Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-28-2012, 12:18 PM   #1
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How to avoid wasting frozen milk?

When I built up my freezer stash I was EPing and honestly thinking I'd be doing so for several months to a year. Therefor I froze in 4-7oz portions since I figured I'd be needing to thaw 1-3 bags at a time depending on how many bottles wouldbe needed that day. Well now that he's EBF I've run into an issue. I'm trying to avoid bottles for another week or two so we get a full 4 weeks of EBF before reintroducing the bottle (but heard this may be a bad idea and waiting too long?). I have left him for a few hours at a time already and always leave a bottle just in case. Luckily I had a few bags with smaller portions but he never needed anyof the bottles. Our 3 year old accidently chugged one oft he bottles but other than that I've already thrown out 3 bottles of breastmilk. I do have plenty, maybe even too much, frozen, but I still don'twant to waste it for no good reason. Is there anyway to avoid this? Should I just tell whoever is watching DS where the frozen milk is so they can thaw if needed? Any quicker ways to thaw that take less than 15 minutes (4-7oz bag)? Any other suggestions?

Its just hard because LO doesn't have much of a schedule yet. On average he can go 2-3 hours between feeds but then there are days like today where he wants to eat every hour it seems. Is that normal for a 3 month old? (12 weeks)

Advertisement

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:43 PM   #2
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How to avoid wasting frozen milk?

I have my mom thaw on demand with warm water. It stays frozen til she's ready to use it. That way it doesn't get wasted. It is WAY too precious.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:47 PM   #3
Pampered Mama
Registered Users
Formerly: JASMommy
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yep- thaw on demand- just place it in a bowl, and run warm water on it- it thaws pretty quickly!

A growth spurt at this age is normal! Don't worry about it being too late to intro a bottle- there are other ways for them to get the milk- mine go from boob to sippy cup :-)

Pampered Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:49 PM   #4
Yellow Jewel
Registered Users
seller

I agree. My husband stays at home with my littles & he thaws as needed.
Yellow Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:04 PM   #5
c&w's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampered Mama View Post
Yep- thaw on demand- just place it in a bowl, and run warm water on it- it thaws pretty quickly!

A growth spurt at this age is normal! Don't worry about it being too late to intro a bottle- there are other ways for them to get the milk- mine go from boob to sippy cup :-)

absolutely! what everyone is saying. (and I only introduce the bottle at 3.5 ish months because I go back to work. maybe not fair to my kids, but I've gambled with the "you'll take it if you need it" theory-- I know MANY people that didn't work for-- I really do know babies who refused bottles for up to a week at daycare-- but we were lucky and both looked puzzled for a moment, then just took it)
c&w's mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:25 PM   #6
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

yep thaw on demand. If you can avoid a bottle i would until you need it. We went straight to a cup
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:34 PM   #7
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yeah, thaw on demand. And freeze 3oubce portions going forward

I'd try that bottle sooner than later i'mretraining my friends baby 15 weeks and it's a very very very very slow process. His refusal is intense. But I'm gonna break him with my shear patience!
Old 11-29-2012, 10:30 AM   #8
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981 View Post
Yeah, thaw on demand. And freeze 3oubce portions going forward

I'd try that bottle sooner than later i'mretraining my friends baby 15 weeks and it's a very very very very slow process. His refusal is intense. But I'm gonna break him with my shear patience!
DS2 preferred his bottle greatly before I got him back to the breast. He was primarily bottle fed Day 2 through 10 weeks. The first 2 days of EBF he had 1 or 2 bottles without issue but nothing since. He did have a super fussy hour or two a few nights ago and I was so desperate I attempted togive him a bottle but he refused. Looked sort of confused at first and then just angry. We use Breastflow bottles. I don't know if its because he simply wasn't hungry (refused breast too) or just didn't want the bottle. He's now 12 weeks. He gained just under 4oz in 8 days his first week of EBF and appears to be thriving still now. He's soaking his diapers, at least 1 dirty one per day, is very alert, sleeps well, etc. I'm just so scared if I give him a bottle now he'll suddenly refuse to BF again. Can I do anything to ensure that doesn't happen?

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote