Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-26-2012, 06:08 AM   #11
greeneyedambe
Registered Users
Formerly: comfycozydiapers
seller

My Mood:
Please take the time to read these things. Fetal Doppler produces continuous sound waves whereas ultrasound is pulsed every so often to update the image/information. Fetal Doppler is non-ionizing RADIATION. I just don't feel comfortable with excess radiation (of any type) exposure that can be avoided. Oh yea and the electronic fetal monitoring they use at the hospital is continuous just like the Doppler. That could add up to be a lot of exposure for the little one. Ultimately it is your call. What do you feel comfortable with?

"My OB and MW says you shouldn't use a doppler every day, only maybe 2 or 3 times a week for a minute tops. A fetal doppler is constant sound waves. According to Henci Goer, who is a birth researcher 1 minute of doppler equals 30 minutes of ultrasound. Ultrasound is not constant sound waves, doppler is. Although the CDC and other government researchers have said ultrasound may be safe, they also say that it has not been studied throughouly to be concluded as not safe or safe. Many researchers argue that ultrasound and doppler use should only be used once in awhile for medical reasons. Researchers have now linked ultrasound to cell changes in the brain an IUGR (itrauterine growth restrict). My state has started to ban home dopplers and 3D and 4D ultrasounds unless they are medically needed, to see a cleft lip or something like that. Personally I use a fetoscope in my Midwifery studies. It has nothing being admitted to the fetus, and its the real heartbeat, not the swoosh swoosh of sound waves bouncing off. Fetoscopes are a lot cheaper aswell. Not to sound like a downer with my long post, but I'm very passionate about having safe pregnancies and healthy babies and I think everyone should be informed on the decisions that we make, and if there isn't enough research to prove something is safe or not, then probably shouldn't be doing it."
Above quote can be found here: http://babyandbump.momtastic.com/pre...home-safe.html

"Risks/Benefits
Ultrasound imaging has been used for over 20 years and has an excellent safety record. IT IS NON-IONIZING RADIATION, it does not have the same risks as x-rays or other types of ionizing radiation.
Even though there are no known risks of ultrasound imaging, it can produce effects on the body. When ultrasound enters the body, it heats the tissues slightly. In some cases, it can also produce small pockets of gas in body fluids or tissues (cavitation). The long-term effects of tissue heating and cavitation are not known.
Because of the particular concern for fetal exposures, national and international organizations have advocated prudent use of ultrasound imaging. Furthermore, the use of diagnostic ultrasound for non-medical purposes such as fetal keepsake videos has been discouraged."
Above quote can be found here: http://wiki.medpedia.com/Ultrasound_Imaging

Another link:
http://chriskresser.com/natural-chil...mmonly-thought

http://community.midwiferytoday.com/.../808/4071.aspx

http://health.consumercide.com/ultrasound01.html

Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 06:09 AM   #12
greeneyedambe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
They don't work by radiation I agree but they do expose you/baby/whoever to non-ionizing radiation.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:10 AM   #13
greeneyedambe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
They use them frequently for convenience. Edited to correct word reversal.

Last edited by greeneyedambe; 11-26-2012 at 06:17 AM.
greeneyedambe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:21 AM   #14
greeneyedambe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Many links here for review:
http://www.drmomma.org/2010/06/ultra...inard.html?m=1
Old 11-26-2012, 03:43 PM   #15
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Doppler advice

The FDA also has put out a statement of using home fetal dopplers. They do not agree with it.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:49 PM   #16
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have one and have for my last three pregnancies. I am a UC mama, my last 8 have been born UC. Most of my pregnancies I have not had an U/S or used a doppler. I had a miscarriage in 2007. I conceived 2 weeks after. I found the doppler reassuring, but still skipped the U/S. I then had SCH w/ my next pregnancy and found the doppler very reassuring.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:19 PM   #17
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

We have a doppler and it has been very nice for reassurance. But I am quite particular about it's usage; I only use it once a week or less and we don't generally start until the second trimester (that includes if I have an appt where the doctor uses a doppler, then I won't generally allow myself to use the home one that week). And once baby is kicking regularly, I don't use it at all.

I also only listen long enough to get the heartbeat and then turn it off.

but I'm routinely wary of things when pregnant.

that being said, we have the sonoline B and it works very well.

Last edited by EmilytheStrange; 11-26-2012 at 08:22 PM.
EmilytheStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:46 PM   #18
wireni
Registered Users

I have a friend who is a midwife, and one lady she looked after lost her child late in pregnancy. She had stopped feeling movements, but heard the heartbeat on her doppler so was "reassured" and did not go to see her midwife. Turns out baby was in a really bad state.
I'd say, if you need reassurance, seek it from your midwife!
wireni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:21 PM   #19
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatoabunch
I have one and have for my last three pregnancies. I am a UC mama, my last 8 have been born UC. Most of my pregnancies I have not had an U/S or used a doppler. I had a miscarriage in 2007. I conceived 2 weeks after. I found the doppler reassuring, but still skipped the U/S. I then had SCH w/ my next pregnancy and found the doppler very reassuring.
What is UC?

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:30 PM   #20
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
OP, I have read too many controversial things, personally (including that the FDA doesn't believe they are safe as others have noted). I think if the FDA is questioning them, they must be THAT bad. I also agree with PPs on following your gut and getting checked out if you're really concerned.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote