Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-27-2012, 06:09 PM   #11
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: So frustrated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leyash View Post
Actually less than that now. He's only got about 22 weeks of it left. I think I am just going to buckle down and tell him that if he's not going to scoop it atleast every other day, that I am going to get rid of the cats.

Harsh, I suppose, but honestly... with a newborn in the house, I can't have that crap floating through the air. Especially because when sleeping in our room, we are only about 15 feet from it (in the closet). I am just not willing to deal with all of this by myself when the baby gets here. I don't even like cats. ;x
Harsh, but do you like your husband enough to care about his feelings about the cats?

Advertisement

raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:17 PM   #12
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymark

Harsh, but do you like your husband enough to care about his feelings about the cats?
Does he like her enough to clean up after his pets?
Old 11-27-2012, 06:18 PM   #13
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

I always hate it when people's reaction to any sort of conflict about pets is to get rid of them. It's not the animals fault. When I take in an animal its forever not until they inconvenience me, and I know not everyone feels the same way but I can't pretend that it doesn't upset me.

If you buy good quality cat litter dust isn't an issue. The only times I've had lots of dust was when I bought cheap, clay litter.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:36 PM   #14
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymark View Post
Honestly, he doesn't care for them much, either. In fact, none of us do. We were taking care of them for a family member, and then she pawned them off on us. Obviously if my husband were really attached to them, then he would make an effort to clean the litterbox. And no, his feelings would be completely disregarded if he didn't care enough about my health, or the health of our unborn child, to scoop the litterbox when it is absolutely necessary. Sorry.

This sounds like I am completely coldhearted. I'm not. The cats sleep in our bed, they have cat toys, they are petted and loved on. I'm just not emotionally (like, cry me a river) attached to them.

Last edited by leyash; 11-27-2012 at 06:39 PM.
leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:38 PM   #15
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by evasimone View Post
I always hate it when people's reaction to any sort of conflict about pets is to get rid of them. It's not the animals fault. When I take in an animal its forever not until they inconvenience me, and I know not everyone feels the same way but I can't pretend that it doesn't upset me.

If you buy good quality cat litter dust isn't an issue. The only times I've had lots of dust was when I bought cheap, clay litter.
We don't buy cheap litter. We get the tubs of Tidy Cat, that's $12 a tub. It takes two of them to fill our cat box (it's huge). And honestly, I'm not just going to throw them out the door, but changing the litterbox every single day is not something that I am willing to do. Risking my unborn child's health, for a cat? No thanks.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:48 PM   #16
newcdmommy29
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by leyash

We don't buy cheap litter. We get the tubs of Tidy Cat, that's $12 a tub. It takes two of them to fill our cat box (it's huge). And honestly, I'm not just going to throw them out the door, but changing the litterbox every single day is not something that I am willing to do. Risking my unborn child's health, for a cat? No thanks.
I think you are sounding like a great mama!! Keep that baby safe.
newcdmommy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:25 PM   #17
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by leyash View Post
Actually less than that now. He's only got about 22 weeks of it left. I think I am just going to buckle down and tell him that if he's not going to scoop it atleast every other day, that I am going to get rid of the cats.

Harsh, I suppose, but honestly... with a newborn in the house, I can't have that crap floating through the air. Especially because when sleeping in our room, we are only about 15 feet from it (in the closet). I am just not willing to deal with all of this by myself when the baby gets here. I don't even like cats. ;x
Your entire reason for getting rid of the cats was written in the last paragraph: the dust and not wanting to deal with the litterboxes when you are no longer pregnant. You and your baby aren't in danger from toxoplasmosis after the baby is born. You could negotiate with your husband or even have family members help out while you're prego (you yourself have said that you have never scooped the litter the entire pregnancy).

Only after I questioned your decision to threaten to get rid of the cats did you then start talking about the cats "endangering your unborn baby."

It just seems like you are jumping immediately to getting rid of them without any critical thinking about possible solutions except for getting rid of them. Number one toxoplasmosis is only excreted for several weeks after a cat is exposed, since your cats aren't eating raw meat, going outside or hunting they have pretty much a 0% chance of them being newly exposed and thus giving you toxoplasmosis. Number two you could have them easily tested to see if they carry it and then your worries would be solved.

