Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-14-2007, 11:04 AM   #1
zosiasmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Night weaning for a non-cosleeping family? Help please!!!

My DD is just over a year and still wakes up 2-4 times in the night to nurse. I have tried to ignore and sometimes she falls back asleep but then there are the times that she sits in her bed and just howl, but doesn't cry. I am now 5 weeks pregnant and want to work on weaning at night. Any suggestions? I have searched and read so much of the threads here, but most of them are for co-sleeping and that just doesn't work for us. So any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much, Danni

Advertisement

Want to know about making money with ChaCha? Ask me!
I made $350 last month!Hits4Pay Want some Moola?
zosiasmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 05:46 AM   #2
marciaorr
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Night weaning for a non-cosleeping family? Help please!!!

I am sorry to hear that you are still having to wake 2-4 times a night to bf. I have a few questions. Does she take good naps? Is she well rested? I am asking only bc we had night waking issues that were related to my dd not getting enough sleep. She was overtired and unable to sleep well at night due to that. (She is not a good napper so we had to work harder to imprive the nighttime sleeping.) We still nurse during the night occassionally when she is not feeling well so I am certainly no expert.

We did the "ignore it" routine with her to break her from night wakings around a year old. I would sit up on the couch for an hour or longer while she cried herself back to sleep. It was terribly hard but I did it anyway. It really only took about a week and then again every few weeks when we would get back from visiting family. I found that if she thought I was awake or nearby she would cry harder/longer. But I couldn't stay in bed while she was upset.

She now sleeps from about 7 pm to about 6 am whithout waking, usually. When she does wake and want nursed during the night it is because she is teething or sick.

I am sorry I cannot offer any helpful advise.
Good luck,
Marcia
mom to Caroline 03-15-06
marciaorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 07:20 AM   #3
katiek
Banned

My Mood:

night weaning can be tough. i weaned my daughter like 2 months ago, im 35 weeks prego. around 20 weeks bf at night was just taking a toll on me. she is 27 momths now. whenever i use to say no we have to wait yada yada she was SO upset and screamed. i knew it wasnt gonig to work. so i used hot sauce on my nipples. not alot just to alter it and make it less desirable. she never cried and just said i had to wash it in the mornign and would go to sleep she said they were too spicy" i put that they are spicey when sunshine goes night night but when sunshine wakes up they are all better. do some people might think what i did was wrong...but i couldnt bear to hear her cry while i wenaed her. it was too painful. through out the whole process she never ever cried. i offered her water, and shed go back to sleep now FINIALLY AT 27 MONTHS SHE SLEEPS THROUGH THE NIGHT!!!!
good luck!
oh i tried vinegar and lemon juice too....but i guess they made breastmilk okay cause it never bothered her!
katiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 07:38 AM   #4
yogimama
Registered Users

My oldest night weaned herself around 14 months (nursed until 28 months though) and my 2nd we night weaned at 18 months (she's still nursing for naps at 31 months). We sort of co-sleep - they start in their own beds at night and come over to snuggle whenever they wake - but for night weaning my husband would walk her until she went back to sleep. I couldn't just let her cry, but if I got her she would cry until we nursed, so he would walk her to sleep (or sometimes just until she was completely calmed down, then she could come into our bed without wanting to nurse). It only took about a week, and then she started just coming over to our bed to sleep when she woke. She still wakes occasionally at night if she has a cold, but otherwise she'll sleep the night through in her bed. Oh - neither of my kids would ever sleep in a crib, but we used toddler beds with them from about 14 months. I think it's nice for them to get the comfort of a parent - but if you're trying to substitute snuggling for nursing, it's a lot easier if it's dad!
yogimama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 07:51 AM   #5
zosiasmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciaorr View Post
I am sorry to hear that you are still having to wake 2-4 times a night to bf. I have a few questions. Does she take good naps? Is she well rested? I am asking only bc we had night waking issues that were related to my dd not getting enough sleep. She was overtired and unable to sleep well at night due to that. (She is not a good napper so we had to work harder to imprive the nighttime sleeping.) We still nurse during the night occassionally when she is not feeling well so I am certainly no expert.
She is a great sleeper in the day. She nurses to sleep and naps for about 1 1/2-2 hours twice a day. So she is getting plenty of sleep. Does that help? Danni

Want to know about making money with ChaCha? Ask me!
I made $350 last month!Hits4Pay Want some Moola?
zosiasmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 08:47 AM   #6
Manna00
Pinchin' pennies 'til they scream
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Sam night-weaned on his own just about 3 weeks ago and we co-sleep. We just made sure he was good and tired.. and keep to a nighttime routine (bath, book and nursing to sleep).

Good luck--and congrats!
Manna00 is offline   Reply With Quote