Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-29-2012, 08:59 AM   #21
sandhillcranes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Handwashing diapers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscuitFarmer View Post
Thank you for all the suggestions! I haven't tried a wet pail... I'm hesitant to. I've heard they're a breeding ground for bacteria, and I have a toddler running around and I don't have a place to put it that she can't get to. I'll soak them overnight in the vinegar. I can still boil the inserts, but I just remember that the biggest part of our inserts have snaps on them! I'll dawn those... that seems to work a bit. I just can't do that all the time.
Oops, saw this after i posted.
You can boil snaps. I have and it didnt affect them. I wouldnt do it for a long time but I have done it for 10mins. I used to be more paranoid about stuff from fsot

Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 09:24 AM   #22
BiscuitFarmer
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandhillcranes View Post
Oops, saw this after i posted.
You can boil snaps. I have and it didnt affect them. I wouldnt do it for a long time but I have done it for 10mins. I used to be more paranoid about stuff from fsot
Well since someone else suggests blue dawn, at least I have SOMETHING right. Okay, that makes me feel better. Thanks!
BiscuitFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:39 AM   #23
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscuitFarmer View Post
The problem is the microfiber inserts. And maybe the hemp inserts we have. That's where the ammonia smell is trapped.
I found that even in the washing machine the nightime BG Microfiber inserts would hold in the smell. What fixed that issue for me was doing a wet pail just for the nighttime inserts with a squirt of bac-out. For a wet pail i use a shoe box size storage container with snap on lid on the bathroom sink. We've been using this method for about 2 years. For nighttime we use one MF and one hemp insert, they both go in the WP and the cover in the wet bag with the wipes and daytime diapers.

We only needed it to hold 4 or so nighttime inserts before washtime so the small wet pail worked... if its the majority of your stash you might need something bigger (or just get an old bowl and try it with a few (marked) to see if it will help you).

Something to consider.

If you didn't have issues with the Ecos you might want to go back to what works.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool

Last edited by Pixi6s; 11-29-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:51 AM   #24
ktgrok
Registered Users
seller

MORE DETERGENT! Hot Hot water (maybe boil a bit on the stove to add to the water?) and more soap.
ktgrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:04 AM   #25
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

After the storm alot of blogs posted suggestions for handwashing: http://www.clothdiapergeek.com/2012/...h-diapers.html

Also, could you invest in one of those hand crank washers? For example: http://www.amazon.com/The-Laundry-Al.../dp/B002C8HR9A
http://www.mothering.com/community/t...and-spin-dryer
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool

Last edited by Pixi6s; 11-29-2012 at 10:10 AM.
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:25 AM   #26
Janet4
Registered Users
seller

You've had lots of suggestions, but I'll second the boiling. After my lo turned 1 yr, I battled ammonia big time. Did all kinds of things trying to get rid of it, including bleach (didn't help my hemp or microfiber). Boiling was my friend!! I've even brought a pot of water to a boil, turned it off, then added an aio. Let it soak for 10 min, then pull it out. They were unusable as they were, so I figured I didn't have anything to lose by trying it. Nothing was ruined. Once I found a detergent and washing routine that worked for me and started rinsing (every dipe), things got much better. I think I only boiled about 3xs in 2yrs. HTHs!! Also, as someone else said, you can stuff you pockets with ANY absorbent (preferably cotton) material, including old sheets or towels!
Janet4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:47 AM   #27
funnytummy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by flylady0505
Go to Home Depot and get a gallon of odo ban amazing stuff you can ad a bit to your wash or rinse safe for laundry and this should take care of your problem
OMG! DON'T use Odo Ban! I have a close friend who has had to evacuate her house and get it remediated because her mother cleaned everything with Odo Ban. Everything she has is ruined. After prolonged use, it will cause severe allergy sensitivities. She is trying to deal with the company to figure out which chemicals are causing the reaction, but they can't give her precise info...just that they have had a lot of people having the same issue. Eeek!!

Rant over.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:32 PM   #28
7arrows4God
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would not do wet pail, especially if you have any fleece type or pull type product, it just really saturates the product then and even harder to get the stink out. That is what ended my first cloth diapering attempt when my 1st children were really young. Your diapers would be soaking in pee water.

Dry pail has been best and I have been cloth diapering with no break now for 8 years and often 2 to 3 children in diapers and more at night. Also it is important that you pail be breathable, and that will help with amonia too. We use a walmart oval fip top garbabge can with a pull liner inside. There is a tiny air flow all around the lid top. Super help, I use to have a zipper closed thick pull type wet bag and it was terrible for smell.

And yes, if hand washing flats are great. And I really think quality flats as they also absorb lots of pee. So great for heavier wetters. I could not stay with my walmart birdeye towels as they just were not thick enough.
But quality unbleached flats are great, wash great and dry very quick.

And the breathable mobile washer really is not exspensive. And gives you that exta muscle you need.

I still stay away from from fleece as we always had trouble with smell and fleece.
Canadian mama to 13 blessings ds(18), ds(17), ds(15.5), ds(13.5), dd(11.75), ds(10), ds(8.5), ds(6.5), dd(5.5), dd(3.5), dd(2.5) , ds(15 months) and #13 due end of AUGUST. And yes that is while nursing night and day. :O)
7arrows4God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:34 PM   #29
Julie&Nathan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ditto on the flats for handwashing. Our family spends 4+ months in the Philippines every year without access to a washer. I used to wash them in a tub, and since have created a camp-style bucket washer & plunger for the agitation. Works like a charm, and I feel empowered. Flats are great for thorough cleaning, quick drying, and adapting (via various folds) to your growing baby. Best of luck!
Julie&Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:48 PM   #30
BuggaBuggaBoutique
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonipie View Post
Ya know lots of people have problems getting AIO and hemp clean in a washer so I don't think that hand washing is really going to be effective or sustainable. I would ditch the microfiber and stuff your pockets with flats and then go with small flats and covers for the newborn. Are you able to wash at the laundry mat? Flats, a good detergent and some bleach would be ideal in your situation. The ammonia is from bacteria so they are just not getting clean unfortunately.
:ita:

Momma to 4 girls and one boy! Smoke Free, Pet Free Home!
BuggaBuggaBoutique is offline   Reply With Quote