Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-28-2012, 05:31 PM   #11
aries416
Registered Users
seller

My dd nursed until past 4. My son is 25 months and still nursing a lot. I tandem nursed them for about 2 years. It's not weird to me yet

Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 05:37 PM   #12
aldermother
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How long before breastfeeding becomes "weird" to you?

I think six. Nursing a six year old seems weird to me

I personally nursed both boys up until around 2 years (ds1 25 months, ds2 22months).
Please don't let other people's notions of what's weird skew your vision and ideals. Do what is right for you and your little one!
We're a CDing (potty-learned), co-sleeping (bunk beds), extended BFing (weaned), baby-wearing (big boy-wearing), non-circing, Waldorf loving, tree-hugging, hand-me-downs-welcome Earth friendly family!
PT preschool teacher& FT Mama to my beautiful tree & our little growing sapling

Last edited by aldermother; 11-28-2012 at 05:39 PM.
aldermother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:41 PM   #13
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:

My absolute minimum amount of time to nurse my babies is 12 months. The earliest I've ever had one wean at is 15 months. The longest I've ever nursed is 37 months. DD is 29 months and is still nursing 3 times per day and doesn't seem to have any intention to wean anytime soon.
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT

Last edited by 4boys1girlforme; 11-28-2012 at 05:42 PM.
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:43 PM   #14
moobiegirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I nursed my first till 2.5 when my milk dried up due to pregnancy. Then my second nursed till 20 months because my milk dried up due to pregnancy. My third is still nursing every night and morning, but my milk is going to dry up soon because I'm pregnant again. This is most likely our last baby and I will nurse until they self wean.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:55 PM   #15
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I would feel weird nursing until college age.

Seriously though only two people should have a say in how long you do or do not breastfeed. Mama and baby. Sometimes a doctor may have a say in a child not gaining properly but that is it.

I breasted my older two until 45-46? Months each. They were each close to four years old. I cannot remember exactly how many months it was now. I fully plan on letting ds2 wean when he is ready. If that is five years old than so be it. As aprevious poster mentioned by the time they are older they typically only nurse at nap or bedtime. And sometimes when they are hurting.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:59 PM   #16
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have nursed for 3 years with 2 of the kids and 2+ with another. DD1 was tandem nursing w/ DS1 when I got pregnant again and I felt like that would be a bit much for my body to handle. She is very bright and was understanding. I nursed DS1 until I had DD2 and our personal life was AWFUL and I lost 80lbs in 3mo. There was no way I could nurse the infant and DS. DD3 will be 2 next weekend and shows no signs of weaning even though I am pregnant and my milk dried up. I had no "weird" issues with them nursing at 3yo it was more that the logistics caused an issue. For us 2 years is a minimum. It is a very personal choice. You will follow your mama heart and do the right thing for your family.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:13 PM   #17
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For ME I think 2 would be the oldest I'd be comfortable with. I was unable to breastfeed DS1 (pumped) and I remember looking at him around 2.5 years old and thinking "no way could I comfortably nurse him right now". I've finallygotten DS2 EBFing and the thought of stopping breaks my heart though. I know DF would NOT be okay with nursing past 2, in fact I think past 1 would weird him out but he'll have to just deal with that.

My aunt? She thinks you should stop once babies get teeth. Whatever.

Now, I don't care how long someone else nurses their child. It may not be my cup of tea but all the power to you for your choice!

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:21 PM   #18
c&w's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I totally agree that people who make you feel weird for nursing "too long" should keep it to themselves I nursed dd until she self weened at 23 months- I wasn't ready to stop, but she was. I think its "weird" that people stop so soon! (not really! I think families have their own choices to make. I don't feel as thought I have to understand- its up to them)

Do what's right for you and your baby. don't listen to others.
c&w's mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:29 PM   #19
starfairy1980
Registered Users
seller
seller

4 and older. I have mixed feelings about not being able to bf my son. I pimped for 15 mo. I'm sure he'd still be night nursing and attached to my boob every chance he got. I'm really thankful he's not. Sleeping on my tummy is the only comfortable way for me to sleep. I do not want my 40+ lb toddler climbing on me to nurse all night. My hips would hurt so bad, I'd be at the Chiro every day, and could barely walk, prolly.
starfairy1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:32 PM   #20
leyash
Registered Users
seller

I am definitely not going to let what other people think influence my decision. I think once the kiddo started preschool (3/4 years old), it'd get weird for me, personally. Just because they aren't "babies" anymore... and I imagine them being more independent than needing to nurse. This is my own personal feelings, and definitely do not judge those that nurse longer. Who knows, maybe I will get past those "feelings" if I were to nurse longer this time... we'll see!
leyash is offline   Reply With Quote