Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-29-2012, 09:30 AM   #11
BiscuitFarmer
Registered Users

Re: LOW milk supply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacieandtheboys View Post
My ds did not spit up either. MIT was silent reflux. Also I had to eliminate dairy and that worked wonders too!
Hm, well then I guess it's possible. I don't quite think she's intolerant to dairy, but I can't say I know for sure! My oldest daughter, Aurora, ended up on soy formula, but handles cow's milk just fine.

Advertisement

BiscuitFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:00 PM   #12
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

How is babys out put? This is the best indicator for getting enough.
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:10 PM   #13
neuro_mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Definitely look at baby's output like pp suggested. If you do need to increase supply, you can also add blessed thistle in addition to fenugreek. kellymom.com has some good info on dosages, etc. I tried reglan and it definitely boosted supply but my ob refused to prescribe it long-term because there aren't any long-term studies on the effects of reglan on nursing infants. I now get domperidone overseas to sustain my supply. There are some threads on here about reglan and domperidone if you end up needing to try one of those.

As for being intolerant of dairy, there are some signs - fussiness, colicky, after nursing. My lo would arch his back as if he were in pain. I had to eliminate dairy for several months.

Hang in there mama!
Old 12-02-2012, 10:17 PM   #14
BiscuitFarmer
Registered Users

She pees pretty well. I went to WIC and got a SNS, which I haven't actually used yet, because she's been doing pretty well. I've actually cut back, just a few nursing sessions, to one breast because she's satisfied. We're about halfway through our can of formula, and I'm still keeping up with offering both breasts first, and then falling back on formula if it's a last resort. I'm always drinking something, and am going to get a flat of water so I can keep some cold in the fridge. I'm taking Fenugreek still, and I made some lactation cookies. When I was at WIC, I asked to have her weigh, and she's NINE pounds!! So, she's absolutely gaining weight, and it took a huge weight off my shoulders. The breastfeeding consultant said it's probably a growth spurt, but I was hesitant to believe that since it's been like three weeks now. Seems a bit too long for that. But things seem to be going a bit better. I HATE having formula in the house, though, because I'm tempted to have SO get up with her at night. But I only want him to do that if he can give her expressed BM, which I still can't get enough just yet.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:44 PM   #15
Vegan Princess
Registered Users
seller

Yay! That's great weight gain! Doesn't sound like supply is the problem - more likely she is upset and in pain from something. Perhaps something in your diet is giving her gas? Dairy? My DD pulls off and cries when I've been eating dairy. Also, just and FYI, you can take upto 16 pills of fenugreek/day if you need - I saw a boost going from 12 to 16 - so you'd def see more. But I don't think you need to up your dose right now.

Cindy
Old 12-04-2012, 08:04 PM   #16
Wapondi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's great that she's gaining weight!

If you want to take something else to keep your supply up, try malungay supplements. I take a brand called Go Lacta. I buy it at my local birth center's shop but you can get it on Amazon too.
Wapondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:07 PM   #17
BiscuitFarmer
Registered Users

I might try to up my Fenugreek intake just so I can try to pump more. But dairy MIGHT be an issue. I mean, it's a big part of my diet. I'm just confused why it would take almost two months to arise if it is the problem. I'm worried she prefers a bottle, which she didn't get often at all.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:16 PM   #18
cdeweese
Registered Users
Formerly: New cloth lover
seller
seller

My Mood:

Then dont give her the bottle anymore. Was she gaining and peeing/pooping normally before you started supplementing? I thought DS wasn't getting enough, but he just wasn't getting hind milk because he nursed too frequently and would fall asleep during feedings. He would thrash at the beginning of each feeding, but had a good strong suck and audible swallowing.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:27 PM   #19
thtr4me
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

At 6-7 weeks, baby goes through a big growth spurt. They will nurse more often to stimulate more milk while dealing with the growth spurt. I have a feeling your supply is just fine, especially considering her output and weight gain. Sounds like she was just hitting that growth spurt. Keep up the good work mama!
Old 12-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #20
BiscuitFarmer
Registered Users

I'm trying to limit when she gets the bottle. Last night, I fed her all night with no problems!! (: A few people suggested it could be a growth spurt, but it's been going on for at LEAST two weeks now, and I just thought that was a little long.