Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-28-2012, 06:38 AM   #21
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Another relactating question

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelalynn View Post
If a baby is used to the nipples on a bottle, will it be difficult to get her to adjust to this? Shes really picky about her bottle nipples even. She now refuses the nipples they gave us from the NICU, and NUK nipples, and will only use the Avent ones!
I'll tell you my experience. DS1 would never latch after getting a bottle, but he was neverbreastfed at all before getting a bottle. I also don't think I tried hard enough.

DS2 was breastfed immediately after birth and the first day. He was then in the NICU for 3 weeks and only breastfed (and not that well) once a day on average. He had lots of troubles with bottles too though. I tried EBF him once he came home but it just didn't go well and mommy instinct kicked in and I continued to pump for him. I still attempted to nurse a few times a day (with a shield, he started itin the NICU). We finally found a bottle that worked really well, the breastflow. Also Tommee Tippee and Dr. Brown Preemie in a pinch.

Aout 2 weeks after starting the Breastflow bottles I attempted to nurse (with the shield) like usual. Not expecting much. But he latched right on and stayed on instead of pulling off constantly. And then the next time I tried, he did great again. He did so great that I decided to put the bottle down temp. and just nurse for a day. And he did! I saw an LC and found out he has a recessive chin which causes him not to get a tight shield without the shield. Its gotten better and he won't completely freak out at my bare breast but still won't latch on completely.

He's been EBF for 2 weeks now and it 12 weeks old. It's totally possible but not easy. If you really want this, you CAN do it!

Advertisement

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:11 AM   #22
jacandy
Registered Users
seller

I def think its worth giving it a shot! I'm not getting anything when pumping right now but I'm not giving up yet! I have headaches that started, sore boobs and I smell like a stack of pancakes so I know something has to be going on!

http://www.iheartfrugality.com
jacandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:50 AM   #23
oldmomma
Registered Users

I am so glad that you are trying this. If you want it, you can do it. I never had problems, thank goodness. I can't imagine how much work it takes. Maybe an LC could tweak your latch to help her stay on longer?
oldmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:22 PM   #24
jacandy
Registered Users
seller

Ugh first attempt with the sns was a failure

Old 11-28-2012, 04:06 PM   #25
angelalynn
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymom2b View Post
I'll tell you my experience. DS1 would never latch after getting a bottle, but he was neverbreastfed at all before getting a bottle. I also don't think I tried hard enough.

DS2 was breastfed immediately after birth and the first day. He was then in the NICU for 3 weeks and only breastfed (and not that well) once a day on average. He had lots of troubles with bottles too though. I tried EBF him once he came home but it just didn't go well and mommy instinct kicked in and I continued to pump for him. I still attempted to nurse a few times a day (with a shield, he started itin the NICU). We finally found a bottle that worked really well, the breastflow. Also Tommee Tippee and Dr. Brown Preemie in a pinch.

Aout 2 weeks after starting the Breastflow bottles I attempted to nurse (with the shield) like usual. Not expecting much. But he latched right on and stayed on instead of pulling off constantly. And then the next time I tried, he did great again. He did so great that I decided to put the bottle down temp. and just nurse for a day. And he did! I saw an LC and found out he has a recessive chin which causes him not to get a tight shield without the shield. Its gotten better and he won't completely freak out at my bare breast but still won't latch on completely.

He's been EBF for 2 weeks now and it 12 weeks old. It's totally possible but not easy. If you really want this, you CAN do it!
I'm just not sure if she'd ever latch. Shes so picky with her bottle nipples, and she was never ebf. Her first two months she was fed TPN via PICC line, and was tube fed part of her nutrition(breastmilk that I pumped). Then, when she was allowed to try to start eating, I tried putting her to breast for a few days. She didn't take to it, and the nurses said she may take to a bottle better. (At that point, the only thing we were waiting on to take her home was for her to eat on her own. And I just wanted her home with me, and figured if the bottle did it, that was ok with me!) So for about 2 weeks she took breastmilk bottles. Then she came home, and we continued doing breastmilk bottles for about 2 weeks, and she would also breastfeed. I never had enough for her to do a full feeding on the breast, but luckily I had milk stored from when she was NPO in the NICU. Once that was gone, we switched to formula. I continued to pump what I could up until about 2 months ago, but wasn't doing it regularly enough. So now I have almost nothing.

So, while she had a few months of breastmilk, she never really breastfed. I just don't know if she'd take to it after this long. I tried to put her to breast earlier today, and she acting like I was torturing her. I don't know if I should if its just going to stress her out... Plus, even at the height of my production when I was pumping 8 times a day, I only got about 2 ounces at most pump sessions. But now she eats 5 oz a bottle. I just wish things would have gone right from the beginning. I always wanted to breastfeed, and it hasn't happened. And doctors say I shouldn't have more children, so its not like I can do differently next time either.....Blah

I hope this was coherent.
angelalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:09 PM   #26
angelalynn
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacandy View Post
Sorry to hear that.
Would he not latch, or why not? I'm trying to figure out if a sns would help our situation.
angelalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:35 PM   #27
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacandy View Post
Don't give up! It took mea few tries to finally get it to work. I know they say not to, but I taped over my areola because that's the only way I could get the darn tube to stay in place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelalynn View Post
I'm just not sure if she'd ever latch. Shes so picky with her bottle nipples, and she was never ebf. Her first two months she was fed TPN via PICC line, and was tube fed part of her nutrition(breastmilk that I pumped). Then, when she was allowed to try to start eating, I tried putting her to breast for a few days. She didn't take to it, and the nurses said she may take to a bottle better. (At that point, the only thing we were waiting on to take her home was for her to eat on her own. And I just wanted her home with me, and figured if the bottle did it, that was ok with me!) So for about 2 weeks she took breastmilk bottles. Then she came home, and we continued doing breastmilk bottles for about 2 weeks, and she would also breastfeed. I never had enough for her to do a full feeding on the breast, but luckily I had milk stored from when she was NPO in the NICU. Once that was gone, we switched to formula. I continued to pump what I could up until about 2 months ago, but wasn't doing it regularly enough. So now I have almost nothing.

So, while she had a few months of breastmilk, she never really breastfed. I just don't know if she'd take to it after this long. I tried to put her to breast earlier today, and she acting like I was torturing her. I don't know if I should if its just going to stress her out... Plus, even at the height of my production when I was pumping 8 times a day, I only got about 2 ounces at most pump sessions. But now she eats 5 oz a bottle. I just wish things would have gone right from the beginning. I always wanted to breastfeed, and it hasn't happened. And doctors say I shouldn't have more children, so its not like I can do differently next time either.....Blah

I hope this was coherent.
Iunderstand That sounds similar to myexperience with our first son. He was never breastfed at all and I couldn't get him to latch no matter what I tried. I endedup pumping for8 months. If you don't want to try to relactate just for BFing you can always do it in order to pump, even though pumping isnt as efficient. Or you can look into donor milk if you'd like your LO to have breastmilk. Good luck!

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:14 PM   #28
jacandy
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the encouragent!
Sns attempt #2 was a fail and now he won't latch at all. Waaaaah!

Old 11-28-2012, 09:21 PM   #29
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

hang in there mamas. Look into kellymom.com back to the breast or something like that. There a whole area for relactating. If anything keep pumping bc any milk is better then no milk
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:39 PM   #30
HisFadedStar
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have lots of extra domperidone if anyone needs it! Good job mamas! I am still breastfeeding my 16 month old after a breast reduction and it is so worth it!!!