Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-28-2012, 03:04 PM   #1
jessica2229
Registered Users

My Mood:
Please help me with my 6 ( almost 7) yr old!

Can any one with a very active 6\7 yr old boy, tell me how your day goes?

Advertisement

*I sometimes use my phone and autocorrect doesn't like me!*
jessica2229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:40 PM   #2
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: Please help me with my 6 ( almost 7) yr old!

How about very active girls? My son is the calmest of the bunch. lol

We get up, eat breakfast, get dressed. Play for a little while, then sit and do some phonics or math. Take a break to do something else, and then do the other. Maybe throw some history in at some point, as well as some science.

We found that things went best on a routine, but not a schedule. Lots of breaks and hands-on activities. Schoolwork at that age took an hour, maybe an hour and a half total.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:42 PM   #3
HMinshall
Registered Users
seller

We only do 2-3 subjects at a time....then we throw around a football, wrestle, run on the treadmill or I tell him to run 3 laps around our house
and burn some energy.....and we NEVER do school late in the day, he is spent by then, and will fall apart emotionally.
HMinshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:01 PM   #4
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a six year old boy who is very active. Today, he listened to me read a Magic tree house book for about an hour and he played and ran the rest of the day. He played geo trax with his sister for the most part. We do about 45 minutes to an hour most days and play card games, or he does a game on the iPad. He loves the Bob books on the iPad. We usually do math too, but he has pink eye and so I didn't have him do any book work the last two days.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #5
*KaiMom*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Small sections of time with playing/snacks/errands inbetween. Also, nothing ever in the afternoons and always a reward at the end...tv time, video game, computer, book on tape etc.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:05 PM   #6
jessica2229
Registered Users

My Mood:
I guess I (and k12) are expecting way to much. Mostly K12, we are behind with them and I'm getting soo aggravated with it. :-( Any one change to regular homeschooling in the middle of the school year? How did that go?

*I sometimes use my phone and autocorrect doesn't like me!*
jessica2229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:35 PM   #7
luvof3boyz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have 3 very active boys and it would not be unusual to find one standing on their head while doing math. We have lots and lots of play time. At 6 and 7 it really does not need to be much formal learning. My boys learn so much through their play. Today we had the Civil War reenacted in our living room. Followed by ninjas when we were out for our walk in the woods. We also baked cookies and made a HUGE mess. How many times do I have to tell them "do NOT put the Kitchenaid on 10 speed after you have added flour". Then we read for an hour on the couch with cookies. We read the Bible, a picture book about Motzart, began the real Christmas Carol, read about the invention of the telegraph, learned about Abe Lincoln's naughty 2 sons that lived in the White House, and a few MathCount books.
Give lots of grace and remember they are kids and someday they will be gone and the house will be too quiet!
luvof3boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:34 AM   #8
momof3boysNC
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We usually eat breakfast, the 3 oldest boys fill in their calendars, then we do reading lessons, phonics worksheets and grammar(for 7 yr old). Then we take a break, play some music, legos, puzzles, read books, color, etc.

Then usually after lunch we do math, spelling, science and read more, play more until it's dinner time. =)

With my boys I've learned they need breaks to get out their energy and refuel(snacks). It makes for happier learners and a happier mom/teacher!
Due with monkey #6 in August
Custom made Crochet dolls!
momof3boysNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:35 PM   #9
247mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvof3boyz View Post
I have 3 very active boys and it would not be unusual to find one standing on their head while doing math. We have lots and lots of play time. At 6 and 7 it really does not need to be much formal learning. My boys learn so much through their play. Today we had the Civil War reenacted in our living room. Followed by ninjas when we were out for our walk in the woods. We also baked cookies and made a HUGE mess. How many times do I have to tell them "do NOT put the Kitchenaid on 10 speed after you have added flour". Then we read for an hour on the couch with cookies. We read the Bible, a picture book about Motzart, began the real Christmas Carol, read about the invention of the telegraph, learned about Abe Lincoln's naughty 2 sons that lived in the White House, and a few MathCount books.
Give lots of grace and remember they are kids and someday they will be gone and the house will be too quiet!
What you have said has REALLY helped me-- so glad I found this thread. My 5 yo boy is so active, he usually leaves my head spinning, I want to do things more like what you do- have FUN with him and enjoy our time together, it is so short!! Thank you!!
247mom is offline   Reply With Quote