Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 11-21-2012, 10:05 PM   #21
Registered Users
My kids have lots of notebooks! And colored pencils! Would that be an option? My almost 6 year old is writing all the time. I remind him to take his notebook wherever we Go!

BFing, CDing, all natural mama to three boys! Certified lactation Counselor
keen1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:20 PM   #22
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
Re: My almost 6 y/o is writing on EVERYTHING! I am going bonkers

Thanks everyone for commiserating and for the great suggestions! I appreciate it!

So, I had her choose three toys to keep, then I bagged the rest up. When dh got home, dd came and I made HER carry the bags from the car to the Goodwill truck. It was NOT pretty. I did let her keep one beloved doll that was in the bag but the rest are gone. I was choking back my own tears.

After that, I had planned to have a covo w.her abt responsibility and respect. But she started going tantrum, and as a result, after much pleadiing and reasoning and many chances and lots of counting, she lost her last 4 toys, too. (bagged up and put away, have to be earned back). Then I was on my way to drop her back at home before I finished my shopping but as we pulled into the drive she calmed dowb and begged to come along.

We went to Wal Mart, had some good convos abt responsibility and respect. I got her some coloring books and explained she. Can color in them as much as she would like. We talked abt what lessons she learned and how she will work to change her habits.

Even though this was heart wrenching for me, I truly think she needed it. She has not been respecting ANYONE'S things. It has to change. I have to say, although I do spank, this punishment was far worse for me AND her that any spanking. I hope it will help her change for the better, for good. Ugh. I love her so much.

On my tablet sry for errors!

Last edited by Kiliki; 11-21-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:00 AM   #23
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: My almost 6 y/o is writing on EVERYTHING! I am going bonkers

We have always made our kids clean up stuff like that immediately (well, immediately after we noticed it, sometimes they're sneaky lil' buggers!). Usually they whine about how hard it is, it'll "never come off", etc and then don't do it again.

If it continued, like with your DD, I would put all the markers/crayons/pens/etc in a locked cupboard that only you can access. That way you can get to them when needed for homeschooling, but she can't just have "free range". She could color only when supervised, and must clean everything up when done.

The stuffies would be trashed. And, as to the not cleaning up toys, if our kids don't clean up (if I or DH has to come and clean up things) they lose those toys. We have had times when they have, literally, one stuffed animal on their bed to play with.
They get to earn toys back by keeping things tidy - they tidy their room or the playroom for 2 or 3 days, then they get to pick one toy to have back, etc.

It does suck, you're right! And I agree with these punishments being worse than spanking or time outs. But they do work!
Momma to R (12), Z (10), I (8), L (4), P (2) & J (Apr 14, 2015)
remembering Elliana Lucy (2.7.12)
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote