Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-04-2012, 07:15 AM   #1
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Santa Believers...

What do you say when your lo runs across their first non-believer? Just curious. DD said this morning "Did you know that J (boy in her class) didn't think Santa was real?" . I just told her people believe all kinds of different things, that its ok and no big deal if he didn't believe Santa was real. I compared it to favorite colors and told her its just one of the many ways people are different. Then i asked her if she believes Santa is real- She very excitedly said yes like I was insane for even asking her that question.

No Santa debates please.

Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 10:40 AM   #2
irishdancemomma
Registered Users

I would have said exactly the same thing. DS isn't old enough to even know what's going on at this point, but we plan on taking a very relaxed "What do you think?" approach to the Santa thing. If he wants to play along that's great, if he figures out its a game early on that is fine with us too.
irishdancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:24 AM   #3
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Re: Santa Believers...

It would depend on the situation. Someone who doesn't believe because their family celebrates a different holiday instead is going to be different than someone making fun because the child still believes. The former is going to get an explaining that leans more towards different people celebrating different holidays and Santa knowing the difference. The latter is going to lean heavily towards bullies not knowing what they are talking about followed by a story or two about "Christmas magic." And the individual situation would dictate the exact answer, inline with how old the child is as well.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:25 AM   #4
Gerdgrid
Formerly K****i
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishdancemomma View Post
I would have said exactly the same thing. DS isn't old enough to even know what's going on at this point, but we plan on taking a very relaxed "What do you think?" approach to the Santa thing. If he wants to play along that's great, if he figures out its a game early on that is fine with us too.
We don't encourage (or discourage) Santa. We leave it entirely up to DS. Whenever he asks about it we also answer with "Well, what do *you* think?"
Gerdgrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:49 AM   #5
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Like so many things, I have basically done a "What do you think..." approach and see where it goes.

When my DD was in grade 3, she had a classmate who announced to the entire class that "Your parents are Santa, there is no Santa!" DD came home and told me, and my initial reaction was sadness (as in, "Oh, I guess it's over...") but I asked her, "Well, what do you think about what Boy said?" and she replied, "Well, I just told him that is impossible. My parents don't have any reindeer."
Old 12-04-2012, 12:14 PM   #6
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
It would depend on the situation. Someone who doesn't believe because their family celebrates a different holiday instead is going to be different than someone making fun because the child still believes. The former is going to get an explaining that leans more towards different people celebrating different holidays and Santa knowing the difference. The latter is going to lean heavily towards bullies not knowing what they are talking about followed by a story or two about "Christmas magic." And the individual situation would dictate the exact answer, inline with how old the child is as well.
This boy its for religious reasons. They are Christians focused on Christ rather than gift giving and Santa. In the back of my mind I expected it, but forgot until dd mentioned it. I am a little worried that the boy might get picked on by some of his classmates, but that is not my problem. I have made sure my dd won't pick on him.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:44 PM   #7
eliz7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My mom always said Santa is for those who believe. I have said it to my kids and my 11 and 9 year olds both still believe
Happy to be again after a bit of a break
eliz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:56 PM   #8
LittleThingsMama638
Registered Users
seller

I told DS that different people have different beliefs. We beleive in Santa but others may not. I do a lot of "what do you think" too.
LittleThingsMama638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:21 PM   #9
MyPerfectLife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckmumto3 View Post
Like so many things, I have basically done a "What do you think..." approach and see where it goes.

When my DD was in grade 3, she had a classmate who announced to the entire class that "Your parents are Santa, there is no Santa!" DD came home and told me, and my initial reaction was sadness (as in, "Oh, I guess it's over...") but I asked her, "Well, what do you think about what Boy said?" and she replied, "Well, I just told him that is impossible. My parents don't have any reindeer."
That's just awesome!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DS Forum
Abby, SAHM mom to Maddy (10), Benny (7), Annie (3.5),and Joshy (1). Wife to my traveling hub for 11 years! Almost FT student (2nd time around). My life is not perfect, but I keep telling myself if I say it enough I will believe it!
MyPerfectLife is offline   Reply With Quote