Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-10-2007, 10:53 PM   #31
Nicki
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Weird experience at walmart - no you can't hold my baby

Once, Dh and I were out to eat when caitlyn was about 5 mos old. She was squirming and we just got our food. It was one of those times where we had to trade her off to one another to get a bite to eat! An older lady (about 60) and her friend were at a near-by table asked if they could help and just hold her for a couple minutes while we ate. I hesitated for a moment and DH looked like a deer in headlights, but I said, "why not, I'm hungry!" and gave her over to the lady (she was tickled pink BTW) and they just cooed and talked to her the whole time. Caitlyn loved it, and we got to eat!

BTW I would never "leave" my kids with a complete stranger to go somewhere (at least i can't think of any instance that i would).

Advertisement

Nicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 11:00 PM   #32
CrunchyMama0607
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

OMG! LOL some people........
Old 08-11-2007, 01:39 PM   #33
Bella Catalina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow, these stories are interesting. I have had someone in albertsons's (the checkout gal) ask to hold DS when he was just a few weeks old. I didn't bother putting him in the sling as we were just going to be quick, but it grossed me out moreso because she'd been handling money all shift and who knows what germs she had on her hands!
Old 08-14-2007, 09:21 AM   #34
LuMo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What is WRONG with people???

When my youngest was like 3 weeks old, we had our older 2 at a McD's playground and DH was holding the baby and trying to eat a sundae at the same time. Some random woman (grandma there with her little grandson, I think) came up and said, "Here let me take this off your hands so you can eat," and proceeded to try and physically TAKE my baby out of his hands! DH just looked at me like, "what do I do?" and I said, "No! No. We do NOT let people we don't know hold our children."

She then went on to say she didn't mean to scare us (she didn't scare me, she peeved me), and that she's a 911 dispatcher so we should feel safe.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:10 AM   #35
Drearina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Seriously I always have the weirdest experiences at Wal-Mart.
Although I posted on my local freecycle that I was looking for a cheap/free sling back when Sarah was bitty and a woman offered to come "give me some time to myself since she needed a baby fix." Scared the heck out of me and it was just an email.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:18 PM   #36
Bot Girl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

OMG! This freaked me out. I would be so friggin mad!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicap View Post
On 2 separate occasions I have stepped an arm's reach away from the cart to grab something off the shelf. I still had visual, and I have had women come up to my children and kiss them on the mouth....!!!!!!!!!! I had to stop myself from punching them in the face....totally not welcome. One of those women was a Walmart associate...I politely told her that I would appreciate it if she kept her lips to herself.
On the other hand...

I've had to let other ladies watch DD for me. Once, while traveling, I stopped at a rest stop, and carried DD and the bouncy seat into the bathroom. I though I would just use the handicap stall, and put DD in the bouncer while I peed. No go. There was no handicap stall, the floor was DISGUSTING, so I let another lady hold her (she had her 2 daughters w/ her, too - teens, though) while I peed. My only other choices were leave DD in the bouncer outside the stall door or go to another stop (which would probably be just as gross).

Then, as I was eating and trying to feed DD a bottle at the same time, that same lady came over and offered to sit w/ me and feed DD so I could eat too. She said that her kids and hubby were sitting in the car eating, so it wasn't a bother for her. I took her up on the offer. She even picked up on DD's little "I need to burp" squirm that she did. DD squirmed, and the lady looked at me and asked "Does she need to burp?" Just as I was going to tell her that DD needed to burp.

I think that she was a blessing.

Last edited by Bot Girl; 08-14-2007 at 12:19 PM.
Bot Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:31 PM   #37
babymakes3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Def a southern thing!! I've let a stranger hold CJ once. I went to a yard sale by myself and there was a little old lady sitting in a chair until a tree (the grandmother of the girl having the sale) and I was trying to look at baby clothes at the table next to her and she offered to hold him while I looked. I could tell she really wanted to hold him (I have an aunt the same way!) so I let her hold him even though I was able to look and hold him. I was right there next to them and I don't think she was going anywhere very fast! LOL
babymakes3 is offline   Reply With Quote