Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-24-2012, 09:46 AM   #61
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Declined antibiotic for Group B & regretted it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prila84 View Post
Do they let you decline? after doing lots of research i've decided i want to decline if my results come back positive but our hospital won't allow us to decline (i have kaiser). Also from what I 've seen, midwives test for group B strep but usually do not administer antibiotics...
My midwife tests for Strep B and also administers the antibiotics when you go into labor.

God bless!

Advertisement

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:48 AM   #62
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

OP.

I actually know someone who did not get the Strep B antibiotics and her baby got very sick because of it. He almost died. Thankfully he recovered and is normal and healthy... but if you are positive for Strep B, I honestly would not decline the antibiotics. Too risky in my opinion, especially knowing someone who's baby got very ill and DID regret not getting the antibiotics.

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:13 AM   #63
cdeweese
Registered Users
Formerly: New cloth lover
seller
seller

My Mood:

Sorry if this is a thread hijack- I've had Group B with both of my children and have it in my urine now at 16 weeks pregnant. I had antibiotics with both of my labors, both children were fine. However, since I have also had Cholestasis with both pregnancies, it would be nice to not have an added complication. Do any of you know if taking probiotics (how much/often) would help since Im already passing it?
Old 11-25-2012, 12:39 PM   #64
infojunqie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Do your homework, mama. There are some different options other than iv antibiotics. The risk of GBS diminishes with term babies, fewer vaginal checks, and a quick labor. Other factors to consider are water births and not washing the baby because the vernix can help protect baby from GBS. I was GBS+ with the first and had a quick labor (less than 4 hours), used Hibiclens, had a water birth at home, and did not wash baby for a few days. Things were great!
infojunqie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:59 PM   #65
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i did not test for group b with dd's home births. #1 having water birth, #2 water doesnt break until baby comes out #3 not doing cervical exams.
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:52 PM   #66
InBloomDoula
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by prila84 View Post
Do they let you decline? after doing lots of research i've decided i want to decline if my results come back positive but our hospital won't allow us to decline (i have kaiser). Also from what I 've seen, midwives test for group B strep but usually do not administer antibiotics...
Midwives do what you consent to just like OBs and mine administered the antibiotics. I don't have personal experience with this but a friend of mine declined and her daughter was infected and is now blind as a result. She regrets it sorely. But please do you own research and make an informed choice.
InBloomDoula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:09 PM   #67
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeweese View Post
Sorry if this is a thread hijack- I've had Group B with both of my children and have it in my urine now at 16 weeks pregnant. I had antibiotics with both of my labors, both children were fine. However, since I have also had Cholestasis with both pregnancies, it would be nice to not have an added complication. Do any of you know if taking probiotics (how much/often) would help since Im already passing it?
I don't know about this personally, but my MW for DS told me that if you are colonized to the point of having it in your urine, it is VERY hard to get rid of.

I don't know how true that is. I just know that is what she said. She said it takes a lot longer, and more aggressive treatment (I'd imagine that means higher doses of probiotics, a more strict diet, etc) to get rid of it.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:40 PM   #68
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
I don't know about this personally, but my MW for DS told me that if you are colonized to the point of having it in your urine, it is VERY hard to get rid of.

I don't know how true that is. I just know that is what she said. She said it takes a lot longer, and more aggressive treatment (I'd imagine that means higher doses of probiotics, a more strict diet, etc) to get rid of it.
I had a UTI in my middle of my second pregnancy. My urine also tested positive for GBS. I was treated w/ antibiotics. I had a planned HB, took oral antibiotics in labor, I was given several choices by my HB midwife. Anyway I have had 8 more HB's since and have chosen not to test for GBS, but presume positive and have used natural remedies. Anyway, my bit of anecdotal.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:56 PM   #69
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatoabunch View Post
I had a UTI in my middle of my second pregnancy. My urine also tested positive for GBS. I was treated w/ antibiotics. I had a planned HB, took oral antibiotics in labor, I was given several choices by my HB midwife. Anyway I have had 8 more HB's since and have chosen not to test for GBS, but presume positive and have used natural remedies. Anyway, my bit of anecdotal.
Where I am, it isn't possible for homebirthing moms to get access to oral abx from a homebirth mw, and nearly impossible for a homebirthing mother to visit a regular ob or physician to get a script for abx for something pg related while planning a homebirth. So that info was all relative to treating gbs+ with only otc and home remedies.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:09 AM   #70
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

http://www.skepticalob.com/2011/05/w...with-soap.html