Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-03-2012, 01:02 PM   #1
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Anyone get childcare benefits?

Backstory: DH has had his own production company and has worked 3/4 time for a church. A year ago the church ended and he lost the income from that. Then his two biggest clients downsized and replaced his contract work with student workers. He's been employed for about 29 hours a week with a new church and its slow season for the production business. I've been a SAHM, but recently completed DONA birth doula training and am working on my certification. Once I'm certified (could take 3-12 months depending on quickly my certifying births happen) ill work toward building my practice to two births a month and will be able to add to our income that way. In the meantime, I'm looking to hire a childcare person to watch the kids for one or two 4 hour shifts a week so I can actively work on my certification (reading requirements, writing the essay, building the website, networking to find clients, etc), and to have as my "on call" person to watch the kids when I'm called in for a birth.

I put in our applicaion for SNAP benefits to help us get through this rough patch, and saw that they have a childcare thing. I'm curious if anyone here has used the Employment Related Childcare Expenses benefits and how they work. Do you have a set care provider assigned by the state, or do you get to choose someone you know like a family friend?

Advertisement

BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:30 PM   #2
mommyofhjm
Registered Users

I live in OK and I had daycare assistance. I had to have one certified by the state an my kids also had to o a certain amount of time a week.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone get childcare benefits?

I've had them. You have to have a state certified provider. This could be in a group day care or family day care setting, as long as the center is state certified. You may not get your total care paid for. For instance, the state might pay $20 per day and you may be charged $25 per day. So then you have to pay the difference of $5 per day. Just throwing that out as an example. Also, you and your dh would need to be working similar hours. Otherwise they figure if you are working opposite shifts then there is no reason why mom or dad can't be home with their child/ren, kwim? But yeah, it's certainly worth a shot.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:45 PM   #4
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DalesWidda
I've had them. You have to have a state certified provider. This could be in a group day care or family day care setting, as long as the center is state certified. You may not get your total care paid for. For instance, the state might pay $20 per day and you may be charged $25 per day. So then you have to pay the difference of $5 per day. Just throwing that out as an example. Also, you and your dh would need to be working similar hours. Otherwise they figure if you are working opposite shifts then there is no reason why mom or dad can't be home with their child/ren, kwim? But yeah, it's certainly worth a shot.
That's helpful. :-) I have an appointment with them tomorrow, and will talk to them then. I have several options for childcare, but it would be dependent on them becoming state certified, so ill see what they say!
Old 12-03-2012, 09:14 PM   #5
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Coming at it from a dcp pov, I would attempt to find care with someone who was already certified. From my experience it was more hassle to become certified than it was worth. Plus, paperwork had to be completed in a certain way and payment was delayed many months. If this is a person who is counting on that income, it is difficult to ensure the state pays in a timely manner. This is my experience in MO from several years ago. I checked into it and just couldn't afford to not get paid on time, so I didn't get certified.

In our area, it is mostly centers that are certified to accept children who receive child care benefits.
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:26 PM   #6
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2queens&1princenmyhouse
Coming at it from a dcp pov, I would attempt to find care with someone who was already certified. From my experience it was more hassle to become certified than it was worth. Plus, paperwork had to be completed in a certain way and payment was delayed many months. If this is a person who is counting on that income, it is difficult to ensure the state pays in a timely manner. This is my experience in MO from several years ago. I checked into it and just couldn't afford to not get paid on time, so I didn't get certified.

In our area, it is mostly centers that are certified to accept children who receive child care benefits.
That makes sense. I'll look around at the options they have and see what I think. I'm sure my kiddos would have a blast wherever they go, but would really love for them to be with someone I know. I was reviewing the paperwork here for OR, and it seems pretty straightforward. We've had quite a bit of interaction with the state aid stuff this past year (which has been very humbling), and I've been impressed with how easy it is to access aid if you just do the paperwork properly and keep your appointments. It may vary from state to state, but it seems like Oregon does a LOT of social services work, especially in our part of town, and things are very streamlined and work smoothly, as long as the aid hasn't run out. Will check into centers as options tomorrow as well.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:01 PM   #7
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Met with the caseworker today, and it turns out that families only qualify if both parents are W2 employees (vs self-employed). Plus there is a waiting list. :-)

Back to the drawing board!
Old 12-04-2012, 02:23 PM   #8
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

State assistance for care for iowa

a. Ony covers maybe half of cost if that I found out

b. Covers travel time too or should

C. Paid @ month end

D.you can have registered or unregistered

E. Provider constantly do cpr certify to qualify for kid (was 40 here to do that via redcross)

F. Limited provider kids they could watch.