I still don't advocate that a pregnant woman scoop the litter but I think people use it as a convenient excuse to get rid of animals that aren't convenient for them. I actually had a SIL get rid of two cats because you know, they would suffocate her newborn because cats are notoriously homicidal. Bottom line she could have kept them but she didn't want them anymore and her baby was an easy excuse. So they got dumped at a shelter, which was already overflowing with cats and they were most likely killed.

I won't allow my DH to get a dog because I don't really like them and they are more work than I am willing to do or we have time for. I have turned down family members and friends that have tried to give us dogs because I know they don't fit with our lifestyle and I dont view a pet as a disposable commodity. To each their own but I'd encourage you to at least consider some alternatives to dumping your cats in an already overburdened shelter
Old 11-27-2012, 07:39 PM   #18
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by evasimone View Post
Your entire reason for getting rid of the cats was written in the last paragraph: the dust and not wanting to deal with the litterboxes when you are no longer pregnant. (1)You and your baby aren't in danger from toxoplasmosis after the baby is born. (2)You could negotiate with your husband or even have family members help out while you're prego (you yourself have said that you have never scooped the litter the entire pregnancy).

Only after I questioned your decision to threaten to get rid of the cats did you then start talking about the cats (3) "endangering your unborn baby."

It just seems like you are jumping immediately to getting rid of them without any critical thinking about possible solutions except for getting rid of them. Number one toxoplasmosis is only excreted for several weeks after a cat is exposed, since your cats aren't eating raw meat, going outside or hunting they have pretty much a 0% chance of them being newly exposed and thus giving you toxoplasmosis. Number two you could have them easily tested to see if they carry it and then your worries would be solved.

I still don't advocate that a pregnant woman scoop the litter but I think people use it as a convenient excuse to get rid of animals that aren't convenient for them. I actually had a SIL get rid of two cats because you know, they would suffocate her newborn because cats are notoriously homicidal. Bottom line she could have kept them but she didn't want them anymore and her baby was an easy excuse. So they got dumped at a shelter, which was already overflowing with cats and they were most likely killed.

I won't allow my DH to get a dog because I don't really like them and they are more work than I am willing to do or we have time for. I have turned down family members and friends that have tried to give us dogs because I know they don't fit with our lifestyle and I dont view a pet as a disposable commodity. To each their own but I'd encourage you to at least consider some alternatives to dumping your cats in an already overburdened shelter
1 - So, exposing a newborn baby to cat crap dust is completely acceptable? And actually, you ARE still in danger of the illness, the only difference is, I wouldn't be pregnant, so it wouldn't cause birth defects. It can still cause illness. Look it up.

2 - The ONLY person I have to help me out is my dad right now - who won't be here in another two weeks (he's leaving). So, then what? Call my mom, who lives 30 minutes away, to come and scoop the cat box because my husband won't do it? No thanks.

3 - Did you not read my very first post? Quoted, "So now I am freaking out that it's going to hurt my baby... either the cat crap dust, or the bleach." So no, it wasn't something I sprung up when you mentioned it.

Not only that - did I say I was going to take them to a shelter? It costs money to take them to a shelter. So I am going to pay $75 EACH CAT for them to take them, and then possibly put them to sleep, or not find a home for them? No. I won't be doing that. I never said anything about a shelter.

I didn't make this thread to defend my reasonings for the decisions that I make in my life, and quite frankly, your judgmental attitude is not becoming. If you want the cats - by all means - take them. I am not taking care of animals that can endanger my health, or my unborn child's health, that I never agreed to take on permanently in the first place. If my husband refuses to take care of a responsibility that he chose, then what else am I supposed to do? Go out of my way? Why?
Old 11-27-2012, 07:53 PM   #19
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Obviously you are taking this way to heart. Do what you want with your cats, you get to live with it. I was posting alternate options, if you aren't interested that's your prerogative but that's the risk you take when you post a thread asking for people to respond to you. So sorry I don't agree with you.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:04 PM   #20
MommaLEB
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Scooping a litter box while pregnant can be done safely. Whether or not you choose to do it is up to you, but several people in this thread are making it out to be much more dangerous than it is.

MommaLEB is offline   Reply With Quote