Flower, Alva has stollen Owls and Nature (wich they are calling Blue Owls and Tiny Trees)

the impact these companies are having on the US based manufacturers is awful, supporting them is bad for every small business in the US that is following rules, playing fair, and employing Americans, the whole thing makes me so sad
Agree...........they are hurting all the companies who are ethical and do crazy things like design their own prints and pay liveable wages.
__________________
Lana: Mama to Mya Oct/2007 and Ainsley July/2010.
lrgs is offline  
Old 11-19-2012, 09:12 PM   #54
newmommy13's Avatar
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 7,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by hthrvghn

Our prints are original and designed in-house and are exclusive to bumGenius. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Heather
Social Media Coordinator
Cotton Babies
__________________
I, mama to dd A (3-08) dfs J (10/11) and in love with newbie dfd N! (10/13)
hopeful pre-adoptive foster family
newmommy13 is offline  
Old 11-19-2012, 09:22 PM   #55
kaia.aline's Avatar
kaia.aline
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,612
Just a thought but since many mamas on here buy those brands and this board runs coops for them talking about how it's wrong to buy them/hope their packages get seized is not a great idea
__________________
after waiting so long my baby girl Terra Lynn was born august 2 2012!

Ask me how to earn FREE jewelry and other amazing deals from Lia Sophia!
kaia.aline is offline  
Old 11-19-2012, 09:26 PM   #56
March's Avatar
March
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 2,535
Re: Alva stealing prints?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia.aline View Post
Just a thought but since many mamas on here buy those brands and this board runs coops for them talking about how it's wrong to buy them/hope their packages get seized is not a great idea
Welllll... I'm just not that worried about stepping on toes about this one. There is a moral problem with creating, selling, and purchasing these diapers. I mean, I'd really like to see someone try to defend this. People can argue all they want about quality or customer service comparisons between knock-offs and the industry brands--that argument would go on forever. Likewise, there are always going to be people defending the knock-offs by saying that there's no proof that they've stolen an exact pattern design or method of construction from any industry brand, so there's no intellectual property theft. But this clearly, clearly crosses the line into IP theft and copyright infringement. Conscious consumership precludes purchasing it.
March is offline  
Old 11-19-2012, 09:29 PM   #57
BeccaSueCongdon's Avatar
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by March

Welllll... I'm just not that worried about stepping on toes about this one. There is a moral problem with creating, selling, and purchasing these diapers. I mean, I'd really like to see someone try to defend this. People can argue all they want about quality or customer service comparisons between knock-offs and the industry brands--that argument would go on forever. Likewise, there are always going to be people defending the knock-offs by saying that there's no proof that they've stolen an exact pattern design or method of construction from any industry brand, so there's no intellectual property theft. But this clearly, clearly crosses the line into IP theft.
I see it on the same level as pirating DVDs or music. My DH is a musician and a live event audio tech, and is a huge stickler about those IP and copyright laws.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline  
Old 11-19-2012, 09:33 PM   #58
BeccaSueCongdon's Avatar
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrgs

Agree...........they are hurting all the companies who are ethical and do crazy things like design their own prints and pay liveable wages.
I do have to wonder though if they are really stealing customers, or just creating their own market of customers. Someone who is willing to pay $20-30 for a US made/designed diaper and who has ethical reservations about paying $5 for a China made fake brand, is a very different customer than someone who isn't willing to pay $20-30 for a diaper when they can get an imitation for $5. The customers that alva is picking up and holding in to aren't nexessaily customers that would be buying from Cotton Babies or Grovia on a regular basis. Does that make sense? I still think these companies are in the wrong, I'm more just thinking out loud.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline  
Old 11-19-2012, 09:38 PM   #59
MTmommyof3's Avatar
MTmommyof3
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 575
Re: Alva stealing prints?

I will chime in here, because stolen registered artwork that is copyright protected by U.S. law is a serious issue and affects the entire cloth diaper market. We go to great lengths to provide our customers with unique prints that are designed by our in house graphics team here at GroVia.

Yes, Mod Flower, Owls, and Nature all have been stolen and "reproduced" by Alva. There is very little we can do because U.S. copyright laws only protect us for the goods sold here on U.S. soil. What that does mean, is anyone importing these copied prints can be held liable. We take this issue seriously.

Yes, DiaperSwappers does host an Alva Coop featuring our copied prints and we have tried contacting them numerous times asking them to remove the diapers with the stolen prints from the Alva Coop, but they will not reply via email or via the PM system here on the board.
__________________
Kim, mama to D(13), A(10), K(8), T(6), S(2), and N !
Founder of The Natural Baby Company and GroVia

Last edited by MTmommyof3; 11-19-2012 at 09:39 PM.
MTmommyof3 is offline  
Old 11-19-2012, 09:38 PM   #60
March's Avatar
March
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 2,535
Re: Alva stealing prints?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon View Post
I see it on the same level as pirating DVDs or music. My DH is a musician and a live event audio tech, and is a huge stickler about those IP and copyright laws.
My mom is a librarian, so copyright and IP have been hammered.into.my.head since I was born. If I accidentally broke a copyright law I'd probably have to call a priest to hear my confession right away.

But seriously. I'd love to hear someone try to defend this! This is killing the industry that created our shared hobby, you know?
March is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.