Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-29-2012, 08:50 AM   #11
7mom7
Registered Users

Re: Homeschooling the attention-challenged child

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisathib123 View Post
If I were to do this to my ADD 13 year old, there would be books and pencils flying, LITERALLY!!!! Writing is absolute TORTURE for an ADD child. What works for me is to seat with him and until it's done, correcting as we go. It is a pain for me, but if I don't he will not learn a thing. Almost all of his school work is done 1 on 1. I also keep stacks around and "bribe" him with computer time, football, and ti kwan do. IT IS A STUGGLE!!
Interesting, I was diagnosed with ADD in college and I always loved to write. My son is young but he loves all of his schoolwork right now, including writing. I was never hyperactive but he certainly is. Maybe that is different for each child and not necessarily an ADD/ADHD thing?? A big part of homeschooling for us is teaching character and self control. I think expecting quality work is totally reasonable. I'm already seeing my son take responsibility for his learning and ask me to leave his side so he can "surprise" me with his handwriting assignment or his math worksheet. I guess my thought process would be that even as an adult there are things that we dislike but have to do (like paying bills or doing taxes). It's just part of life and I figure he better learn at a young age that just because you may not like it doesn't mean you don't have to do it and give your best effort.

My dad is also ADHD and he dislikes writing and isn't really confident in it... but he uses it every single day at work. Sometimes he'll email me stuff to proof-read. He deals with stacks of paperwork and contracts even though he works in construction.

I actually think ADHD is a gift b/c it allows them to think outside the box and be super creative. We have 5 family members with ADD/ADHD...all are extremely smart, they are leaders, and super fun people to be around. A couple of us have taken medicine for it over the years but now everyone has chosen to go off of medication because they feel like they "lost their edge" when they were on it.

(Sorry for the novel...I tend to get on a soapbox with ADHD )

Advertisement

7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:31 PM   #12
Doodlebrainette
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quick update....DD hates spelling with a passion. So I've been trying out other ways to get her to learn new words. We finally hit on a solution that works for us! She lays down so she can roll, twist, turn, flip, whatever her heart desires and she spells them verbally. If she gets the word wrong, I challenge her to try out different ways of spelling the word. Today, she wanted to spell word as "werd," so I told her the vowel was wrong. She picked "wird" and again, I had her respell it. We do it with every word until she learns them. I don't quite understand why rolling and flipping on the floor works, but she is picking up new words and learning her spelling, so I won't complain!
Old 11-14-2012, 06:24 PM   #13
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Could you do some exercises with her to connect left and right brain?My friend who homeschooled her 3 ADD kids did this with them and improved concentration quite a bit
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:17 PM   #14
Doodlebrainette
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainandRedemption View Post
Could you do some exercises with her to connect left and right brain?My friend who homeschooled her 3 ADD kids did this with them and improved concentration quite a bit
I've never heard of this. What kind of exercises? I'd totally try it!
Old 11-14-2012, 07:35 PM   #15
missc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebrainette

I've never heard of this. What kind of exercises? I'd totally try it!
There is a group of exercises called Brain Gym that revolves around this principle. And, I think it's movement based but still has a centering focus, is called Bal-vis-x...
Old 11-22-2012, 12:09 AM   #16
frogerella
Registered Users

I would recommend reading up on Right Brain learning. It sounds a lot like your daughter.
frogerella is offline   Reply With Quote