Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-20-2011, 10:08 AM   #11
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Baby led Weaning - No Baby Foods or Puree's

9 mo DD has been doing BLW since 6 mo and she loves it! not to mention that we have never had to buy one single jar of baby food or puree a single carrot :grin:
We started by giving her big chunks of things (like a slice of sweet potato) but now she can handle smaller things like O's or peas. Basically we just put a little of whatever we're eating on the highchair tray and let her have at it. Meat, eggs, whatever. It's amazing what she will eat and she clearly knows when she (dis)likes something, wants more, or is finished. We went this way because 1, I am lazy 2, if she is a picky eater she will need to go live somewhere else (partly kidding), and 3, as DH put it, "she's been eating the most natural stuff in the world for 6 mos and you want me to shove this processed crap down her throat? Yuck!" (referring to rice cereal).
DD loooves to eat and is quite adventurous esp considering her age. BLW is also much more relaxed for the parents (there's no "she has to eat a jar of this and 1/2 jar of that" business). When we go out to eat we just give her bits off our plates.
It IS messier than spoon feeding, for sure. But it's so much fun!

Advertisement

DottieHarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:54 PM   #12
thtr4me
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We are doing a form of baby led solids. When he wants to try stuff, so we place a bite in his mouth (as long as it is appropriate for his age). We have also offered coconut yogurt and some baby food (his older brother's 'special treats' ). He really wants to eat and try things, but cannot quite grasp the concept of putting food into his own mouth yet, even though everything else he picks up manages to go in. So we offer him bites by spoon, fork, or by hand depending on what it is and how we are eating it. He usually gets to sample just about everything on my plate when we eat.
thtr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:14 AM   #13
christypjb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I only bought baby food for convenience, we were a military family and traveled alot so it was easier to feed healthy whole foods that way. But if we were home I always had a banana or avacado to mash up if what we were eating wasnt baby freindly. IMO baby foods arent necessary. Think about it for thousands of years there wasnt jarred or packaged baby foods and we are all still here, lol. Oats are good too with ground up flax seeds and maple syrup or a little banana mashed into them.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:51 AM   #14
marymoo
Registered Users
seller

love doing BLW with my DD - i know exactly what is going into her food and she learned how much to feed herself and not being forced fed

funny to hear her goo *mmmmmm* when she sees me get her plate down!

there's several websites to get ideas on how to get started, which foods are appropriate at what ages
marymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:43 AM   #15
mommaof3luv
Registered Users
seller

I could see doing this with things like bananas or soft table food for an older baby. However, I am not brave enough to try it with all the foods the gurus suggest for younger babies. I respect the moms that have tried it sucessfully though.
mommaof3luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:44 AM   #16
mommaof3luv
Registered Users
seller

This method is most likely closer to how some people fed their babies before the advent of commercial baby food.
mommaof3luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:57 PM   #17
hampden05
Registered Users

I hope to do this too. My DD is only 4 months but my 2 boys I didn't do this and they are the most picky eaters. It' awful. Not sure if it has anything to do with it but its worth a try.
hampden05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:19 AM   #18
sarahhudson
Registered Users

Our little guy started at about 4.5 months getting long sticks of whatever I was eating (not every day)... apples, avocados, cucumber, etc, and he mostly sucks on or gums them. He seems to really enjoy the process. I also give him a spoon to "play with", he seems to know what to do with the business end of it, although not very efficiently. I consider it all just play at this point, but I am enjoying not having to puree foods or buy purees...
sarahhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:25 AM   #19
MommaMal
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My LO is 13 months old and eats what we eat for dinner. She never ate baby food, we started out with just giving her pieces of our food. If she liked it she ate it if she didn't she at least was exposed to different foods and textures.
We started blw at 6 months but she didn't start actually eating until about 11 months an she is 36 pounds

"Don't compromise yourself. You are all you've got."-Janis Joplin
MommaMal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:47 AM   #20
slyeates
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My dd is mostly BLW. At 5 months old she grabbed a slice of avocado from my salad and crammed it in her mouth. She has been eating solids ever since. We only give her very thinly sliced or shredded meats though. Unless the food is soft enough to be mashed easily by a fork, we cut into small pieces. She is 11 months old now and her favorite foods are sweet potatoes, corn, beans, and lettuce. This girl could eat a whole head of lettuce if i would let her! She is still breast fed round the clock.