Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-24-2012, 05:29 PM   #1
MrzP427
Registered Users
seller

School Supply list

Is there anything specific you like to keep on hand?

Trying to buy ahead for my soon to be 2nd Grader.

On my list is a new printer and laminater anything else?

Advertisement

Join Me on Swagbucks its how I have made $1,148 and rising for My family.
MrzP427 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:15 PM   #2
hac1224
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: School Supply list

My current second grader and other 3 younger kids are addicted to drawing, so drawing paper, crayons, colored pencils, markers, etc. are always on top of my list here.

Pencils, erasers, and a good pencil sharpener (need to replace mine).

Globe and/or good US and world maps.

Probably more, but I can't think of it all right now.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:27 PM   #3
MrzP427
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hac1224
My current second grader and other 3 younger kids are addicted to drawing, so drawing paper, crayons, colored pencils, markers, etc. are always on top of my list here.

Pencils, erasers, and a good pencil sharpener (need to replace mine).

Globe and/or good US and world maps.

Probably more, but I can't think of it all right now.
Oh i hadnt even thought of a globe. Thanks I'll make note of it.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:01 PM   #4
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

What kind of curriculum will you be using? What kind of stuff do you already have? That would make a big difference.

I would make sure that the printer you get also does copies. It comes in very handy for homeschooling sometimes.

I second the globe idea, and also a small map of the US (or whatever country you're from) and a world map. Or you could do huge book of maps, because that's what we happened to find at a yardsale.

The basics...pencils, sissors, glue, crayons, markers, erasers, paper, colored pencils and a couple binders. A lot of that stuff you might not need...we never buy pencils because you can always get them free as promos here. And we stock up on the other basics at the back to school sale.

A dry erase board, markers, and eraser. Or you could go the chalkboard route, but you'd have chalkboard dust all over.

A lot of various craft items. We like crafts. We've got feathers, beads, paper bags, foam sheets, styrofoam balls....I could go on. I would think this category would vary a lot from house to house depending on what you like and what you think you will use. If you don't do many crafts you won't need much. And some people just buy as they go. Personally I like having the things on hand.

Honestly, you can do as little or as much as you like, and homeschooling can be as cheap or as expensive as you want. You don't have to have hardly anything. You don't have to have anything I've listed at all. They're just handy. And when in doubt...wait it out. I've got rid of lots of stuff I thought we just had to have and never used.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:38 PM   #5
MrzP427
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten
What kind of curriculum will you be using? What kind of stuff do you already have? That would make a big difference.

I would make sure that the printer you get also does copies. It comes in very handy for homeschooling sometimes.

I second the globe idea, and also a small map of the US (or whatever country you're from) and a world map. Or you could do huge book of maps, because that's what we happened to find at a yardsale.

The basics...pencils, sissors, glue, crayons, markers, erasers, paper, colored pencils and a couple binders. A lot of that stuff you might not need...we never buy pencils because you can always get them free as promos here. And we stock up on the other basics at the back to school sale.

A dry erase board, markers, and eraser. Or you could go the chalkboard route, but you'd have chalkboard dust all over.

A lot of various craft items. We like crafts. We've got feathers, beads, paper bags, foam sheets, styrofoam balls....I could go on. I would think this category would vary a lot from house to house depending on what you like and what you think you will use. If you don't do many crafts you won't need much. And some people just buy as they go. Personally I like having the things on hand.

Honestly, you can do as little or as much as you like, and homeschooling can be as cheap or as expensive as you want. You don't have to have hardly anything. You don't have to have anything I've listed at all. They're just handy. And when in doubt...wait it out. I've got rid of lots of stuff I thought we just had to have and never used.
We will be starting HS next school year. Right now my son is in a Public school he really likes but we will be moving after this year. I am not sure what exact curriculum we will be using as I am still deciding. I just know it will be "secular"? Not sure if thats right. I am trying to plan ahead so I wont be a complete failure.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:48 PM   #6
luvof3boyz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would really wait to buy school supplies because they will be expensive this time of year. Wait for the back to school time to get the best deals on basic supplies like paper, pencils, etc. Get the Rainbow Resource catalog!! While many of it is Christian they do have a lot of nonChristian things. You will get a homeschooling education from that catalog.

This was my first year home educating. The biggest mistake I made was buying curriculum. I spent about $800 on my 1st and 2nd grader. I am not using any of it besides the math and I even switched one of my son's math. Nothing was a good fit. I realized that I can give them an incredible education with a math curriculum, lots of paper, and a library card.

It is just like cloth diapering. Don't buy too much before you start because you may not like it. I would encourage you to go to a homeschool convention in the spring to actually look at things. Even if it is a Christian convention.
luvof3boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:39 AM   #7
MrzP427
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvof3boyz
I would really wait to buy school supplies because they will be expensive this time of year. Wait for the back to school time to get the best deals on basic supplies like paper, pencils, etc. Get the Rainbow Resource catalog!! While many of it is Christian they do have a lot of nonChristian things. You will get a homeschooling education from that catalog.

This was my first year home educating. The biggest mistake I made was buying curriculum. I spent about $800 on my 1st and 2nd grader. I am not using any of it besides the math and I even switched one of my son's math. Nothing was a good fit. I realized that I can give them an incredible education with a math curriculum, lots of paper, and a library card.

It is just like cloth diapering. Don't buy too much before you start because you may not like it. I would encourage you to go to a homeschool convention in the spring to actually look at things. Even if it is a Christian convention.
Thanks for that. I will definitely check one out. Im not opposed to teaching my kids a christian because I do believe in God and all of His Greatness. I just dont go to church and feel as though I dont know enough about the Bible to teach them. I feel I am not ready yet. This is not to get a lecture about how I should Go to church I am just giving my reason why I don't know if I could teach a Christian Curriculum

Old 11-30-2012, 06:42 AM   #8
luvof3boyz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My husband is an atheist so we don't do a Christian curriculum. It is harder to find secular curriculum but not impossible. I think that is why we mostly read real books. I would never lecture you to go to church.

I would also be very careful of complete curriculums. When I brought my children home from public school I found that they were ahead in some areas and grade level in others. A curriculum for just 2nd grade would have been bad for my son reading at a 5 th grade level. I would not have been able to use that part of the complete curriculum. It took me the first few weeks to place my kids where they should be in reading and math. Just because I had not homeschooled them from the beginning. It has been a hard journey. So much harder then I thought it would be. My kids are learningand exploring so much. They also have tons of time for play. In the end I know it is the best for my kids.:-)
luvof3boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:32 AM   #9
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We use the regular school supplies. Pencils, pens, crayons, markers, scissors, different types of paper, etc.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote