Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-03-2012, 05:19 PM   #1
mamamarisa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
potty training and diaper frustrations..

Everyone keeps telling me ds needs to be potty trained, ive been trying but he just doesnt seem to know when he has to go, and lately hes been throwing huge fits when i simply ask him to try. Im not really in a hurry but im sick of listening to people telling me he is too old for diapers(he will be 2.5 in january). His babysitter uses sposies on him, i usually use cloth, but ive been thinking about throwing in the towel(but its really hard bc i hate sposies). I use cloth bc it isnt stay dry and i dont like all the trash from sposies. Weve been having stink issues with cloth and my 50ish dipes are rarely used anyways, he uses about 8 a day but half are sposie. I want to have some though for when/if we get pregnant again. Should i just sell off my stash? It would save space but id hate to rebuy everything if i decide i miss it all. And honestly i think ds will be a late PLer as he has no interest and i dont want to push it. and i tend to only use simple to wash dipes(ie pfs, fitteds)others use his pockets/aios

Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 05:39 PM   #2
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

Re: potty training and diaper frustrations..

My son was throwing fits at that age too, when I asked him to try, yet he was completely capable. He's been capable for an extremely long time, I just didn't stick with a program.

Since 2-2 3/4 is a tough tough age to potty train, here's what we're doing:

-- Using pull-up trainers so he can practice the routine. We call them "underpants" and we did a "no more diapers, throw all the diapers away" routine.

-- Daycare puts him on the potty every 45 minutes with the other kids.

-- At home we say it's time to go potty when we get up in the morning, every 45 minutes or so when we're home, and at other key points (arriving home, getting ready for bed).

-- If he says no I don't fight him.

-- If he will sit on the potty, he gets a gummy bear just for sitting on the potty.

-- If he goes, he gets a ton of praise and 2 gummy bears.

It's been gradual but he is slowly getting into the routine. We just had to pick something and stick with it ... inconsistency on our part is what messed him up and made him angry. Now we haven't had a fight about sitting on the potty in weeks (he's 2.5 2 weeks ago).

As for your diapers ... I'd wash them extremely well in unscented detergent (big soak in washing soda, maybe even RLR, wash them till there's no stink when you open the dryer halfway through the cycle, and then wash them 2 more times) and put them on FSOT, and get trainers (I highly recommend Tinkle Time Trainers for performance and value, having tried a ton of others).

I had stinky Grovias and did some super-washing with Country Save, washing soda, and rinses with vinegar, and the person who bought them tells me they were amazingly clean and fresh when she got them.

I know I kept saying "he's not ready" but it was really me who wasn't ready to stay on top of it, and work with him in a way that got past him having a complete fit when it was time for the potty. PLing is hard on mama, but I think my son was having fits because he didn't understand why the rules kept changing (yesterday diapers was OK, today you want me to use the potty, and when I throw a fit you quit asking me to use the potty, but then you ask me again ...). But I also never force him when he refuses, I just keep trying on 45 minute schedules, praise for progress, and keep at it.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:59 PM   #3
mamamarisa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

see, we were doing ec, so we have been trying for a long, long time, and he can go pee when i tell him to go at just the right time but honestly doesnt recognize when he has to go(sometimes he will pee on the potty and not even notice he peed). He gets tattoos when he goes and when i do get him to try(with the tattoo incentive) he cant go and gets mad and refuses to try the rest of the day. Weve tried a few days in underwear and all that happened was he would sit for a good 20 mins then get up and pee his underwear. We sit him on the potty every hour(have a kitchen timer set after every try). Ive tried many trainers but find that diapers fit better and work just the same as trainers would since ds can take off his diapers anyways. How good is your ds getting at going? Does he go 50% of the time?
Old 12-03-2012, 08:16 PM   #4
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

Oh so you are doing a lot of potty learning! That's fantastic! I don't know what people are bugging you about, then. It's a process and I understand this specific age is really tough.

This week, he's going more often than not. That wasn't the case up until now. And we did go through that period when he'd get really frustrated because he couldn't go when he was on the potty, and when he didn't want to go yet but he couldn't hold it any longer.

Right now, the only time we're super successful is when he's naked. For some reason he won't pee on the floor (he'll decide it's time to go), but otherwise he will go without really noticing (even in underpants when it goes down his leg).

If diapers work better for you then stick with them!
Old 12-03-2012, 10:38 PM   #5
fish3737
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DS and my DNephew I tried until I was blue in the face to potty train them. They are only a couple months apart and did everything together (I was the caregiver for my nephew). Like seriously everything - naked time, rewards . . . Then one day a little after 3 years old DS just woke up and literally started peeing and pooping in the toilet. A week later his cousin did the same. They NEVER had accidents after their awakening.

So with DD I planned to just wait it out. But a little after 2 she just started asking and using the potty. I couldn't believe it. But - she had accidents like fairly consistently for like six months.

So my DD2 is 2 1/2 and I'm just waiting it out. Yes - people are asking when she is potty training. But honestly I don't care. LOL

Yes - all kids are different. I just think of all the time I spent bribing kids to urinate makes me crazy just thinking about it even now.

Last edited by fish3737; 12-03-2012 at 10:39 PM.
fish3737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:02 PM   #6
organicmama10
Registered Users
seller
seller

At his own will, my son decided to go #2 in the potty since Jan (he was 17mos old). We've tried in the past to have him sit on the potty with diapers on but he refused and one day, he took an interest and we've never looked back! We are struggling somewhat with him peeing in the potty but we've not pushed the issue either. He knows when he needs to go...if he's half naked, he'll go on his own (I've seen him run to the potty in the middle of play). We've had a handful of accidents but those are rare. However, if he's wearing diapers or trainers, he will pee with them on and not say anything even if he's wet! We don't offer rewards for going other than lots of praises and high fives! He loves it and praises himself whenever he goes on the potty on his own. Adorable, I know! Daycare offers the potty every hour or so when he's there.

I'd say just keep trying. I truly believe that they'll get there and you can't push them too much. One of the kids at daycare rebelled and flat refused to go on the potty and they've been struggling for over a year! My mum has been pushy for quite some time with PL as well...since birth tbh but I've brushed her off because he just wasn't ready!

It sounds like you're doing everything I would do so if I were you, I'd continue with the routine and just wait. Good luck!
organicmama10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:44 PM   #7
mamamarisa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by organicmama10 View Post
At his own will, my son decided to go #2 in the potty since Jan (he was 17mos old). We've tried in the past to have him sit on the potty with diapers on but he refused and one day, he took an interest and we've never looked back! We are struggling somewhat with him peeing in the potty but we've not pushed the issue either. He knows when he needs to go...if he's half naked, he'll go on his own (I've seen him run to the potty in the middle of play). We've had a handful of accidents but those are rare. However, if he's wearing diapers or trainers, he will pee with them on and not say anything even if he's wet! We don't offer rewards for going other than lots of praises and high fives! He loves it and praises himself whenever he goes on the potty on his own. Adorable, I know! Daycare offers the potty every hour or so when he's there.

I'd say just keep trying. I truly believe that they'll get there and you can't push them too much. One of the kids at daycare rebelled and flat refused to go on the potty and they've been struggling for over a year! My mum has been pushy for quite some time with PL as well...since birth tbh but I've brushed her off because he just wasn't ready!

It sounds like you're doing everything I would do so if I were you, I'd continue with the routine and just wait. Good luck!
yikes, i hope ds doesnt rebel for a year lol.