Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-21-2008, 08:27 AM   #21
st_leah
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Oxy Clean gave my daughter blisters :(

I don't think you should need to use oxyclean everytime you wash...diapers should not stink like that. Mine stunk like that when I used Norwex detergent too after only 2 months of using them from being brand new. Once I stipped them, like 10 hot washes in a row, I switched to soapnuts evey since never had to strip or extra rinse. I live in WPG too, and our water is pretty hard, I don't think it rinses well enough for oxyclean. I tried Calgon to soften the water a few times and DS got a rash from it. I could still smell it in the diapers after 3 rinses.
The soapnuts don't even need to be rinsed once, nevermind extra times. And the diapers smell like nothing, maybe fresh air, but definitely not a chemical smell. Great for sensitive skin. I remember you had tried them once right? and they turned your microfibre yellow? Maybe try using the liquid instead - just boiled soapnut water- maybe that works better than the whole nuts for the FL.
Good Luck,
Leah

Advertisement

st_leah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 10:39 PM   #22
Bridym
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

it has to be my washing machine. it also felt like the soap nuts left an oily film on my fleece as well.

I bought some Dr. Bronner's today.
Has anyone tried that on diapers?
Old 06-23-2008, 04:20 PM   #23
duckpondsunset
Registered Users
Formerly: duckpondatdusk
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmeneely View Post
That makes no sense. Oxy Clean is water soluable oxygen peroxide. If there are blisters on her labia , I would see a physician about diaper rash. Either she can't take your detergent, has heat rash or needs changed more often but it certainly cannot scientifically be the Oxy Clean.
If you read the Material Safety Data Sheet on Oxy Clean, you'll see clear warnings about possible adverse effects on skin. It may not hurt everyone, but it definitely can cause burns/skin damage with prolonged contact if rinsed improperly (or I assume trapped in ultra absorbant fibers).

Last edited by duckpondsunset; 06-23-2008 at 04:21 PM.
duckpondsunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:30 PM   #24
grrrnaymom
Registered Users

My Mood:

You cannot use Dr. Bronners -sadly! I love that stuff, but I was told it causes horrible build up.

We also are having the red blister issue- We also use oxy and see the rash improve if we put him in a sposie. Looks like I need to adust our cleaning ritual!
Old 06-23-2008, 06:43 PM   #25
carnalcindd
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Same thing happened to us too! I did some reading online and there are others that have had reactions to it as well. It is NOT only hydrogen peroxide. There are other "secret" ingredients in it. I thought it couldn't be the problem, so I stopped using it and the rash was gone. I STUPIDLY started using it again thinking it couldn't have caused the problems, and the rash is back. Never again on the dipes.
carnalcindd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:44 PM   #26
duckpondsunset
Registered Users
Formerly: duckpondatdusk
seller

My Mood:

You can try baking soda and or vinegar for general odor removal as an alternative. Some swear by Tide w/dawn, but if your LO already has sensitive skin you might want to try something unfragranced and hypoallergenic. I use Purex f&c plus a 1/2 cup borax to wash in hot and rinse twice with a little vinegar in the water (sometimes add Ecover softener in the last rinse). Never any diaper stink or skin sensitivity. The one time I used Oxyclean as directed DS had a reddish and inflamed bum. Also, Oxy clean is a base, so you might want to try rinsing out your oxy cleaned diapers with a small(1/3 cup or less) of vinegar (acidic)to help neutralize it.

Last edited by duckpondsunset; 06-23-2008 at 07:49 PM.
duckpondsunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:22 PM   #27
K.D.
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarinetb View Post
Hmm, I was using oxyclean as well and she now as a blistery rash. Started while we were away and I can't get rid of it! Hmmm. might try to strip and not use oxyclean to see if that helps. I feel horrible that she has these blisters!
Me too, but first time with oxyclean...how do I get it out (I did 4 washes already...)? Stripping with Dawn?
K.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:10 AM   #28
clarinetb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.D. View Post
Me too, but first time with oxyclean...how do I get it out (I did 4 washes already...)? Stripping with Dawn?
Wow, this is OLD! :P

My daughter's was not a reaction to the diapers but a true infection, took us an insane amount of time to solve.

Anyway, the comment above is that oxyclean is water soluble, so you're best bet is more washing. Dawn would help with detergent build-up more. I'd try some diaper-free time if you're getting any rashes, or anything as that seems to help heal the best!