Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-25-2012, 09:11 PM   #241
rawheid
Registered Users
seller

Re: November Chicken Chat Thread~~~Join in!~~~

Hi, I'm new to this homesteading forum. I haven't read any of the other posts, but I wanted to say HI! I have 51 ISA browns. They will be 15 wks on tuesday. I'm getting excited for our first eggs. I don't really expect any till January since where we live it's pretty cold. None the less, I'm getting excited.

Advertisement

Join me on Swagbucks

rawheid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:57 PM   #242
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Welcome Heidi!! I've read over and over that the young hens will lay right thru the winter so I think you'd be safe to start anticipating that first egg in about a month. Mine are all laying, but I do some supplemental light in the early morning. They have been such fun pets for me too, love how quirky they are.

Sarah, the visual I got... you and I standing stock-still over our incubators, slack jawed and trying not to blink. RFLOL!! The crazy things that entertain us.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:56 AM   #243
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawheid View Post
Hi, I'm new to this homesteading forum. I haven't read any of the other posts, but I wanted to say HI! I have 51 ISA browns. They will be 15 wks on tuesday. I'm getting excited for our first eggs. I don't really expect any till January since where we live it's pretty cold. None the less, I'm getting excited.
Welcome! Those first eggs are sooo exciteing. You jump on in the conversations like you've always been here, ok!! Great to have you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
Welcome Heidi!! I've read over and over that the young hens will lay right thru the winter so I think you'd be safe to start anticipating that first egg in about a month. Mine are all laying, but I do some supplemental light in the early morning. They have been such fun pets for me too, love how quirky they are.

Sarah, the visual I got... you and I standing stock-still over our incubators, slack jawed and trying not to blink. RFLOL!! The crazy things that entertain us.
I know right, hahaha!! I went to go to bed and couldn't resist watching again! One piped before I went in. BUT, wrong end. It may end up needing help? Hope not. Always have bad luck when I have to help. The bator is holding at 59, the heater has been running non-stop with it so cold. I'm nervious with these new low numbers, but I think it's for the best. We'll see, lol. Ya know the little chipmunk that hatched piped on day 18 late that night and was unzipped day 21, T-giving morning when I got up. I got up at 4 and she must have hatched around 2am. I'm thinking they just have little room being small eggs and needed air early so piped. Then hatch when they are ready. Just worrie about this being the wrong end. I havn't read up on that yet, Guess I better start before Cayden get's up.

I caught myself watching again this am, lol.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:03 AM   #244
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm gonna track Patient's weight. Before feeding she was 7.4 oz. Now I need to get a cochin chick of same age to compare weight.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 11-26-2012, 06:08 AM   #245
Bekki
Registered Users
seller
seller

Whoo hatching baby chicks sounds exciting! I can't wait to do that someday!

I think I am going to go ahead and heat the coop, at least this winter. They're so young, I worry about them freezing!

In other news, I have a sneaking suspicion that two of my girls might be roos. The one little guy we KNOW is a rooster is bigger than the others, with a long, tall, pink comb. He even has little waddles starting right now.

Well, one of the "ladies" has had a suspicious-looking comb for the last week or so. In the last couple of days, his/her comb has grown a LOT. AND the little baby's comb is doing the same thing! Both of them are looking a LOT like our little General Tso!

The lady I bought them from told me that the easiest way to sex FBCM's is to compare combs and feet. I haven't been able to really get a good look at their feet, but the combs are definitely concerning. The ladies have short combs that don't go very far up their heads. And they're either yellow/peach or gray-ish.

The General and the others all have very pink combs, tall, and they go way up their heads.

Is it too early to tell???

The good news is that the breeder told me she would trade me back some girls if I somehow ended up with multiple boys.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:11 AM   #246
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's great she will trade you back! Some breeds it's harder to tell because the hens have large combs. Like my australorps. I swore at least one was a roo. One was tail-less for way too long and that means roo with that breed. Well, she lays, lol. They had large red combs and wattles while yound. I don't know what fbcm stands for? Can you find pics online to compare. Sometimes only time will tell, but as you get used to the breed you can normally spot the roos by comb/wattles color and growth. Some pics would help? Ya have any?
Old 11-26-2012, 07:13 AM   #247
Bekki
Registered Users
seller
seller

FBCM stands for French Black Copper Marans. I have tried to find some pictures online, but haven't had a lot of time to really study them. I will try to get pictures of mine later.

I did read a few minutes ago that some FBCM ladies look really masculine as chicks.

Why does it have to be so confusing??? LOL
Old 11-26-2012, 07:42 AM   #248
Bekki
Registered Users
seller
seller

Got some pictures!

This is our roo, General Tso. We have known since day one that he's a he, because we wanted one.

Notice the three chicks behind him - the ones on the left and right obviously look different - their combs are much smaller with less color. Can't see the one in the middle too well from the angle. But this is a good comparison shot of our little man compared to our ladies.

(Don't mind the poop all over the EcoGlow - they like to use that thing as a potty!)

DSC_0274 by bekkihill, on Flickr

Here is one of the suspected boys next to one of the girls. They are both *supposed* to be girls, but you can see the big difference in comb size and shape.

DSC_0275 by bekkihill, on Flickr

These three are supposed to be girls. The two on the right are the ones I am suspicious of. The one in front is about a week younger than the rest. There's a girlie in there to compare.

DSC_0276 by bekkihill, on Flickr

Any thoughts? I think I'm going to post these pics to the Marans thread on BYC to get some advice.

I could be completely wrong because I am SO new to this, but the breeder told me that the bigger combs are roos.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:24 AM   #249
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

ooh Bekki I think you're right, you have a lieutenant and 2and lieutenant in there. Sure, the easiest way to sex all chicks is by saying "hey this one has a huge comb and feet compared to the others, must be a boy!". They can't guarantee that they gave you all girls and a boy based on that, that's silly. Kids can do that. They should have at least attempted to feather sex them for you if they are true breeders. I'm glad they're willing to take them back though.

I'd take them back asap for the same age group chicks. My experience has been that young chicks handle flock change-up better than older ones. The sooner you do it, the better.

Mel had some FCM chicks earlier this year, maybe she could help with the gender ID-ing.

All's quiet in my bator. Everything is holding really well. I'm not expecting any action until tomorrow at least, I set I think about 12 hrs after you Sarah. Plus I think my hatch temps ran a little on the low side for the first week, around 99. I thought I heard a peep when I was standing next to the bator filling the water last night but as loud as the fan inside is and my dog snoring in her bed I couldn't be sure of anything. LOL Congratulations on the pip! FX it makes it out ok.

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 11-26-2012 at 09:26 AM.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:41 PM   #250
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Bekki, how come some have feather legs and some done? Are they all marans? Is it just my bad eyes? I binged it and searched images and there are both kinds, feather legged and non. What kind are yours? They sure are cuTTies!!! They look so simular to some of mine, lol. I agree with you that you deff have extra roos! Time to exchange, lol.

Some of the chicks have hatched, odd. Guess the fan, 100 temp, and steady lower humidity worked for the better. They all look great. The one that pipped too early has the membrain starting to stick to her whole body. Guess she got tired out? I hatched her, had to cut the feathers to free her. Her unbilicus is like the chick last week. They are doing good other than that though. I think there is another in there that pipped.

Hey, does anyone know if a really small vent on a hean has anything to do with age? My blue splash has this TINY vent. I never see her in the boxes either. Never see her mate. I have been trying the food coloring thing, and not a single egg from her. I can't even immagine an egg yould pass through?!!