Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-01-2012, 06:26 AM   #11
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Re: I'm Absolutely Clueless

You will definitely not be moving a seat inside every night once you switch to a convertible, that's just not practical. Once you install one, you'll understand. We brought our bucket seat in with baby too when DS was still in the bucket seat, but convet's just don't come in and out like that so you'll quickly have to get used to leaving it in the car.

Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 06:26 AM   #12
Huxley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks. I figured once I got a new seat I wouldn't be able to move it indoors at night. I was just hoping deep down that I could, but by next winter she will be 20 months so I won't be as worried about the cold as I was this winter.

I like the looks of the radian and the Britax, but I want to base my decision only on what I need and not on what looks pretty.
Huxley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:02 AM   #13
itiswhatitis1984
Registered Users

My Mood:
The graco smart seat is a convertible car seat that uses a base. I think the carseat is around $250 and to get an extra base it's another $100. The reviews on it complain about the weight but when I tried it out I didn't think it was obnoxiously heavy. If you are going to change cars a lot I'd be worried about getting a good tight install every time. This way you can instal the base once in each car & just have to latch the seat in.
itiswhatitis1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:18 AM   #14
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

The Smart Seat, while a great concept is not that great of a seat. It's outgrown early in rear facing mode. It's very expensive for what you get in longevity. OP is in Canada and I don't think it's available there.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:01 AM   #15
Huxley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm hopefully going to buy two seats so they can be properly installed in both cars. I'm not rich, but safety is worth whatever the cost.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:06 AM   #16
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica-m View Post
The Smart Seat, while a great concept is not that great of a seat. It's outgrown early in rear facing mode. It's very expensive for what you get in longevity. OP is in Canada and I don't think it's available there.
I think it is actually, I seem to recall seeing it on the TRU website for us, but still, not a great seat.

Your LO and mine are about the same age and size and I'm putting her in a true fit at the end of next month as her infant seat is hand-me-down from her big sister and expires at the end of the year. One nice feature of it since I'll be putting her in it when she's still so little is that the headrest comes off for babies under 22lbs and a certain height, so it really doesn't take up much room front to back. It's a pretty easy install compared to some of the other seats I've tried and isn't too expensive. I think it was about $150 on sale when we got it at zellers, which since they're closing soon should net you some good deals.

For a good convertible up here, you're looking at between 150-200+. There are cheaper seats out there, but you'll find that they're outgrown rather quickly. Convertibles like the Complete air, True fit, and my ride have taller shells and higher strap heights than the cheap models and will last your child to a good booster age. You can get a britax, there's certainly nothing wrong with them, but for the price difference I don't feel they give you much more.

In general, stay away from the seats that claim to RF/FF and booster. They really don't do all of them well and frequently make terrible boosters. The Radian may be an exception, as it's an excellent RF and FF seat, but even so the booster mode is kinda shoehorned in and isn't terribly useful.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:15 AM   #17
Huxley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I like the complete air. It. Is definitely more in my budget. Thank you s much. I don't know why carseats areso overwhelming to me.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:44 PM   #18
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huxley View Post
Wow! Thanks for all the help! I think the Radian is out. There is no way I can handle a tank. I'm a single mom and I like to bring my carseat in at night. It's so so cold here and I find her current carseat stays cold for a long time. I prefer her to not go into a freezing seat (I'm hoping she doesn't outgrow hers until winter is almost over.)
The Radian's not that bad. And you definitely won't want to be installing a convertible every time you have to use it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computermama View Post
I'm putting her in a true fit at the end of next month as her infant seat is hand-me-down from her big sister and expires at the end of the year. One nice feature of it since I'll be putting her in it when she's still so little is that the headrest comes off for babies under 22lbs and a certain height, so it really doesn't take up much room front to back. It's a pretty easy install compared to some of the other seats I've tried and isn't too expensive. I think it was about $150 on sale when we got it at zellers, which since they're closing soon should net you some good deals.
Shoulda checked at Zellers in the city a couple weeks ago. Ours here closed down last month.

Anywhere else TrueFits are available up here? I've only seen it there and at Toys R Us, and it wasn't at TRU when we were there last.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:41 AM   #19
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

They used to be available at safety superstore, but I checked when I posted here and no dice. Not sure where else anymore.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:57 PM   #20
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computermama View Post
They used to be available at safety superstore, but I checked when I posted here and no dice. Not sure where else anymore.
Shoot. I really liked the look of them, but didn't get one for Levi because we planned to need 3-across in the back and would need the Radian for that.
But it would be perfect for Hiccup. Grr.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote