Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-03-2012, 05:58 AM   #1
greencrunchymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Help me out, mamas!

So I have been using fitteds and wool exclusively for months now. We figured out my DD needs a stay dry liner or she gets rashy. So I started getting annoyed that now I was dealing with 3 pieces during diapering: fitted, liner, and then woolie. My thinking was if I had to do all that, I may as well just do pockets and have the one step system during changing. So now I'm looking for pockets to have on hand for while traveling and changes on the go.

Am I being silly? Should I just suck it up and use my fitteds and wool? It's more work to change her on a changing table in public and I figured pockets would be easier. Also, when traveling to visit family I want to take one system and it seems easier to have her in pockets for quick changes and because she doesn't get changed as often as when she's at home (probably 1.5-2 hours versus every hour at home).

I hate the idea of PUL not allowing her skin to breathe like the wool does. And I feel like I really don't want to invest more money in diapers. But I also want to buy more. Sigh.

What do you think?

Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 06:23 AM   #2
junebug2311
Registered Users
seller
seller

What if you were to pre set up everything before you go out? Lay the liner in the fitted so its ready to go when you need it. It's not like it would be an added step in comparison to pockets - which you'd have to stuff. And then you'd have to put regular pants on over the pocket, so essentially the wool pants aren't another step, either.

I wouldn't make the switch, personally. Natural fibers make me feel better.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:38 AM   #3
FriedaT
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug2311
What if you were to pre set up everything before you go out? Lay the liner in the fitted so its ready to go when you need it. It's not like it would be an added step in comparison to pockets - which you'd have to stuff. And then you'd have to put regular pants on over the pocket, so essentially the wool pants aren't another step, either.

I wouldn't make the switch, personally. Natural fibers make me feel better.

We add a doubler to our fitteds and that's what we do. I lay the doubler in, fold it up, and stick it in the diaper bag so it's ready to go.

Like pp said, it's not more steps than pockets since you have to stuff, put on diaper, put on pants. With yours, it's lay liner, put on diaper, put on wool. I would think your way is faster than a pocket since you're just laying the liner on top instead of stuffing.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:40 AM   #4
jessreichenbach
**DO NOT B/S/T WITH THIS USER***

My Mood:
Re: Help me out, mamas!

could you possible sew some micro fleece to the soaker pads of your fitteds? Fleece is super easy to sew because it doesn't fray, so you could trace the soaker shape, cut it and sew it on, then later alway take a seam ripper and take them off if you needed? I think thats what I would do.. I'm a huge Fitted and wool fan as well, I don't like pockets as much.. I think they're to much work, finding inserts folding and stuffing etc.
Trainers
Diaper making Business liquidation
jessreichenbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:25 AM   #5
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessreichenbach View Post
could you possible sew some micro fleece to the soaker pads of your fitteds? Fleece is super easy to sew because it doesn't fray, so you could trace the soaker shape, cut it and sew it on, then later alway take a seam ripper and take them off if you needed? I think thats what I would do.. I'm a huge Fitted and wool fan as well, I don't like pockets as much.. I think they're to much work, finding inserts folding and stuffing etc.
When I realized my DS needed the stay-dry, I sewed him a bunch of pocket fitteds w/stay-dry inners so he could have breathable covers and stay-dry against his skin. I felt like the stay-dry liner was such a hassle since I was doing it every diaper change and it would shift around a lot as he moved during the day.

I love the suggestion of sewing stay-dry to the top of the soaker pads. Personally I would choose athletic wicking fabric, it doesn't require pressure to wick, but I know it works for my son and I've tried it as well as microfleece and suedecloth (both of which also work).

ETA -- I forgot: the OTHER thing I'd consider, even though you said you didn't want to spend any more $$, is that if you can't do the sewing then buy yourself a mini-stash of childcare provider/daddy/out-and-about diapers. Maybe a breathable fleece Ai2 system where the inserts are topped with stay-dry fabric (Bugga Bugga Boutique and Little Boppers both offer these). Fleece breathes almost as well as wool, though it's not a natural fiber and little one's get sweatier in fleece than in wool during summer. I have a mini-stash of breathable fleece Preston's Pants pockets with stay-dry inners, and these are what most everyone else uses when they diaper my son. It has greatly simplified the process since no one has to remember to use a cover (or to put it on the right way -- DH has put the Imse Vimse wrap on inside out cause the tag is on the outside LOL).

Last edited by boysniris; 12-03-2012 at 08:28 AM.
boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:34 AM   #6
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The other nice thing about Ai2's is that you should be able to use the disposable biopads (or whatever those g-diaper flushable inserts are called) so if you want to really take a break you would still be able to use the breathable outers but throw out the dirty part.

boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote