Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-12-2012, 04:08 PM   #31
Ally's Fuzzies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Afraid of BLW

The thing I found most interesting about BLW was that my daughter learned to chew before she learned to swallow - we only had about two gagging instances the entire time she was learning to eat.

At first, she would just chew things/suck things and spit them out. It was about three weeks until she actually started swallowing things, and by then she was a champ. We didn't do ANY solids prior to introducing BLW, and didn't give her super mushy foods - we started with baked chicken, roasted carrots, potatoes and parsnips, sweet potato wedges, etc... cut into "french fry" sizes pieces.

I never had to take anything out of her mouth/pat her on the back. I don't know if it helps with the nerves, but it can be done!

Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 07:35 AM   #32
Dancy Baby
Registered Users
seller

We are also just starting BLW, ds is 6 mo in a couple days so we started to try foods. So far I have given watermelon chunks, banana and avocado, and some of those baby rice rusks. He loves the watermelon and rusks because they are easier to pick up, but can't manage the slippery banana and avocado. I think I am still afraid to give him stuff directly from our plates because he has teeth and he does chew stuff, but I'm afraid of him biting things and then choking on them I feel like I should just let him practice with the things he is doing okay with now for a couple of weeks to get used to it. We've also been giving him a spoon loaded with soft food a few times and that is messy but he is eating some. I guess we are on the right track?
Dancy Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:33 AM   #33
anne_josh
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyeyesmcgee View Post
Also wanted to add--the choking reflex is REALLY strong in babies so don't be afraid if you see them gag a bit. It's normal, and how they learn NOT to choke on food
This, plus it is my understanding (someone PLEASE do correct me if I'm wrong) that true choking, as in an actual airway blockage, is rare with soft food. The warnings are on things that are hard or chunky--raw veggies, apples, nuts, some meats. If you stick to squishy things like avocado or cooked rice for first foods I think choking is very unlikely. But it is important to know what you're dealing with, so it's a good time to review what to do in the case of actual choking. http://www.babycenter.com/0_infant-f...rticlesection1
anne_josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:51 AM   #34
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I never wanted to do BLW. I was going to feed purees... on a strict introduction schedule. (Same thing I did with DS). BUT DD had issues. She gagged on purees. She had a high palate and swallowing purees was very hard for her. The result was lots of choking and gagging. Strangely, She did very well with soft food, crackers, etc. She would pick it up and it was easier for her to swallow. She STOPPED choking and gagging once I stopped purees and gave her real food. I gave up "my plan" and started doing what she needed. Knowing a little about BLW from DS, gave me more confidence to just give up the purees completely and do what was best for her.
I also took her to a feeding clinic. They were super nice. They had us try different things. For example DD could do the squeeze tubes of apple sauce because it was more like drinking. They thought it was great that I followed her cues and switched to something that worked for her.
Anyway I just thought I'd put my 2 cents in. Food doesn't have to be scary!

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:02 AM   #35
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by anne_josh View Post
This, plus it is my understanding (someone PLEASE do correct me if I'm wrong) that true choking, as in an actual airway blockage, is rare with soft food. The warnings are on things that are hard or chunky--raw veggies, apples, nuts, some meats. If you stick to squishy things like avocado or cooked rice for first foods I think choking is very unlikely. But it is important to know what you're dealing with, so it's a good time to review what to do in the case of actual choking. http://www.babycenter.com/0_infant-f...rticlesection1
Yes an obstruction is true choking. However most people consider it gagging and coughing. With liquids and purees if a child has issues swallowing it, they could aspirate. (It could go in their lungs and cause pneumonia). To prevent aspiration, most doctors recommend thickening the food. When food is thicker (like a real piece of avocado versus a blended puree of avocado), it forces the eater to swallow differently. It is also easier to form into something that can be swallowed.
(Babies suck milk and other liquids. The liquids don't pool in their mouths. To test this:compare the muscles and swallowing from a straw versus from an open cup. You will feel the difference. The straw swallow is often "stronger")

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:05 PM   #36
willownz
Registered Users

My Mood:

Also if the baby is sitting completely upright and is left to put food in it's mouth by itself at it's own pace choking is very very unlikely. You also never leave any baby unattended while it is eating and every parent should know basic first aid.
Gagging is completely normal and for most children is a very important developmental stage. It tells them how much food they can put into their mouth and where exactly to put it, it's just like learning to walk where babies will fall down many times before they figure out where to put their feet to make those first steps.
You need to read Baby led Weaning by Gil Rapely she talks about all these issues.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:55 PM   #37
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I've never read the book. I have always assumed baby led solids meant to watch babies signals he was ready for solids. I wasn't aware there was a specific criteria to follow other than baby's signals.

I do feed my kiddo at first simply because we have a small home. My son's chair does not fit in the kitchen. It is in my carpeted livingroom. He also prefers his food soft rather than crunchy. My older son did as well until 6 or 7 years of age.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:03 PM   #38
willownz
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko
I've never read the book. I have always assumed baby led solids meant to watch babies signals he was ready for solids. I wasn't aware there was a specific criteria to follow other than baby's signals.

I do feed my kiddo at first simply because we have a small home. My son's chair does not fit in the kitchen. It is in my carpeted livingroom. He also prefers his food soft rather than crunchy. My older son did as well until 6 or 7 years of age.
Yep it does but there are certain safety rules like being able to sit upright, be able to put food in their own mouths themselves without help. She mostly advocates waiting until baby starts to grab food off your plate.
We have also found most highchairs completely usless as they all slightly recline. So our little ones either sit on our lap or we use a clip on highchair. I BLW both my girls and from 6 months they were eating whatever we were from roast chickdn legs to wedges to stirfries, pasta, curries and soup. Watching a 7-8 month old eat soup is amazing and messy which is all part of the fun of food.

Kiwl Mum of three.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:16 PM   #39
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by willownz View Post
Yep it does but there are certain safety rules like being able to sit upright, be able to put food in their own mouths themselves without help. She mostly advocates waiting until baby starts to grab food off your plate.
We have also found most highchairs completely usless as they all slightly recline. So our little ones either sit on our lap or we use a clip on highchair. I BLW both my girls and from 6 months they were eating whatever we were from roast chickdn legs to wedges to stirfries, pasta, curries and soup. Watching a 7-8 month old eat soup is amazing and messy which is all part of the fun of food.

Kiwl Mum of three.

I didn't know most highchairs reclined a bit. I haven't used one in 8 years. We have a booster seat with a tray. Our kitchen very tightly fits a tiny table and 3 chairs. We are a family of five. None of us eat in our kitchen.

The criteria you mentioned we have always followed. From some of the comments I was thinking we must not be doing baby led solids because we do feed when we cannot afford the mess.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:43 PM   #40
willownz
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
I didn't know most highchairs reclined a bit. I haven't used one in 8 years. We have a booster seat with a tray. Our kitchen very tightly fits a tiny table and 3 chairs. We are a family of five. None of us eat in our kitchen.

The criteria you mentioned we have always followed. From some of the comments I was thinking we must not be doing baby led solids because we do feed when we cannot afford the mess.
I used a big sheet under the table to combat mess. Most New Zealand houses have combined lounge/dining room/kitchen and our table is on carpet like my parents and my grandparents was.
It is very messy but mess is part of the learning.