Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-19-2012, 04:40 PM   #11
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: should I forward face him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmom77 View Post
Personally, I would wait until he reaches 40 lbs. and/or age 2.
This. I generally wouldn't buy a Radian to get me the extra 5 pounds, but in your case, since kiddo isn't even 2 yet, I would in a heartbeat.

The bones don't ossify til much later, so I would rearface every single day that kiddo still fits in your seat.

Advertisement

My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:58 PM   #12
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would put the seat in the middle so it doesn't affect your husband and at least wait until 2. It will get easier to get him in and he won't fight you soon. It is just the age.

Last edited by nohollyhomaker; 11-19-2012 at 04:59 PM.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:30 PM   #13
mrstilly
Registered Users
seller

I can't move him to the middle if he is rear facing. DH needs his seat back too far or he literally cannot fit in the vehicle. I do wish that I had bought a radian instead of the seats we have because they sit lower and would be easier for DS to get into. But DH lost his job last spring and there is no way that we can afford new seats. Or even one new seat. That would be my ideal solution though.

I guess I will give it a bit more time. He will hit 40 pounds soon enough, and at least I know the struggle to get him in his seat won't last forever.
mrstilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:48 PM   #14
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstilly
I can't move him to the middle if he is rear facing. DH needs his seat back too far or he literally cannot fit in the vehicle. I do wish that I had bought a radian instead of the seats we have because they sit lower and would be easier for DS to get into. But DH lost his job last spring and there is no way that we can afford new seats. Or even one new seat. That would be my ideal solution though.

I guess I will give it a bit more time. He will hit 40 pounds soon enough, and at least I know the struggle to get him in his seat won't last forever.
Would he be at all motivated by a reward system? Like an immediate reward in the form of a sticker chart? You could take it to the seat or where he can see it, and once he's climbed in and buckled he can choose a sticker and put it on. It would take more time to get him in that way, but maybe just about as much time as hog-wrestling him into the seat when he's feisty?

My son use to throw the craziest fits at that age about his carseat. And we had the exact same seat - the graco MyRide. Is he verbal enough to ask him if its uncomfortable or hurts his back? Once my son was able to talk he told us that his graco hurt his back. Poor booger.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:32 PM   #15
mrstilly
Registered Users
seller

No, he can't say if the seats bother him. Usually he is fine once he is in though, so I think it is more about being confined, something he has never liked.
mrstilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:37 PM   #16
lilychic4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No, you're not horrible for wanting to FF him. But I agree that you shouldn't.
The car seat cram is tough now... just wait until he is FF and can slither down on to the floor of the vehicle and slide away from you. >.< At least when RF you have him confined between the seat and the vehicle.

Try maybe teaching him to climb in to the car seat to avoid hitting his head.
Try maybe holding him in a sitting position (from hip carry, swing the back leg forward so he's sitting on your arm with both legs forward) then slide him in. It makes it a lot easier to get the harness on before he can go stiff-as-a-board on you.
Try maybe special car toys he only sees in the car.
Try maybe gadgety things to keep little hands busy. Shoe laces intertwined through cardboard or foam with various holes could entertain my 20mo for hours!

Like you said, he doesn't want to be confined. It's a age thing. It won't get any better if you FF him. I can so very much relate though and I promise this too shall pass.

**hugs**
(CPST momma to an Amazon child ERFing in a compact car as well as a 20mo boy)
lilychic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:37 PM   #17
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstilly
No, he can't say if the seats bother him. Usually he is fine once he is in though, so I think it is more about being confined, something he has never liked.
I totally remember that age. We're there now with my dd actually. :-)
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:25 PM   #18
rverrone11
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would definitely not turn him FFing. My older DD was big like he is, and we went through 3 car seats to keep her RFing longer than 2 years.

When my girls started fighting getting in their car seats, we let them climb in. They usually climb through the front seats to get to their seats. We have a Britax Marathon, and my younger DD can easily climb into it on her own. I've bumped my girls' heads many times and had to fight them to get buckled. But RFing is so much safer that it's worth it.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:01 AM   #19
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My daughter is 20 months, and 22 pounds, and fights us with the carseat too. Sadly, I think some of it is just the age.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:04 AM   #20
aries416
Registered Users
seller

My 25 month old fights me getting in his car seat. It's awful and I dread taking him out because its so bad. He's 100% fine once he's buckled and the car is moving. Getting to that point is just hard!