Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-29-2012, 10:42 AM   #1
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
Starting Montessori?

I've been very interested in Montessori forquite a while now, and I've been reading more and more books about it. I'd love to try to institute most of it in my home. bu was wondering about how to 'catch up' my older kids, a 4 yo and a 2 yo. Does anyone hae experince with this? There are plenty of things that my kids wouldn't be behind in, but there are also things that you are supposed to start with a child when they're 15-18 mos old so they grow into it. I'm assuming that something that would take an 18-month old a year to master, I could show my 4 yo and she could learn in a few weeks. Is this accurate? Does anyone have any estimates on how much it costs to oufit your home with the necessary tools? Montessori seems to click so well with what we already do, teaching independence and having the children learn their own chores to the best of their ability. But.. instead of purchasing child-size kitchen utensils and tools, instead of using a small table and chairs for them, etc, we just make them do with regular grown-up size stuff. I'm also at the point where I'm ready to start using some of Montessori's sandpaper letters, tracing,reading stuff for the 4 yo. Any advice?

Advertisement

SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:18 PM   #2
CCorn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Starting Montessori?

Hahaha!! Nice to see you on DS! It's funny when I started to read your post I thought of you from JM. I have quite a few posts about Montessori if you want to search for posts by me.

As for some advice....I do have child size tables and chairs but for meals my kids sit at the big table with us but for snack they cam sit at their little table. What I fell is important rather it be adult size or child size, we need to make the child successful independently. Such as providing a stool to stand on to reach the sink or having a step ladder to reach the countertop when you are cooking or to reach the kitchen sink. I have space just for them in my pantry for snacks but they know how to get to the higher shelves by getting the step stool. I really think its about teaching them to be independent and providing them the tools and equipment to do so.

Do you have any albums yet? I am taking an online course by Karen Tyler (think that is her last name) she gives you like 12 different albums and provides support if you have questions about any of the lessons. I really wanted her science albums so I haven't looked at the other ones since I am certified through an AMS training center. But she might be a good place to start also get the ebook Montessori at home is super cheap and has some great info. I can help if you have more specific questions.