Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-03-2012, 07:31 AM   #1
Shiara514
Registered Users
seller

Santa dilema

Do you tell your kids about Santa? If not, what do you do with them? I thought DH and I had decided not to do Santa, but he seems to be having second thoughts. I think he feels like she'll be missing out on something, but I don't see how the surprise gifts on Christmas morning are any less fun if from us...

Advertisement

Shiara514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:39 AM   #2
MeCo7707
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Santa dilema

Hmm, well I'm going to fill up the "stockings" so it will be a surprise...but they know it is from me...still exciting though. They know all the stories about Santa, and they know we have no problem with fantasy...but would rather they be thankful to the actual giver of a present then an fictional giver of presents
Old 12-03-2012, 07:47 AM   #3
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
We do Santa here but I wish we didn't. It's such a hassle to hide things and 'try' not to slip up and spill the beans. I really don't think your daughter will 'miss' out. The only 'problem' I can think of is if she starts tellin other kids that Santa isn't real. KWIM?
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:56 AM   #4
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

I love Santa! I had fun keeping the magic alive when she was young.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:26 AM   #5
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I didn't want to do Santa at first... I didn't like that he got all the credit, and the story about a guy breaking in to your house while you're sleeping? Weird. But last year I got caught up in the spirit and DD was SO excited about the idea that I gave in. This year, its all about Santa and seeing the excitement and wonder in their eyes makes me happy.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:26 AM   #6
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we dont celebrate xmas. we did the first couple years after ds1 was born and it was decided that we would not do santa. we would just give gifts and DS1 would know it came from us. the kids do know what other families do and not to tell other kids that santa isnt real.
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:42 AM   #7
Done at 3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I love Christmas and Santa but I tell DS1 -6 that not everyone believes in Santa and its up to him to decide if he does or not. He decided that he does. It's all in good fun and eventually he will know it was all from us, but I am glad my parents did that for me and hope some day he will feel the same appreciation for the selflessness. We do also really stress it's not about the gifts and try to get them focused on what they can do for others and we talk about how some kids aren't as lucky and it's important to think of them and try to brighten others christmas' too.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:24 AM   #8
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

we don't do santa and my kids have never felt like they missed out on anything. Santa doesn't bring presents, but they know what he is- a character, just like how my 2 yr old is enamored with nutcrackers, lol. Anyway, the kids still get presents and stockings and we do all kinds of Christmas activities, just not "some old man has you sit on his lap and then he watches you at night and brings you gifts if you're good" and we don't shelf-elf either.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:27 AM   #9
momtojande
Registered Users
Formerly: JonsMommy

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiara514 View Post
Do you tell your kids about Santa? If not, what do you do with them? I thought DH and I had decided not to do Santa, but he seems to be having second thoughts. I think he feels like she'll be missing out on something, but I don't see how the surprise gifts on Christmas morning are any less fun if from us...
My parents never did Santa, and I didn't feel left out of anything. Christmas was always awesome.

Is anyone ever let down because their birthday presents come from their parents instead of some weird old guy who sneaks into the house?

Childhood has plenty of magic and pretend. Skipping Santa doesn't cancel all that.
momtojande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:45 AM   #10
momof_3

Formerly: momof_2girls
seller
seller

My Mood:
We told our girls that santa was just fantasy and they could enjoy the stories if they wanted to. But he isn't real, just another character like on her cartoons or in her books. We still do all the other Christmas activites. This year now that my 6yr old dd is in school she chooses to enjoy the story and fantasy.