Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 12-03-2012, 12:11 PM   #11
Spring Into a New Avi 2015 Winner
Re: Santa dilema

No we don't. I had Santa as a kid & DH didn't. We tell her we get her presents but she doesn't know what they are so it's still fun and exciting . She's 2 so we've told her Santa is a Christmas guy that's on a lot of decorations and he's really cool, etc. but the gifts come from us. And then there is the Christian part of it that we tell her.

Hilary, head over heels wifey of a Coastie
Mama of Aubrey & Delaney
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:02 PM   #12
Registered Users

Neither DH nor I grew up in Santa believing households - as in the presents under the Christmas tree were from Santa. We knew the whole Santa stories just never believed it was real. Santa was just another symbol of Christmas.

We never made a conscious decision to "not do Santa," we just haven't done it. My oldest is now 5yo, and Christmas is still such a wonderful, exciting time. The Christmas decorations, the visitors, the gifts, the charitable things we do, the songs, etc.
cbreeding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:13 PM   #13
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
My Mood:

LOVE LOVE LOVE Santa! We do one gift and stocking from Santa but we do all the trappings, leaving cookies, pics at the mall, books. DH and I both love it all!
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:55 PM   #14
Registered Users

I bought my kids a book about the story of St. Nicolas and explained that Santa Claus is based off of him. I'm trying to find ways that our family can "be Santa" for other people in need and giving service. My kids still get surprised by their gifts, they but they know that mom and dad bring them. We also don't do the elf of the shelf. I just feel really funny telling my kids they are supposed to be good because Santa is watching and if they aren't, they won't get presents. I mean, there are legitimate reasons for making good choices that I'd rather emphasize.

Also, while Santa is fun and we sing the songs and watch the movies, I feel like the more attention we give Santa, the less we focus on the birth of Christ. Santa is good and fun and all, but I'd rather focus on something better.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:07 PM   #15
formerly R***and**********
We don't do Santa and my kids don't feel like they're missing out on anything. Actually this year we talked in depth about why people "play" Santa (st nick, such a great man, helped people so much they wanted to keep his generosity alive , turned into the thing we have now) and we went over the details of what exactly people pretend. Ds totally got the reason for wanting to remember st nick, but when we got to the part about parents telling their kids Santa is real, buying gifts and saying they are from Santa, etc, ds said "that's a weird thing to do"

Personally I think there are so many fun things to do at Christmas time, and you can make whatever traditions you want for your own family, that as long as you are happy, your kid will be too. Whether that's Santa or no Santa.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:12 PM   #16
Registered Users
My Mood:

Originally Posted by MeCo7707 View Post
Hmm, well I'm going to fill up the "stockings" so it will be a surprise...but they know it is from me...still exciting though. They know all the stories about Santa, and they know we have no problem with fantasy...but would rather they be thankful to the actual giver of a present then an fictional giver of presents

Originally Posted by TinaDeanette View Post
We do Santa here but I wish we didn't. It's such a hassle to hide things and 'try' not to slip up and spill the beans. I really don't think your daughter will 'miss' out. The only 'problem' I can think of is if she starts tellin other kids that Santa isn't real. KWIM?
my 6 year old has to be reminded not to tell people santa is pretend all. the. time.
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:19 PM   #17
Registered Users
My Mood:

We don't do Santa. The kids know who he is, but they don't think he is a real person who brings toys to them while they're sleeping. They still get a toy and filled stockings on Christmas morning. They always seemed suprised and super happy.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:19 PM   #18
Registered Users
Formerly: New cloth lover
My Mood:

My DH's mom told him Santa wasn't real when he was 5 and he said he wished she had let him "believe" a little longer. I LOVED Santa as a kid and wasn't weirded out by anyone trying to be generous and reward me for my good behavior. It taught me a lot about being generous to those outside of my family. My kids were SO excited to see Santa this year I don't know that kids "miss out" by not doing Santa (along the lines of not missing something you never had), but our family REALLY enjoys it.
Cindy wife to B Mommy to C 3/10 S 3/11 K 4/13 due 10/15
cdeweese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:00 PM   #19
Registered Users

My parents always told me when I would ask if Santa is real, "Santa is a feeling, its like the spirit of giving at Christmas time, the little miracles that happen." It was vague enough that I was allowed to believe as long as I wanted. Santa was never used as a tool to get us to behave. I still believe in Santa.
Mae- Mama to Gustavo 10/07, Joey 12/10 and Henry 5/13
“No matter how big the lie; repeat it often enough and the masses will regard it as the truth.” ― John F. Kennedy
gingerpeachee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:11 PM   #20
Registered Users

Santa Revisited - is a great book on creating different ideas about Santa and making it possible for kids to still participate in the Santa story without believing in Santa as a real person.
Pam - in love with BFDH & mama to Isobel 11/5/09!
Riverleaf1772 is offline   Reply With Quote