Closed Thread Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-19-2012, 11:30 PM   #91
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by laineypaige
Well I've bought and have several Alvas and I really like them. I could never have afforded diapers that cost $20 each or even $10 each used. I even bought one of their new prints, that I know now was a copy of someone's design. It's the owl one. But I've never bought or used, or even seen a grovia diaper so I had no way of knowing it was their print. I just thought it was cute so I bought it.

Some of the previous posters were right, ya'll are bashing people like me claiming that by buying Alva diapers we are ruining the cloth diaper industry and all these small businesses. Well I can promise that wasn't my intention. I just wanted to use cloth, but only had a small amount of money to do it with so I went with cheap, and so far, they've worked fine.

I understand the ethical aspect of this, and I won't buy a stolen print again, but I will probably buy Alva diapers again, and I don't think you all should judge me because of that.

I've enjoyed this website since I joined, and all the people I've met through it, but this post is very judgmental, and I know everyone has a right to their opinion and right to voice their opinion, but please don't talk badly about others, because people can get their feelings hurt.
I, for one, am not trying to make anyone feel bad. But I agree with the PP who mentioned that any CD is cheaper than sposies over the long run and that there are definitely cheap options out there. I feel strongly about this topic for the reasons mentioned, namely, products like this create an unfair playing field for the market. This post isn't about judgment or making others feel bad but i hope it makes people think about the ethical side and the bigger picture of piracy and supporting dishonest companies overseas.

Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 11:52 PM   #92
skeletor807
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Alva stealing prints?

That's sad that they would steal prints. I'm just starting out and thought of buying a few from alva's but I'm definitely not going to. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 11-20-2012, 12:06 AM   #93
MTmommyof3
Registered Users

Thank you Sally and Amy (Moderators) for their quick response tonight and tackling this issue. You ladies are fantastic and GroVia truly appreciates your efforts!
Old 11-20-2012, 12:21 AM   #94
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTmommyof3 View Post
Thank you Sally and Amy (Moderators) for their quick response tonight and tackling this issue. You ladies are fantastic and GroVia truly appreciates your efforts!
Thank you too
Old 11-20-2012, 06:11 AM   #95
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow-- I had no idea that this was evening happening. I bought some Alva's off FSOT since they were cheap and I needed pockets for daycare.

I can see the lure for cheaper pockets. Not everyone can afford the $20 a piece for WAHM diapers if they need a certain brand. But it has been nice to see others like Diapersafari and Diaper Junction coming out with a less expensive pocket
Old 11-20-2012, 06:32 AM   #96
yogamama28
Registered Users
seller

It seems like Imagine is kind of filling the need for cheap pockets with their one size pocket. There's no reason to have to buy China cheapies when you have a US-based company selling such reasonably priced diapers (with way better quality too, I'd have to think). My dh has made me promise not to buy any more China cheapies. There's too many good choices of ethically run companies making great diapers for me to have to resort to Alva's in the future. They cost more but it seems to cost them more to play by the rules. I'll support that.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:43 AM   #97
mms1972
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerissa
Wow-- I had no idea that this was evening happening. I bought some Alva's off FSOT since they were cheap and I needed pockets for daycare.

I can see the lure for cheaper pockets. Not everyone can afford the $20 a piece for WAHM diapers if they need a certain brand. But it has been nice to see others like Diapersafari and Diaper Junction coming out with a less expensive pocket
IMO...those 2 brands seem like rebranded Alvas actually..I 've had both and they are pretty similar...just maybe some custom features added....I think the Imagine pocket is a more unique option when looking for a cheaper alternative.... I may be the only one but I don't have a problem with Alvas as far as the actual diaper goes...yes I think its crappy of them to steal those patterns...and hopefully something can be done about it BUT I really am glad there is option for those who can't afford a $15-$20 diaper. And it is kinda offensive to say...well they can just use prefold/flats......prefold/flats are not for everyone so if I was reading this thread and used alvas because of $$$$ issues I would be offended.

Sent from my VM670 using DS Forum
Old 11-20-2012, 06:55 AM   #98
L J
Gazelle Intense
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon

I do have to wonder though if they are really stealing customers, or just creating their own market of customers. Someone who is willing to pay $20-30 for a US made/designed diaper and who has ethical reservations about paying $5 for a China made fake brand, is a very different customer than someone who isn't willing to pay $20-30 for a diaper when they can get an imitation for $5. The customers that alva is picking up and holding in to aren't nexessaily customers that would be buying from Cotton Babies or Grovia on a regular basis. Does that make sense? I still think these companies are in the wrong, I'm more just thinking out loud.
I'm still working through this thread, but I just have to reply to this because I think it's very interesting food for thought.

In 2006, there were about 15 cloth diapering mamas in my entire state (Alabama). At least, that were online in any way. Six years later, there in a CD in AL Facebook group with over 100 members!

I would say that 75% of these mamas started out using China cheapies exclusively. They were lured in by the "cute" prints and the price, and it got them hooked on cloth. But, what I have noticed is once they are hooked, they start looking at the bigger name US based companies and even WAHM dipes. These are mamas that never would have fathomed starting CD with a stash of BGs or Grovia because of the price.

Alvas have been a major "gateway diaper" in my own community. It's really interesting to watch.

This is not me condoning them using others prints in any way whatsoever. But I agree with you that these diapers appeal to a different market, for the most part, than the big name US based company diapers do.

I have a question, if anyone might have any ideas. HOW does Alva get their hands on these prints? If they are designed and created in house for Grovia or Bumgenius, how does Alva get them in the first place. With the exception of Michael Miller carnival bloom, these aren't fabric you can get at a fabric store.

Last edited by L J; 11-20-2012 at 07:02 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:12 AM   #99
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mms1972 View Post
IMO...those 2 brands seem like rebranded Alvas actually..I 've had both and they are pretty similar...just maybe some custom features added....I think the Imagine pocket is a more unique option when looking for a cheaper alternative.... I may be the only one but I don't have a problem with Alvas as far as the actual diaper goes...yes I think its crappy of them to steal those patterns...and hopefully something can be done about it BUT I really am glad there is option for those who can't afford a $15-$20 diaper. And it is kinda offensive to say...well they can just use prefold/flats......prefold/flats are not for everyone so if I was reading this thread and used alvas because of $$$$ issues I would be offended.

Sent from my VM670 using DS Forum
I agree with you. I have all three-- Alva, Diapersafari, and Imagine and except for the print I would have a hard time telling the difference. I strongly dislike flats and prefolds are barely tollerable after the newborn stage. Personally I would choose a "cheapie" over sposies since DH will not use prefold or even fitteds.

I don't condone what that they "stole" those few prints but it seams they have plenty of other prints to choose from. TBH most of the WAHM ones to get a cute print you have to pay big bucks and I am not willing/can't do that.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:17 AM   #100
dncnshu00
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerissa View Post

I can say without any hesitation on my part that the Diaper Safari pockets are just rebranded Alvas so they don't win any brownie points from me. I can't speak for the Diaper Junction Pockets. I own an Alva and a Diaper Safari that are so identical I actually have to look at the tag to figure out which one is which. They even have the same funky, shiny fabric at the front opening on the pocket.
Closed Thread