Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-27-2012, 08:25 AM   #1
TooBusyBearcubs
Registered Users
Formerly: K**ten
seller

My Mood:
Paragard???

OB is suggesting this. Anyone have experience? Pros? Cons?
Advice, please!

TIA, mamas!

Advertisement

TooBusyBearcubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:10 PM   #2
Mandrice
Registered Users
seller

Re: Paragard???

I got the paragard after my last baby and had some issues with it. First off, I am allergic to metal (leave anything on overnight, get a rash. Wear earrings for a couple hours? Get swollen and sore ear lobes). I thought it would be ok bc I hadn't had any reactions to copper. Little did I know that paragard was copper covered nickel and I started having bad reactions to it. I would get sick randomly with random fevers that would only last a day. I started breaking out with a rash that had no other explanations (no change in soap or anything). Was really moody. Finally I talked to a friend who told me she had had hers removed bc she was experiencing a lot of the same symptoms I was. I had mine removed not long after that. Yes some of the emotional issues were still there (adjusting to 3 kiddos is HARD), but the rash went away and I've been feeling tons better without it.
That being said, I know a lot of people who are happy with it. Good luck with your decision!!!

http://www.facebook.com/hookedbyamanda
Mandrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:35 PM   #3
TooBusyBearcubs
Registered Users
Formerly: K**ten
seller

My Mood:

Ohmygoodness. Mandice, I am SO GLAD you posted that, as I am also allergic to nickel! I decided against paragard not long after my original post, but you just totally confirmed that I did the right thing. Thank you for sharing!
TooBusyBearcubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:15 PM   #4
tinytushi
Registered Users
seller

The same thing happened to me except I also had horrible migraines. I went with mirena and had horrible side effects with that as well. After having it in for two years it decided to shift and jab into my uterus. It was the most pain I have ever had. I will never get any form of birth control like those two again
tinytushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:23 PM   #5
momof_3

Formerly: momof_2girls
seller
seller

My Mood:

The strings(more like wires) from mine poked my dh every time we dtd. I myself didn't have any issues but if my hubby is getting hurt there was no point and I got mine removed.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:05 PM   #6
joeslittlewoman
Registered Users
seller

I had it before kids, and it is the only non-barrier bc I would use. The only negatives I experienced: pretty bad cramping the rest of the day after insertion, period may have been half a day to a day longer (still just 4-5days total), strings poked hubby until they were trimmed. Then they coiled up around my cervix. It was so awesome compared to the hell that is hormonal bc, lol. Removal was a breeze.

Now hubby wants me to get another one since we think we are done with kids. Just researching to see if my c/s put me at any elevated risk of perforation, etc.

Eta: see that you decided against it. I imagine a metal allergy would be horrible. Ouchie!

Last edited by joeslittlewoman; 12-18-2012 at 01:07 PM.
joeslittlewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:49 PM   #7
Mandrice
Registered Users
seller

Glad you were able to make a decision! Regarding the strings, my doc left them long and said that they would curl up around my cervix but the entire time I had it in they never did and they poked/irritated ME. Didn't hear anything from hubby. So glad to be rid of that thing....

http://www.facebook.com/hookedbyamanda
Mandrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:41 AM   #8
Lousli
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was pretty happy with mine. My period was a little longer I think, and my cycle was possibly shorter (but now that I'm not using anything at all it seems that my normal cycles might just be shorter than they used to be.) I think my AF was a little heavier the first couple of days, but no cramping or anything.

I liked that I didn't have to deal with artificial hormones or barrier methods. I liked that I could still have a normal cycle and not have to worry about spotting or freaking out that I was pregnant (I was worried about Mirena and not having a period.) It was nice to have sex be spontaneous and not have to worry about my temperature or if we had enough condoms or whatever.

It was also great that it was not terribly expensive and didn't have to be renewed monthly like my pills did. I was planning to keep it in for a full 10 years because I thought we were done having kids, but I wanting something reversible because I had some thoughts about maybe having one more. I really liked that when we did decide to have another child, it was easy to have removed and I conceived quickly.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:59 AM   #9
JustSomeChickVee
Banned

I wouldn't get it. I know several women who have it become embedded in their uterus o.O
JustSomeChickVee is offline   Reply With Quote